Network layout showoff

Ssoele
Just now, iJarda said:

Are you using some pre-sale models? is that C9k2 really C9200-48PXG? I couldn't see that exact model in datasheet (with modular uplink, just fixed 9200L-48PXG) :)

Yah, I think I made a typo and didn't make it clear the uplinks are fixed. It's the 9200L-48PXG

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 1 month later...

Loving all the subtly different ways people have of visualising their networks :)

(really must add my printer /scanner to Birdsnest)Mikes_Home_Network.png.3f7a4e712845772eb675bebd2a03905a.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mj5vbywj8hu31.jpg

From the top (not pictured) Samsung Printer

8 Port Netgear Switch

24 port TP-Link Gigabit Switch

Cisco 3750, not being used. I might sell it.

ESXi "Server" Lenovo thinkcentre m82. i7 3770, 28GB Ram, 250gb and a 500gb

It's running;

1. DC 2016
  2. Exchange 2013
  3. PiHole (Ubuntu)
  4. Apps/SQL

ASA 5505 for VPN access

The R210 ii is my Deployment server Running MDT/PDQ

Xeon E3-1240

16GB Ram

2x 500GB HDDs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

• 2 months later...

My network diagram is pretty simple. There are 16 runs of Cat6 cable running to 3 outlets. 11 in the living room and 5 in the Bedroom. There are also 2 runs of Coax not pictured for backwards compatibility later.

All the Ethernet runs are wired to a patch panel which have patch cables running to the switch.

Everything that can be wired has been wired. The only things that are on the Wireless network are the cellphones and laptops.

Network Diagram.png

• 2 weeks later...

Was searching for network stuff and found this topic. Let me show you my little chaos of a network.
(At least i always kept a well organized schematic over the years, see history)

spacer.png

Everything besides a few things everything is 1Gbit.

- IP-Camera's are 100mbit PEO or Power-injector.

- UPS's are 100mbit

- Denkovi relay controler is 10mbit.

Cables

- All runs are Cat5e as most runs in the house where done around 2003~2004.

- All runs to IP-Camera's are the same Cat5e.

- Everything else is either Cat6a with Keystone termination or premade cat6 UTP/SF patch cables.

- All cables in patch panels are color coded for usage.

I don't watch cable TV that often so i have no coax, besides the 3 meters from tv to the coax splitter.

Have no need for phone in my office because cellphones..

The space between Office+Garage and the House is about 8 meters of lovely concrete pavement/driveway.

- I tried and used Powerline connection.. The power cable between them is 4mm 3 phase. Best speed about 210mbit, average 60mbit.

- I tried outdoor UTP/STP with cable bridge protection. It did not last long, rodents eating my cable, and i cheaped out on the bridge so slowly cursing a regular cat6 cable.

- Finally used the same Cable bridge with pre-made load-bearing fiber cable. It is only OM1 but proof of concept how to make it work.

In the racks, almost all servers are off.. Only two are running 24/7. Most of the un-used servers are hooked up to power management, so; they are completely powerless.

My entire network with this house has a long and annoying history of convenience, ability, and reliability. . See a quick history tour here

Now last week my OPNsense router fried itself. (Temp replaced with MikroTik Routerboard)

Now looking for new hardware for router and looking around for starting on 10Gbit upgrade..

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in this thread a few years ago, and things have changed quite a bit in the home base:

home-net.thumb.png.02ed0afe37108e0e3c373ac3a884727f.png

Sorry for not using pretty 3D stencils and whatnot.  Rectangles are easy. ?

Two Cisco 10Gig "small office" managed switches and one Cisco 1G "small office" managed switch make up the L2 data plane in the house, and they're primarily focused in three locations: the second story office, the first story living room, and the basement.

The office is sitting right over the garage; that's important because of where the FIOS ONT is mounted: right inside the garage.  When I had it installed a bunch of years ago, I had all of my computer gear in the aforementioned office.  So I just had the GigE from the ONT run into the office (through the garage ceiling) and terminated it into the router.

However, a couple of years later, I decided to migrate as much as I could to the basement, save for my gaming and editing rigs.  That meant moving the router, too, which presented a fun problem.  I had an electrician come in and run 4 x Cat6 cables from the basement to the living room, which is adjacent to the garage.  I then messily ran two pre-terminated Cat5(!) cables from the office, through the floor, into the first story living room.  It's a mess, it's amateur-hour stuff, but it worked: I ran them to the wall jack he installed and I had an L1 path from office to basement.  A managed switch at either end of that 2 x GigE connection allowed me to trunk the FIOS connection from the office to the basement, where the router is sitting.  That's why if you look in the lower right corner of the drawing, you'll see my router (FreeBSD box).  It has 2 10GigE DACs in it running to the switch, servicing my two VLANs.  But it also has a copper GigE to the same switch (on VLAN 1) for the FIOS connection.

It works.  It's messy, I hate it, and I want to change it.  Which I'll get to momentarily.

Top down:

Office: Where I do my work and play.  I work from home for 10+ hours a day and then play for the rest of it (and all weekend).  I recently decided to add a new Mac Pro to the mix of hardware, thereby relieving my Windows PC of any and all editing duties.  Since the Mac has 2 x 10GigE, and the motherboard in my PC also has that single 10GigE, I decided it was finally time to 10Gig-ify my house.  The Mac has both run to the switch in an 802.3ad bundle, and it's got both VLANs trunked to it.  The Windows rig's 10Gig is used to transfer data between it and the Mac (think: OBS Studio dumping game play recordings over the 10Gig to the Mac's storage).  Then for giggles, I picked up a Thunderbolt-3 to 10GigE adapter for my Mac laptop, and added that to the mix.  From there, it's 2 x MM fiber links to the basement, to form a 20GigE 802.3ad bundle with the switch down there.

Living room: the important piece of hardware here is the WAP.  Along with that, I have my TV, Roku box, and Blu-Ray player connected to the switch.  This has no real need to be 10Gig, so it's 1Gig.  It's also trunked down to the basement switch.

Basement: "jvp's data center".  When I made the decision to go 10Gig, I also decided to update the servers in the basement.  To them, I added Intel 2x10GigE fiber NICs, ones that come with no optics in them.  I added the same card to the router.  Each of the three devices in question are running FreeBSD, and they instantly recognized the new hardware.  The basement switch has eight SFP+ ports and eight copper 10GBASE-T ports.  So, I also picked up six very short DACs and ran those between the three machines and the switch.  Bundles where needed, VLAN trunks where needed, etc, etc.  And it all works.

Future Project:

The process of running cables directly from my office to the basement (vs hopping through the living room) taught me that: getting cabling from the garage to the basement is silly easy.  Incredibly so, in fact.  With that, at some point in the near future my plan is to run a length of Cat6 from the Verizon ONT, through the wall separating the garage from the basement ceiling, and directly to the router.  That way I won't have to trunk the Internet connectivity through both of those switches.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

• 1 month later...

2020-03-25 23_52_36-untitled.png

Router/Modem - Fritz!Box 7490

Non PoE Switch - DLink DGS-1224T

PoE Switch - Netgear GS305P

Access Point Garden - Fritz!Box 7390

Access Point Livingroom - Powerline 1260E

Access Point Guestroom - Powerline 540E

NAS - QNAP TS-251+

Server - HP DL360G6

Sorry for my really bad skills with this mapping tool...

CPU: Intel i5 6600k Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 Storage: Samsung 840EVO 240GB GPU: MSI 1060 6GB Gaming X

PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 10 500W CM Case: Aerocool DS200

Monitor: Samsung C27F390FHU x2 Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Keyboard: Roccat Isku FX

• 1 month later...

Most of the setup is in the Photo. RedBack 6RU Rack

image.thumb.png.98bdc9f24ddf79087e7b889cf7465f39.png

20200504_071516.thumb.jpg.0b09ee25941a192e03970d95810e8a49.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My updated network. Use RDS in RemoteApp mode to remotely run taxing programs. Reverse proxy on PFSense to run multiple web pages through 1 ip. Also use cloudflare access sso to secure all externally accessed apps. 

andrewnet.local_(1).png

Are you all proud of me?1112111548_Screenshot2020-05-31at1_28_03PM.thumb.png.5ae54d1535a81e561220fdd5c20e911d.pngJust have to remember to download the game when i'm sleeping. Otherwise a tv some phones and a laptop all are wireless.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

All of my end devices apart from the servers are on Wifi. 

Desktops, Laptops, Tablets, Phones, TV's, Consoles, etc....

image.thumb.png.2451475ef33a51674c24e1f638db6586.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

network.thumb.png.d2feaeae12479ac91c986235119e2128.png

My humble network at home

Internet is 109/42Mbit VDSL2 in Germany, router is used as a modem in bridge mode, Cisco 881-4G with 20-25Mbit LTE as backup

PfSense splits it into some VLANs (LAN, IPTV, those 200ish networks on another NIC)

Some cheap TP Link switches running across my house, forgot my guest VLAN (4.x)

WiFi is UniFi, 2 SSIDs (LAN, guest)

ESXi is my reliable friend, a ML310e Gen8 V1, running since 2014 without issues

No internal VoIP, just a VoIP PBX with 2 wire digital phones for now

Those 200ish networks are used in a location just 35m (100ft) away, planned to get its own access (same 109/42Mbit) which will be used as a backup to each other.

Got my hands on a Cisco 3650 and some 1142 APs which are replaced by 2702Is one by one. 3650 is acting as a WLC, 4 of those APs connected, one projector, one SIP DECT base, one printer, and some ports sometimes in use by visitors to either our fire department or our community center. 

Not pictured are some VPNs to volunteer fire fighters (all of those related to managing this FD) to have some personal information (EU GDPR) on site and not somewhere in some public cloud storage. And an offsite backup for a friends car shop. That's it I believe 

vpns.PNG.e0638857730674170437cb5072770f60.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

27238350_Network(1).thumb.jpg.5f6fdce991c1be5b7f4a2954f5d35ccf.jpg

Thought I would share my current setup. 

Currently have four VLANS. 

ISP Internet: 1Gb/s up and down

Router: pfSense on HA (Local DNS 2)

Firewall: Cisco Firepower on HA managed by Firepower Management Center(FMC) on inline mode.

Switches: There are three switches. 

1. Core switch: Cisco 3750x 48T

2. Access switch 1: HPE v1910 48G

3. Access PoE switch 2: Cisco SG250 26HP (Used for APs and Home security)

WiFi: Managed by Cisco Mobility Express

1. Cisco Aironet 2800

2. Cisco Aironet 3700

Servers running:

Primary VLAN

1. Windows AD (Local DNS 1)

2. Umbrella DNS virtual appliance 1 (DNS used by all the devices. Conntected to the local DNS to retrieve local DNS calls)

3. Cisco Primary FMC (Managing the Firepower firewalls)

4. NAS running FreeNAS

5. ESXi to manage the VMs

6. Splunk monitoring 

Secondary VLAN

1. Standy Windows AD (Local DNS 3)

2. Umbrella DNS virtual appliance 2 (DNS used by all the devices. Conntected to the local DNS to retrieve local DNS calls)

3. Cisco Backup FMC (Managing the Firepower firewalls)

4. ESXi to manage the VMs

Public Servers VLAN

1. Cisco Email Security Appliance (Email relay used for spam, reputation and virus email scanning)

2. cPanel running web and mail services

3. VPN server running OpenVPN server on OPNsense

Currently all the links between all the devices are 1Gb ethernet cables.

The next upgrade

1. Move FreeNAS to separate server to host ESXi VM data

2. Configure two ESXi servers on HA on two separate physcial servers managed by vCenter

3. Replace the core switch with QSFP+ compatible switch

4. Replace Access switch 1: HPE v1910 48G with Cisco 3750x 48T

5. Link FreeNAS and the two ESXi servers with QSFP+ link

6. Upgrade the link between switches to SFP+ or SFP

7. Create a backup WAN link using 5G router

2013219359_MyHomeNetwork.thumb.png.803c95147e147aa1acbd8959cf24bcb3.png

Sorry, this is not the most exiting haha and the first network diagram I have made.

Internet: DSL - 35-40Mbps (Download) 8-10Mbps (Upload)

Router: TP-Link AC1600

Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5 Port Network Switch

NAS: Synology DS218play 2 with 2TB Seagate IronWolf HDD

Access Points: BT Whole Home WiFi (3 Disks) (Main AP into switch and others wirelessly connected to first)

If anyone has any ways to improve it then thanks!

My Diagram excludes wireles devices (exception the two IOT devices I own, which are placed on the guest network for security reasons) The ISP gave us a modem/router/AP combo unit, so we have HDCP disabled on it and have the HDCP server and the guest network on the Netgear router. It then goes to two sonic point NI for our APs. I piked these because I found one (the garage) at goodwill and got the second one used off of eBay for about 30$ (if you include the POE injector you need). This is to make switching between APS less of a mess in the back lawn. 

The garage AP is connected through a EOC adapter because it is separate and we don't have the tools to bury a Ethernet cable. Works surprisingly well.

I don't have access to the attic (we don't own a large enough ladder, and it's probably to too hot to work in there anyways), so most of these Ethernet cables go through corners. The black cable is the most noticeable, actually. But there are also ones in the living room and my bedroom and they are practically invisible. 

Home network.png

20200711_171431.jpg

20200711_171542.jpg

20200711_171517.jpg

20200711_171510.jpg

20200711_171448.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I have, I've put a lot of planning in it. My router is at the entrance to my apartment. All of the cabling going through the walls and under the floor and then only goes out at rj45 wall sockets in three places. The forth slot is used to connect alarm system to the internet. All the cables are Cat6. All the switches and the router support gigabit speed. Switches are located in zones where devices are so there are no visible cabling most of the times. PS and Xbox - includes old consoles as well. Sound means soundbar. The only devices in my apartment that are not connect through a wire are laptops, phones, and guests' devices. Everything else is connected.

Internet.thumb.jpg.815e399ce2215385ccda268271fe2fb1.jpg

20200418_183510_HDR.jpg

20200418_195706.jpg

20200806_213257.jpg

I am not a native English speaker, so I might make some mistakes here and there. I am sorry in advance for that. I do my best to write as good and clean as I can. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, eece_ret said:

Day job

-snip-

I'm assuming Standalone VxLAN and not ACI since I didn't see any APIC listed. Why not some 9336C-FX2 instead of the 93240-FX2 boxes? The 9336 can be downsped to 10G if needed but gives you that 40/100G headroom to not need to rip/replace later if you don't need tons of 10G port density. If it's not ACI, are you doing standalone management via the CLI? API and a third party tool? DCNM?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yup.  Stand alone NXOS, no ACI.  BGP EVPN Ingress replication.  EVPN Edge routers (93240 FX2) underlay single OSPF domain peered across L2 Backbone.  Good Q on the 9336's.  They are slated as my upgrade path for local site expansion.  For cost reasons we are utilizing the 93180's I for that purpose as the 93180s are simple l2 boxes for VSAN traffic (Basically a FC design using Ethernet/IP instead of FC).  The backplane capacity is large enough that with our current deployment, the added 100G intrasite interconnects with VSAN full tilt (16port at full 25G Bi Directional), we still have more than enough headroom.  Once our Edge Router population exceeds the available ports, the migration path to 9336's is very straighforward.  As im using dual OSPF uplinks off routed interfaces, I can down an entire side of an EVPN edge router migrate it to another L2 infrastructure (9336) without loss of traffic (BFD utilized here)  Easy peesy.

Management via Ansible :)

Except for VRF Formation and BGP peering.  Thats by hand (uncommon workflow, less time to just do it than work through all the playbooks)

DCNM looked very interesting, but we felt the cost of which could be put to more pressing needs.

Just now, eece_ret said:

DCNM looked very interesting, but we felt the cost of which could be put to more pressing needs.

Yah, the people I deal with use DCNM now for their fabrics after a long battle. I remember ~2 years ago when we/they started looking at DCNM 10.4 and comparing it to now (11.4) the difference is night and day with the added features/functionality. It's definitely come a long way and the automation via API is nice but if you're not doing large (2000-4000+ port) fabrics it doesn't really make sense though since you could easily manage a few small fabrics without it and the added cost just isn't worth it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

"automation via API is nice but if you're not doing large (2000-4000+ port) fabrics it doesn't really make sense though since you could easily manage a few small fabrics without it and the added cost just isn't worth it."

We came to teh same conclusions :) 

On 8/17/2014 at 7:24 AM, Ssoele said:

Some rules

<snip>

• It must be your own network; Don't try to impress by showing off a corporate network, we are looking for consumer networks :D

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: