Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ssoele

Network layout showoff

Well I thought I had a pretty interesting setup until I visited this thread.  Still think my setup is worth a share at least.  Not really sure where I can make improvements at this point.

Everything that is connected via Ethernet (the non-dashed lines) is full gigabit, of course with the exception being the connection to my ISP.

qbLEjDY.jpg

I know, double NAT... It's worked fine for the last year or so, so I've seen no reason to change it until I get 250/125 Mbps fibre in a few weeks and the N600 is going and Smoothie's red interface is going straight into the ONT.

Dotted black = 100Mbps copper

Solid black = Gigabit copper

Blue = 4x 1Gbps link aggregated

Red = Gigabit fibre

post-73198-0-51156400-1452360146_thumb.p

In terms of IP addressing, the main network is on 192.168.0.1/23 with servers, switches, APs etc. being on 1.x and PCs, phones, tablets etc. being on 0.x.

There's also an experimental guest network on 10.0.0.1/24 and the N600>Smoothie network is on 172.16.0.1/24.

Network.PNG

I plan on replacing the Spark Digital Supplied VDSL Modem at some point in the future.
Due to the stellar wireless performance I purchased two APs and disabled the built in wifi to save it!  ;) 
As well as the 100mbit switches to gigabit.

The Hyper-V host domain controller has only been used so far for furthering my understanding of Domain Networks and as a practice lab.

Usually it is left off. The Hyper-V host itself is run in Core mode so NO fancy smancy GUI stuff there! - and in some ways I like it like that!
The two access points are at either ends of the house as we have some weird deadzones. One is inside on a rooms ceiling while the other in the roof cavity.
Finally as a side addition, I have a VPS which currently this network image is hosted and has my own badly made website to serve as my CV of sorts!

A little bit about my computer devices.

The Hyper-V Host was a recently Purchased i7 6700 non k with 16GB of ram. ITX form factor with 6 sata ports for modest storage capacity.
The original plan is for it to be a media server/storage/whatever device and that the system had to be less power hungry than my main rig which was originally running the plex role. Hence the 65w skylake non K Overkill for a media server but the plan was to allow for 4 1080P transcodes which is an extreme situation.

The Main Rig was a 4770K with 16GB 1866Mhz Ram and 2 R9 290 non x's Windforce OC. Which these have since been sold and helped pay for a new Gigabyte 980ti G1. 

The two machines live in the same "case" which is the HAF Stacker. The VM Host lives in the ITX portion while the Main lives in the top larger part.

The Surface Pro 3 is my old laptop replacer (for an i7 740QM 8GB ram) and so far I have been loving the portability and battery life when compared to the old 1st gen i7 laptop I had. This particular purchase was done during the new year sale trying to push the pro 3's out in favor for the 4's.

Here's my work network: Aside from some older existing infrastructure, most of which I've rebuild over the past couple of years.

We've got three buildings.

2WhdJCM.png

This is our rack in the office:
3Tci6Ke.jpg

Top to bottom:
- UPS

- PFSense box

- SG300-28P
- SG100-24

-(right: CradlePoint AER2100)

- Lenovo TD230, redundant AD domain controller and backup target server

- Lenovo RD630, hyper-v hypervisor, 48GB of ram, 8x300GB 2.5 10krpm Lenovo branded Seagate Sas drives, 8x640GB 7.2krpm Sata 2.5 WD blacks, two raid controller cards.
left, AC, flex conduit going to our production building.

I only have about 6 VMS in hyper-v.

domain controller, our main storage server (8x640gb drives in raid 10.  looking back at it, i should have made it raid 60. but oh well too late now.), elastix server as backup for sending faxes over ip only.
as well as some other VMs i won't mention here.

Production building Demarc. wall:
r3kXPbI.jpg
top to bottom:
- left, shaw cable demarc.  middle: shaw cable modem, ip phone hacked for PA use (speakerphone connected directly to PA amplifier (littl gray box to right))
- left, cisco SG300-28PP, right: cisco UC540 router and iphone system i've installed. i regred going with UC540. do not buy it.
- UPS 1000G

in the same building we have a fiber media converter, with fiber going underground to our 3rd building:
indXbFt.jpg

This is something that was inherited from the previous owner of this lot. (Telus used to have one of its offices where they sent technicians out of.).
- fiber cable has multiple fibers in it as you can see on the left. but only 2 are being used.

- the media converter is old, duplexer limited to 10mbit :(

csqGqrA.jpg

Third building, has the same box as above and same duplexer media converter, also has this we've inherited, but unfortunately it would cost too much for us to have it connected, (yes I am crying on the inside)
r5VEqTs.jpg

I have a mini-network under my desk:
33SeKW6.jpg

reason being, my machine is a E32 workstation with i7-4770, 16GB ram, 240gb ssd for OS and 2x1tb drives, two network adapters, and nvidia k2000 2gb GPU

win10 pro.
I run hyper-v with clonezilla DRBL server.
The left monitor on my desk is for imaging computers. for now I just have a 4port kvm.

We've been planning to deploy the CradlePoint AER2100 as our edge router with LTE failover only for out ip phones. (we have no POTS left here)
but I came to hate CradlePoint device and the company. hate is a bit of a strong word here, but every other feature in the firmware is "licensable" meaning you need a separate subscription for additional routing protocols, separate for better security, and separate subscription for warranty (yes device comes with 0 warranty), separate subscription for cloud management. Customer service is absurd, and really bad. Their cloud subscription covers 10 devices, but they do not tell you this, and I found this out by accident when I was exploring it after the fact. they've sweet talked us and got us excited with the 4g lte failover and how amazing the device is. anyway. disclaimer: CradlePoint hardware really is great. But seems like they cater to big enterprises with many micro branches and or kiosks. But not a good choice for single entity small business. Routing features are fairly limited.
So. I've decided to use PFSense for our edge, and it will be connected to Cradlepoint for failover. I just haven't done the switch yet.

UC540, is 100Mbit. and is quite a bottleneck in our network. Thanks to ARP tables on the switches, most of our workstation to server communication doesn't even touch the router. But everything else, and the internet traffic is bottlenecked.
We pay for 50mbit. UC540 bottlenecks it down to 30mbps at absolute best.

PFsense on that old dell (what u see in pic is what it is, it has not been modified or upgraded, other than using old 60gb ssd for pfsense image).
anyway PF sense on that dell gives me full 50+ mbit path to shaw.

CurrentHomeNetwork2.png

Yeah, not much.

Edit: We now get 4mbps down and 0.1mbps up

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

58 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

-snip-

Recommendation, after having just had a 2 hour power outage - make UPS arrangements for an AP with the minimal amount of hardware required (basically, connect an AP to your UPS along with the PFSense router and modem)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Heres Mine :) Soon upgrading my server as well... Build Log Maybe?

Home Network.png

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

16 hours ago, brwainer said:

Recommendation, after having just had a 2 hour power outage - make UPS arrangements for an AP with the minimal amount of hardware required (basically, connect an AP to your UPS along with the PFSense router and modem)

Yes, I forgot to include the PoE injector for the AP which would be at the server room with the UPS.

Thanks

Edited by mcraftax

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

~snip~

See below.

DreamCorvette: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 4x Kingston KVR 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H ~ Sapphire RX 580 8GB ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ WD Green 6TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64
Acorn: 2x Xeon E5-2680 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16C/2L ~ AMD R9 380 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Asus PIKE 2008 ~ 4x WD Red 3TB ~ HGST 3TB NAS ~ Windows 10 Pro Workstation amd64
NASter: Core 2 Quad Q9550S ~ 4x Micron 2GB DDR2-800 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P5BV-C ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ 6x WD Green 2TB ~ 2x WD Red 2TB ~ Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS amd64
Battlebird: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Hynix 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64

Rachel: Apple MacBookPro8,1 ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 2x Samsung 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB ~ Samsung SpinPoint 1TB ~ macOS High Sierra amd64
Dinosaur: Dell Latitude D620 ~ Core 2 Duo T7400 ~ Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston 1GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Intel 945PM ~ nVidia Quadro NVS 110M ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64
RavineAudio: Raspberry Pi Bodel B ~ ARM1176JZF-S ~ Elpida mDDR2 512MB ~ Broadcom BCM2835 ~ Broadcom VideoCore IV ~ SanDisk Extreme 8GB microSD ~ Wolfson Audio Card ~ Raspbian Server armv6f

On 11/4/2015 at 4:49 PM, peterino55 said:

I Posted about 2 months ago and I have completely rebuilt my network. I learned a lot about networking, and now feel like a genius. Here is a diagram of what I'm running now: 

May I ask why you seem to dismiss the ISP part of it? Shitty coax and modem? My background is DOCSIS engineer, so seeing that makes me cringe TBH.

Looking over most of these, almost know one gives data for what they use on the ISP side. I just don't understand how someone can spend 10's of thousands of dollars on network equipment, but then take what ever junk gateway their ISP gives them. 

3 hours ago, Trikein said:

May I ask why you seem to dismiss the ISP part of it? Shitty coax and modem? My background is DOCSIS engineer, so seeing that makes me cringe TBH.

Looking over most of these, almost know one gives data for what they use on the ISP side. I just don't understand how someone can spend 10's of thousands of dollars on network equipment, but then take what ever junk gateway their ISP gives them. 

I live about 50 miles away from the ISP going through about 20 hubs. When people start using networks in other neighborhoods, the entire network slows down. Not to mention my ping to the ISP's Speed test server is greater than 10Ms. I also pay $180 a month for 150 down, and 20 up. They are burning my money for shitty service.

homenet.png.3fb7a7f9d0e15ea1c11b3844ec8e

The basic infrastructure layout is:

• Incoming fiber to the ONT in my garage (right below my 2nd story office).
  • Ethernet from the ONT up to the FreeBSD router (self-built) in my office; easiest run to make.
  • Router has 2 other Ethernets run to the managed switch in the office (Cisco SG300)
  • Office switch connects via 2xGigE 802.3ad bundle to the Cisco SG500 switch in the basement.
  • Living room switch (SG300) also connects to basement switch via a 2xGigE 802.3ad bundle.

VLANs:

• Public VLAN: I have a /28 of public space from my ISP.  On this, I put my various web pages, mail server, DNS server, etc.  The NAT for my private VLAN is also within this /28.
  • Private VLAN: What it sounds like.  Ye ol' RFC1918 VLAN for things that don't need direct access to/from the Internet.

Nodes:

• FreeBSD router (self-built w/3 GigE ports) running the appropriate levels of IPFW and PF for security for the entire house.  Also NAT'ing for the private VLAN.
  • Windows gaming rig - pretty self-explanatory.  I don't want it NAT'ing, so it has a native connection to the 'net, but filtered to hell and gone.
  • Apple Airport Extreme WAP - Acting in "bridge" mode only.  It's not routing at all.
  • Various entertainment center devices - They're networked for code updates, etc.  Yay.
  • Mac Mini - boots right up into Kodi to play the (legally-stored) movies on my NAS.  Configured to use the MySQL database on the NAS as well.
  • FreeBSD NAS - Lots of 4TB HDDs RAID10'd together.  Runs a MySQL db for various things, and is also a central GIT server for configs and whatnot.
  • QNAP Backup - 4-bay QNAP server I use only for backups and nothing else.
  • FreeBSD Server - The heart and soul of the network.  Runs several FreeBSD jails for various services (mail, web, etc), as well as all sorts of other things I need.

System Specs:  Asus Rampage VI Extreme board | Intel Core i9 7900X (OC'd to 4.7GHz) | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (OC'd to 4GHz) | 2 x NVidia 2080Ti FE cards (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case ( RIP CaseLabs 😞 ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster ZxR card | Schiit Yggdrasil | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Displays: Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display | 2 x LG 27UK650-W 4K displays |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Asus R6E monoblock | 2 x EK 2080Ti waterblocks | 2 x AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rads | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 21 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Gaming rig Fire Strike Extreme results

Updated network map! This is just the physical connection map, logical map coming up later.

I don't really have much room for wirelessly-joined units so they are ignored. I am not a fan of giving away my IP address configuration so those are not included. However should you join my home networkmost of those devices' FQDN addresses can be resolved correctly. And yes I bought that domain for my home use.

Also, big image warning.

56c5eaa2462fa_networkmapv2physical.thumb

DreamCorvette: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 4x Kingston KVR 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H ~ Sapphire RX 580 8GB ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ WD Green 6TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64
Acorn: 2x Xeon E5-2680 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16C/2L ~ AMD R9 380 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Asus PIKE 2008 ~ 4x WD Red 3TB ~ HGST 3TB NAS ~ Windows 10 Pro Workstation amd64
NASter: Core 2 Quad Q9550S ~ 4x Micron 2GB DDR2-800 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P5BV-C ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ 6x WD Green 2TB ~ 2x WD Red 2TB ~ Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS amd64
Battlebird: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Hynix 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64

Rachel: Apple MacBookPro8,1 ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 2x Samsung 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB ~ Samsung SpinPoint 1TB ~ macOS High Sierra amd64
Dinosaur: Dell Latitude D620 ~ Core 2 Duo T7400 ~ Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston 1GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Intel 945PM ~ nVidia Quadro NVS 110M ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64
RavineAudio: Raspberry Pi Bodel B ~ ARM1176JZF-S ~ Elpida mDDR2 512MB ~ Broadcom BCM2835 ~ Broadcom VideoCore IV ~ SanDisk Extreme 8GB microSD ~ Wolfson Audio Card ~ Raspbian Server armv6f

3 hours ago, maxtch said:

Updated network map! This is just the physical connection map, logical map coming up later.

I don't really have much room for wirelessly-joined units so they are ignored. I am not a fan of giving away my IP address configuration so those are not included. However should you join my home networkmost of those devices' FQDN addresses can be resolved correctly. And yes I bought that domain for my home use.

Also, big image warning.

56c5eaa2462fa_networkmapv2physical.thumb

love the domain name, but you know your home address is now available on the internet right? https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=maxcrib.info - you should look into GoDaddy's Private Registration product.

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

love the domain name, but you know your home address is now available on the internet right? https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=maxcrib.info - you should look into GoDaddy's Private Registration product.

That address was my dorm room in school (and I have stopped living there) so I think it is okay.

Yruidqn.png

The cluster of servers at the top are all running on one host(using HyperV because my dad wanted to try it). I used the PC image for the Chromecasts and Raspberry Pis because there were no better images.

4 hours ago, thenetheremperor said:

2016-03-12 18_27_11-MainWindow.png

If I'm reading this right, both of your powerline adaptors are also APs? I ask because you have wireless links coming from you powerline adaptors. Also, where is your modem/ont?

On 11/3/2015 at 4:49 PM, peterino55 said:

I Posted about 2 months ago and I have completely rebuilt my network. I learned a lot about networking, and now feel like a genius. Here is a diagram of what I'm running now: 

Hope you enjoy my network, just as much as i had making it.

Thanks, 

Peter

Edit: Forgot to add my wireless printer, oh well.

Are you running CARP between the two pfsense firewalls? Do you currently only have a single IP?

54 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Are you running CARP between the two pfsense firewalls? Do you currently only have a single IP?

I'm only running one pfsense firewall. I only have one IP.

@peterino55 oh I see, your diagram shows "exact copy of router" - I assumed you were using CARP with failover, something I'm looking to do but have been lazy. From what I have read, it's do-able with pfSense 2.2 and a single IP. Thanks for replying!

Just now, Mikensan said:

@peterino55 oh I see, your diagram shows "exact copy of router" - I assumed you were using CARP with failover, something I'm looking to do but have been lazy. From what I have read, it's do-able with pfSense 2.2 and a single IP. Thanks for replying!

Sorry for the confusion.