Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ssoele

Network layout showoff

Recommended Posts

On 8/17/2014 at 12:24 PM, Ssoele said:

 

Nice :o 


CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

 

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | Dell PowerEdge R210 II Exchange 2016 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PNG, JPG, and PDF Versions Attached...

Network Layout_Direct.pdf

Network Layout.png

 

 

 

 

Edit: Wanted to put a gap in between the PNG and JPG versions! The one above is the PNG with transparency...the JPG below is the smaller one...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Network Layout.jpg

Edited by DanielNS84

CPU: Intel 9900K @ 5Ghz
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 TI Founders Edition

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Boot) + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB x 2 (RAID-0) @ 16-20GB/s Read & 12-18GB/s Write* + 16TB RAID-1 NAS Drives

Motherboard: Asus WS Z390 PRO (PLX+)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 14-14-14-34
Case: Cooler Master H500P Gun Metal + 3 x Noctua 3000 Industrial
PSU: EVGA - 1000 T2 Modular PSU
Display(s): Acer - Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor + TCL 55S405 55" 4K HDR Display (Gaming Mode) + Samsung 27" Display
Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB (Cherry MX Red)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
Sound: Corsair Void Pro Wireless 7.1 Headset
OS: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Other: 8TB External Backup - PCIE->M.2 Adapter (PCH) - U.2->M.2 Adapter
PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CTmBJ8

*These Speeds are Explained Here: https://youtu.be/JRzJbyssvds

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, DanielNS84 said:

PNG, JPG, and PDF Versions Attached...

Network Layout_Direct.pdf

 

 

 

 

 

Edit: Wanted to put a gap in between the PNG and JPG versions! The one above is the PNG with transparency...the JPG below is the smaller one...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've been thinking of adding a second connection for redundancy. Do you use your ATT DSL as a backup?


Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 GPU: AMD MSI RX580 MB:ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock AMD SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE MOUSE: Corsair M65 Pro RGB HEADSET: Corsair Void Pro RGB

 

Linux Ubuntu Rig CPU: Intel i3 6100 GPU: N/A MB: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb DDR4 2400MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: N/A (8GB USB drive used for OS) HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/500GB Seagate Barracudax2 PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair Spec-01 KB: Same as Main

 

MacBook Pro: Late 2016 with 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, i5 CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Here is my home setup. Didn't bother with drawing the wireless devices. But i use a surface pro 4 mostly in the outdoor area close to the AC AP Lite, 2 iPhones (me and my wife), 2 iPads (Kids), Galaxy Tab (work), Galaxy phone (work) and two Chromecast audios. When we moved in i also put an ethernet connection in the bedroom for a smart tv, but we never used it, so i put that tv in the outdoor area. I also put in an extra ethernet cable to the living room for the tv settop box, because it needed a straight connection to the modem, but we got rid of the cable tv because we never watched it.

 

network.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather boring so far, standard consumer-grade gear, I will be turning an old computer into an ESXi host and offload the VMs off my desktop onto that.

As you can tell from the little IP range list, I'm leaving myself lots of headroom with my IP designations, I'd rather not change that in the future once this expands.

 

The reason I have the second router running as a full router and not running them in bridged is because the first one is a router/modem combo and it doesn't have good configuration options, which the second one allows. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly forward ports through two NATs, but, eh, I'll figure it out.

network.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do some of you run your own DNS Servers and not use 3rd party DNS like Google or ISP?

Am I missing out on something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GazCBG said:

Why do some of you run your own DNS Servers and not use 3rd party DNS like Google or ISP?

Am I missing out on something.

They still probably rely on 3rd party recursive DNS servers such as Google, OpenDNS/Cisco Umbrella, Cloudflare/1.1.1.1, Quad9, or their ISP's resolver. It's that they also have a local resolver that will cache frequently used DNS queries, allow them to create DNS records for internal uses (like assigning servers with FQDNs or assigning PTR records to RFC1918 IP addresses), and blackhole certain DNS queries for security or ad-blocking purposes (like in the case of Pi-Hole). Other reasons why you won't directly point to external recursive DNS servers might be due to requirements from other network services/applications like Active Directory. 

 

Just so you know, even 3rd party DNS resolvers need to query other DNS servers on the internet when it receives a query that doesn't exist in its cache, having a local DNS server just adds another layer.


My Build : Intel i7-9700K - Asus Strix Z390-E - 32GB Vengeance RGB

- Nvidia Titan Xp - 1TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an ordinary Homelab Network Topology, definitely not overkill.

Now just awaiting to change ISP to one where I can get 10Gbit symmetrical connection.

Home network topology.png


DreamHack Production Crew | Revision Demoparty Organizer | Birdie Production Crew | Assembly LiveCrew

 

Cmdr.Homer/JML^Birdie Crew

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cmdrhomer said:

Just an ordinary Homelab Network Topology, definitely not overkill.

Now just awaiting to change ISP to one where I can get 10Gbit symmetrical connection.

 

How much did the C5010P set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

How much did the C5010P set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I found it on Ebay for 250 euros but that thing is loud and power hungry.


DreamHack Production Crew | Revision Demoparty Organizer | Birdie Production Crew | Assembly LiveCrew

 

Cmdr.Homer/JML^Birdie Crew

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cmdrhomer said:

I found it on Ebay for 250 euros but that thing is loud and power hungry.

Ah ok, still a pretty solid deal. Currently running a Nexus 3048, also loud and power hungry lol. Wish I knew I couldn't set the MTU per port before buying it however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Ah ok, still a pretty solid deal. Currently running a Nexus 3048, also loud and power hungry lol. Wish I knew I couldn't set the MTU per port before buying it however.

Just curious, why not just set it globally to allow jumbo frames for all L2 ports?

I assume you need to have it at a specific MTU for compatibility reasons with something else but figured I'd ask :)


Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Just curious, why not just set it globally to allow jumbo frames for all L2 ports?

I assume you need to have it at a specific MTU for compatibility reasons with something else but figured I'd ask :)

I'm using 1GB ports on it still, figured it would cause a lot of fragmentation at the devices who are all 1500? Is that right or am I crazy (novice networking guy)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

I'm using 1GB ports on it still, figured it would cause a lot of fragmentation at the devices who are all 1500? Is that right or am I crazy (novice networking guy)?

Yah, unless you're IPv6 only which does path MTU discovery and adjusts automatically, I have to double check but I believe for IPv4 it will send jumbo frames first and if they are too big then the client should respond with a packet saying "too big" and the sender should drop the frame size down and not cause any more fragmentation. Been a while since I've dealt with that though so I could be wrong.


Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, unless you're IPv6 only which does path MTU discovery and adjusts automatically, I have to double check but I believe for IPv4 it will send jumbo frames first and if they are too big then the client should respond with a packet saying "too big" and the sender should drop the frame size down and not cause any more fragmentation. Been a while since I've dealt with that though so I could be wrong.

Given the nature of the nexus I don't think it would drop the MTU size whereas a normal switch might should that be the case. It's ok for now, I'm getting close enough 10GB speeds in the end to not worry. Think I got around 800-900mbyte/s and I'm content lol. I've never tried going ipv6 internally (or at all for that matter), may be a fun project.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Given the nature of the nexus I don't think it would drop the MTU size whereas a normal switch might should that be the case. It's ok for now, I'm getting close enough 10GB speeds in the end to not worry. Think I got around 800-900mbyte/s and I'm content lol. I've never tried going ipv6 internally (or at all for that matter), may be a fun project.

Having jumbo frames enabled on the switch doesn’t cause it to magically do anything to traffic going through it - the client and server devices also have to have the MTU set higher so that they know to try jumbo frames


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brwainer said:

Having jumbo frames enabled on the switch doesn’t cause it to magically do anything to traffic going through it - the client and server devices also have to have the MTU set higher so that they know to try jumbo frames

Isn't the opposite true - if a client sends a jumbo frame to the switch set to 1500, the switch will cut it up into 6 pieces (9000/1500) and send them on their way? I thought it would also gather up frames of 1500 until it has a frame of 9000 and send that down the pipe, where a client set to 1500 would have to deconstruct it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

Isn't the opposite true - if a client sends a jumbo frame to the switch set to 1500, the switch will cut it up into 6 pieces (9000/1500) and send them on their way? I thought it would also gather up frames of 1500 until it has a frame of 9000 and send that down the pipe, where a client set to 1500 would have to deconstruct it?

The switch will not recombine frames, because layer 2 has no function for that. Splitting and recombining packets is done by IP (layer 3). The only place you might see a switch change MTUs of packets is if you are actually using it for routing.


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my home network, but at my dorm-room (student Applied Informatics).

Want to replace the cheap TP-Link and dumb swich with a PfSense-box, managed switch and a decent AP (cheap TP-Link only has 2.4GHz).

Laptop and phone not included.

image.png.835a7c2bafb82ec1ce6cafe7ca8fb2fb.png


Be safe, don't drink and sudo

 

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

536509643_NewNetworkShelf.thumb.jpg.2b1a4db250b91192b62fd17980e60880.jpg

 

This the latest photo of my network "hub" in the linen closet in my bathroom (more room there and it's out of sight and out of mind). I've since added an el cheapo landline phone for when the power is out and relocated the UPS to where I could more easily see the LCD panel. The two Ethernet cables disappearing into the Keystone wallplate on the left go to my computer and printer in another room.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×