Network layout showoff

Ssoele

My girlfriend has quite the interesting setup over there in Australia. I did same recon on their network and it turned out they didn't have their own ISP.

Instead they had a weird setup where one person in the street got a connection, then shared his connection using a highpower AP. The connection is horrible, drops out all the time, and worst of all the networks aren't protected or separated. I was able to log into various other people's home routers with default settings, because they all shared the same subnet and DHCP and gateway. Especially if the dude's router (the gateway/DHCP) failed or whatever, it meant that we couldn't even access our own router.

Naturally I changed all that, so that her connection with her router was a lot better for local things, but the public connection's still horrible.

(sorry about the bad scheme, I was lazy and frankly it doesn't deserve better :P):

post-93043-0-21460300-1411771339.png

oYL6xIw.png?1

Me and three roommates, all wired connections are 1G ethernet. the two wireless APs are in opposite corners of the house to provied the most coverage. everything is wired because for some reason wifi speeds are crap on all devices at any distance from the APs, even on 5Ghz (no neighbours are using 5Ghz)

Incoming connection is 50/10 VDSL.

raspberry Pi is running raspBMC and is connected to our TV. Ubuntu Server acts as a media server, and anything else we need.

setup spans three floors of our house.

my humble network...

post-4006-0-16550200-1411941780.jpg

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

• 1 month later...

A quick draw up of my setup.. Ask and I'll gladly elaborate..

XU9xlG6.png

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

Here's one I'm due to setup, I've had it showing in my own thread regarding whether it was setup correctly - enjoy 

post-42018-0-95777600-1418651221.jpg

Corsair Obsidian 350D Chassis / i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Strix GTX 970 / 16GB Red Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 Mhz / Asus Maximus VII Gene / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Crucial 250GB SSD / Crucial 480GB SSD / Seagate 1T Barracuda 7,200 RPM SATA III / Seasonic G750W PSU / ASUS Vulcan Headset / Corsair M65 / Corsair K70  / Razer Vespula Mouse Mat / 2 x 22" LG 22EA63 Monitors @ 1080p / 1 x 24" BenQ 144 Hz Gaming Monitor -   :P

Well Heres Some of mine.   I wasnt able to put all the cables on and this doesnt even touch any of the Vlans, Routing or VPN links.  So just some of the physical layer.

At some point I will post the real time network diagram im working on, yay for SNMP

Key:

Red  = 1Gbs

Black = 100 Mbs

Orange = 100Mbs Port Channels

Green = 4GBs Multimode OM4 Fibre

Blue = 1GBs Multimode OM4 Fibre

Any links close togeather are Aggregated links with Spanning Tree enabled (oviously )

my_network.jpg

Well Heres Some of mine.   I wasnt able to put all the cables on and this doesnt even touch any of the Vlans, Routing or VPN links.  So just some of the physical layer.

At some point I will post the real time network diagram im working on, yay for SNMP

Key:

Red  = 1Gbs

Black = 100 Mbs

Orange = 100Mbs Port Channels

Green = 4GBs Multimode OM4 Fibre

Blue = 1GBs Multimode OM4 Fibre

Any links close togeather are Aggregated links with Spanning Tree enabled (oviously )

my_network.jpg

Goodness grief man. Is this at your house or work environment? 

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

My humble network:

post-141680-0-68143700-1419784991_thumb.

Not showing the wireless stuff, wich is a mess of families phones, chromecasts, tablets and other gimmiks

'%o  g233t1ngs=Th3Z0ne `$"

• 2 weeks later...

House. There are way more devices but I was starting to go insane adding them all to the diagram!

What is the power usage of the entire rack? Can't be cheap to power that thing.

What is the power usage of the entire rack? Can't be cheap to power that thing.

Currently at idle its using about 5-6 Amps at 1300W - 1400W

Cost on idle I think is arround £180 a month. Ex VAT

With regards to on full load.  This I havent tested yet,  But will probably turn out to be just under double the numbers above.  When I do ill reply back to this

To be honest,This is mine:

Modem cum Router: Me. :D

I would love to do what your doing here, this is actually beautiful I take my hat off to you sir, as I sai would love to do what your doing well on this scalw, trouble is im 17 and can't even convince my dad (biggest technaphobe) to get a decent router so I'm stick with what I got.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to do what your doing here, this is actually beautiful I take my hat off to you sir, as I sai would love to do what your doing well on this scalw, trouble is im 17 and can't even convince my dad (biggest technaphobe) to get a decent router so I'm stick with what I got.

Im guessing you mean me?  didn't quote :)

The way i got arround "parenting" issues was i just went and bought the stuff of ebay and timde it exactly so it would arrive when no ones home, muahahahha     (dont get your self in to troble though!)

To be fair I did ask first and spend weeks of perswading.  Are you intrested in IT, servers networking? doing a course even?  This is allways a good excuse to buy devices

Im guessing you mean me?  didn't quote :)

The way i got arround "parenting" issues was i just went and bought the stuff of ebay and timde it exactly so it would arrive when no ones home, muahahahha     (dont get your self in to troble though!)

To be fair I did ask first and spend weeks of perswading.  Are you intrested in IT, servers networking? doing a course even?  This is allways a good excuse to buy devices

Yeah, I am, I am currently studying IT at college and off to University soon to study computer systems and networks. I have got some old cisco enterprise and a couple old dell servers just to play around and I did it like you said just got it off ebay. Hehe but I want to get a better home router that will allow me to set my servers up in a DMZ so I can get to them over the internet and maybe host some stuff of them for me and a few friends but stuck with a shitty old BT HH5 that you cannot configure at all. 

Yeah, I am, I am currently studying IT at college and off to University soon to study computer systems and networks. I have got some old cisco enterprise and a couple old dell servers just to play around and I did it like you said just got it off ebay. Hehe but I want to get a better home router that will allow me to set my servers up in a DMZ so I can get to them over the internet and maybe host some stuff of them for me and a few friends but stuck with a shitty old BT HH5 that you cannot configure at all. 

Could just set up a vpn server on one of the dells and port forward which ever vpn protocol you use to the server. Wham bam thank ya mam'

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Haha, new setup. :D

Cable modem --> WNR1000 Router --> Netbook --> WNR3000 V3 Router --> Athena or my Dell

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Haha, new setup. :D

Cable modem --> WNR1000 Router --> Netbook --> WNR3000 V3 Router --> Athena or my Dell

Fuckshit. I still have the old setup. Gotta do something new.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Could just set up a vpn server on one of the dells and port forward which ever vpn protocol you use to the server. Wham bam thank ya mam'

That, Is genius? Why did I never thought of this, Recommendations for a vpn server? 

Only problem is, Don't have a static IP. I should just be able to get round this with Dynamic DNS right?

Only problem is, Don't have a static IP. I should just be able to get round this with Dynamic DNS right?

Yeh use No-Ip and put the IP updater on a server thats allways on. it will keep the dns up todate.  If you use a VPN service then it shouldnt matter what your address is.  I have used privateinternetaccess before. the speeds on that seemed quite good and theres a large selection of vpns all over the world you can connect to.

Allthough it would be hard to run services as you would then be attempting to NAT somone elses static ip on a server.  so you probably wouldnt be able to say host a website from a vpn provider connection.   But what you could do is setup your own VPN server on a VPS.  OpenVPN do a linux OS for building your own private VPN.  VPS provides will give you a static IPv4 and a IPv6  and you can then apply for more addresses.  quite a good option actualy,