Network layout showoff

Ssoele

Why do some of you run your own DNS Servers and not use 3rd party DNS like Google or ISP?

Am I missing out on something.

13 hours ago, GazCBG said:

Why do some of you run your own DNS Servers and not use 3rd party DNS like Google or ISP?

Am I missing out on something.

They still probably rely on 3rd party recursive DNS servers such as Google, OpenDNS/Cisco Umbrella, Cloudflare/1.1.1.1, Quad9, or their ISP's resolver. It's that they also have a local resolver that will cache frequently used DNS queries, allow them to create DNS records for internal uses (like assigning servers with FQDNs or assigning PTR records to RFC1918 IP addresses), and blackhole certain DNS queries for security or ad-blocking purposes (like in the case of Pi-Hole). Other reasons why you won't directly point to external recursive DNS servers might be due to requirements from other network services/applications like Active Directory. 

Just so you know, even 3rd party DNS resolvers need to query other DNS servers on the internet when it receives a query that doesn't exist in its cache, having a local DNS server just adds another layer.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

• 4 weeks later...

Just an ordinary Homelab Network Topology, definitely not overkill.

Now just awaiting to change ISP to one where I can get 10Gbit symmetrical connection.

Home network topology.png

23 minutes ago, cmdrhomer said:

Just an ordinary Homelab Network Topology, definitely not overkill.

Now just awaiting to change ISP to one where I can get 10Gbit symmetrical connection.

How much did the C5010P set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

How much did the C5010P set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I found it on Ebay for 250 euros but that thing is loud and power hungry.

5 minutes ago, cmdrhomer said:

I found it on Ebay for 250 euros but that thing is loud and power hungry.

Ah ok, still a pretty solid deal. Currently running a Nexus 3048, also loud and power hungry lol. Wish I knew I couldn't set the MTU per port before buying it however.

26 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Ah ok, still a pretty solid deal. Currently running a Nexus 3048, also loud and power hungry lol. Wish I knew I couldn't set the MTU per port before buying it however.

Just curious, why not just set it globally to allow jumbo frames for all L2 ports?

I assume you need to have it at a specific MTU for compatibility reasons with something else but figured I'd ask :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Just curious, why not just set it globally to allow jumbo frames for all L2 ports?

I assume you need to have it at a specific MTU for compatibility reasons with something else but figured I'd ask :)

I'm using 1GB ports on it still, figured it would cause a lot of fragmentation at the devices who are all 1500? Is that right or am I crazy (novice networking guy)?

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

I'm using 1GB ports on it still, figured it would cause a lot of fragmentation at the devices who are all 1500? Is that right or am I crazy (novice networking guy)?

Yah, unless you're IPv6 only which does path MTU discovery and adjusts automatically, I have to double check but I believe for IPv4 it will send jumbo frames first and if they are too big then the client should respond with a packet saying "too big" and the sender should drop the frame size down and not cause any more fragmentation. Been a while since I've dealt with that though so I could be wrong.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, unless you're IPv6 only which does path MTU discovery and adjusts automatically, I have to double check but I believe for IPv4 it will send jumbo frames first and if they are too big then the client should respond with a packet saying "too big" and the sender should drop the frame size down and not cause any more fragmentation. Been a while since I've dealt with that though so I could be wrong.

Given the nature of the nexus I don't think it would drop the MTU size whereas a normal switch might should that be the case. It's ok for now, I'm getting close enough 10GB speeds in the end to not worry. Think I got around 800-900mbyte/s and I'm content lol. I've never tried going ipv6 internally (or at all for that matter), may be a fun project.

49 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Given the nature of the nexus I don't think it would drop the MTU size whereas a normal switch might should that be the case. It's ok for now, I'm getting close enough 10GB speeds in the end to not worry. Think I got around 800-900mbyte/s and I'm content lol. I've never tried going ipv6 internally (or at all for that matter), may be a fun project.

Having jumbo frames enabled on the switch doesn’t cause it to magically do anything to traffic going through it - the client and server devices also have to have the MTU set higher so that they know to try jumbo frames

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

Having jumbo frames enabled on the switch doesn’t cause it to magically do anything to traffic going through it - the client and server devices also have to have the MTU set higher so that they know to try jumbo frames

Isn't the opposite true - if a client sends a jumbo frame to the switch set to 1500, the switch will cut it up into 6 pieces (9000/1500) and send them on their way? I thought it would also gather up frames of 1500 until it has a frame of 9000 and send that down the pipe, where a client set to 1500 would have to deconstruct it?

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

Isn't the opposite true - if a client sends a jumbo frame to the switch set to 1500, the switch will cut it up into 6 pieces (9000/1500) and send them on their way? I thought it would also gather up frames of 1500 until it has a frame of 9000 and send that down the pipe, where a client set to 1500 would have to deconstruct it?

The switch will not recombine frames, because layer 2 has no function for that. Splitting and recombining packets is done by IP (layer 3). The only place you might see a switch change MTUs of packets is if you are actually using it for routing.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

• 2 months later...

Not my home network, but at my dorm-room (student Applied Informatics).

Want to replace the cheap TP-Link and dumb swich with a PfSense-box, managed switch and a decent AP (cheap TP-Link only has 2.4GHz).

Laptop and phone not included.

image.png.835a7c2bafb82ec1ce6cafe7ca8fb2fb.png

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

536509643_NewNetworkShelf.thumb.jpg.2b1a4db250b91192b62fd17980e60880.jpg

This the latest photo of my network "hub" in the linen closet in my bathroom (more room there and it's out of sight and out of mind). I've since added an el cheapo landline phone for when the power is out and relocated the UPS to where I could more easily see the LCD panel. The two Ethernet cables disappearing into the Keystone wallplate on the left go to my computer and printer in another room.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. Im also planning doing something like this but ATM getting money piled up for house building loan takes priority... For now i have this pretty messy setup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8vutht7lcuwzze/IMG_20190625_120138.jpg?dl=0

And i replaced the apu board to something beefier:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93yjvw48sbkac4v/IMG_20190625_120611.jpg?dl=0

(Its in the middle with the taped down power button.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwk3y8dk41bzxj6/IMG_20190625_120847.jpg?dl=0

Here's my first ever attempt at setting up a network rack, so dont judge too harshly.

20190701-214140.jpg

20190701-213736.jpg

Ignore the white ethernet cable coming out of the switch to the right, it's just there for me to plug in the laptop to configure the switch. 

I have a few more things on order to help clean it up a bit more as well. 

The next step is going to be a Unifi USG Pro 4. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 weeks later...

The basic network center of my house down in the basement.  It gets the job done keeping all the ones and zeros flowing efficiently throughout the house and all my networked devices are happy.  The next step is I need to learn how to do a really good network diagram of everything in the house, and not just the basement that you see here.  I usually have about 40-50 IP addresses connected at a given time (there is an abundance of wireless smart home devices at work). 

595030446_BasementRack1.thumb.jpg.6fc5eed2e519d1c2874aa828d505d667.jpg

1630077034_BasementRack2.thumb.jpg.ab025055892f24de95b889d5ad731949.jpg

1473795222_BasementServer1.thumb.jpg.e5292905487863d793027a06ff26b637.jpg

2109848574_BasementServer2.thumb.jpg.47724df9b86bc42244d6e6e4357c0337.jpg

65387313_BasementServerBoxCooling.thumb.jpg.714c9745c0d8a53b57edcb2ee10a36dc.jpg

The reason the server is mounted in the job site box was an experiment to see if was feasible to have something bolted to the floor so it would be hard to walk off with the security footage if someone broke into the house.

The media converters were an experiment to see about providing an air-gap/non conductive break between my cable modem and router from lightning electrical surges coming in on the coax cable. Same reason for the separate 8 port POE switch was so in case of lighting surge from a camera it wouldn't take out my main switch.

The orange patch cables go to wall jacks throughout the house, the yellow patch cables connect to items in the basement, and the red jacks are for the security cameras.

Breakdown of equipment used:

Tripp-Lite SR2POST 45U 2 Post Rack

24-Port CATV Patch Panel

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 24 Lite w/ 2 LC SFPs

1U Brush Panel

24-Port Cat6 Patch Panel

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 8 POE 150W w/ LC SFP

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3

1U Brush Panel

(3) OpticalSNS Media Converters w/ LC SFP

Netgear CM1000 Cable Modem

CyberPower CPS-1215RM Power Distribution Unit

BenQ GW2265 Monitor 22 Inch wall mounted to 8U Blank Panel

Keyboard Shelf

Back of Rack (not seen) - Raspberry Pi3B+ (Pi-Hole)

Back of Rack (not seen) - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro

Rigid 2032-OS Job Site Box

Added Ventilation Box w/ Fan

Dell XPS 8900 Computer/Server for Plex and BlueIris

24GB RAM

(2) WD Red 8TB Drives (For Plex Media)

(2) WD Purple 2TB Drives for Security Cameras

APC 1500LCD UPS

1439977799_HomeNetwork-Nov2020.thumb.jpg.dcb704af28f74dec16ca7bd958f4466c.jpg

Last updated: Nov 2020

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 7/24/2019 at 3:49 AM, PsyOpWarlord said:

The reason the server is mounted in the job site box was an experiment to see if was feasible to have something bolted to the floor so it would be hard to walk off with the security footage if someone broke into the house.

And how bad are the CPU temps under load? I imagine the ventilation is pretty bad despite the fan blowing air in....

On 7/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, jagdtigger said:

And how bad are the CPU temps under load? I imagine the ventilation is pretty bad despite the fan blowing air in....

It hasn't impacted the temps at all being inside the job box.  The crappy stock cpu cooler is the only impact on the temps.  Running Prime95 for about 2 hours maxing the CPU, I get about the same temps whether the computer is in or out of the job box.  Averaging around 80-84 degrees C.  Again that is because of the cheap Dell cpu cooler.  During the 2 hours in both tests the CPU never throttles.  In fact the base clock is 3.4Ghz and it stayed boosted to about 3.47 at the lowest.

I never changed the stock cooler because at the load I generally have the CPU running (16-30% utilization) for BlueIris and Plex, the CPU never gets hot.

Now if you want to see some HOT cpu temps, the AMD 9590 cpu I have running in my computer in the loft is a certified space heater.  Even with liquid cooling it scorches

On 7/28/2019 at 6:07 AM, PsyOpWarlord said:

the AMD 9590 cpu I have running in my computer in the loft is a certified space heater.

Same with my 4670k running at 4.5 GHz. I had to resort to delidding and liquid metal... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is my first time doing a network diagram, and i know it sucks really bad, but here is my Home Network Setup. For WI-Fi, i have around 30 connected wireless devices. (to be clear, all devices in this diagram are hard wired).

Network Diagram.PNG

On 7/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, Lurick said:

1799318384_HomeNetwork-v5.jpg.3c6dada8108d182324a70909a5f107d5.jpg

Are you using some pre-sale models? is that C9k2 really C9200-48PXG? I couldn't see that exact model in datasheet (with modular uplink, just fixed 9200L-48PXG) :)