Network layout showoff

Ssoele
1 hour ago, dr_sepheroth said:

Now all we need is a network diagram of an ISP internal network setup and we will all be home free, till next term, studying.

Complex stuff....

Don't even need an ISP internal network setup diagram for complex. Just a good size enterprise company should do the trick. Heck, for a testbed we have setup in our lab if you take a basic Vizio diagram size, with about 35 devices in the standard block. Imagine that multiplied by 30.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, dr_sepheroth said:

Now all we need is a network diagram of an ISP internal network setup and we will all be home free, till next term, studying.

Complex stuff....

The rules from the first post say you shouldn't post your work networks. But a standard ISP network is going to be pretty bland - a CMTS or DSLAM for connections to residents, this connected by fiber or coax (even DSL uses coax for backhauls, or did before fiber) to routers (true routers, as in devices that only route). And that's everything if you are talking about what it takes to get people to the internet.

Things can get more complex when you talk about MPLS or MetroE products, because then you typically start talking about routing tags (as in, the route through the network is decided at the edge, not at each riuter) and extra VLAN tags to seperate customers.

A WISP network would be interesting to see for me, because they typically have lots of PtMP APs with various methods of connecting them together, like PtP wireless, and every type of wired connection imaginable.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I may be a computer geek but I know when I have been out done/ what is;

• MPLS
  • MetroE
  • PtMP
  • WISP
  • CMTS
  • DSLAM 

7 minutes ago, dr_sepheroth said:

I may be a computer geek but I know when I have been out done/ what is;

• MPLS
  • MetroE
  • PtMP
  • WISP
  • CMTS
  • DSLAM 
  • MPLS - Multiprotocal Lable Switching: A label is made for each endpoint, and the path through the network for each label is predetermined and known by all the devices. A bandwidth limit is typically applied for each label as well. Usually each label is only for communication between two endpoints, I'm not sure if that's how the protocol is required to work, or if that's just how it is always used. Data on the network is handled purely by its label, meaning that the data being carried can be any other type of communication. This makes it more flexible and efficient than ethernet switching and IP routing.
  • MetroE - Metro Ethernet: an ethernet network that is across a metro area (a city and some of its surrounding area). This is also called a MAN or Metro Area Network. It can be used to connect seperate offices in a city. Simple implementations just use QinQ VLAN tagging to seperate customers. 
  • PtMP - Point to MultiPoint: basically the same as your home router/ap, which is a single point and talks to multiple client endpoints. But a PtMP typically uses a sector antenna, which is an antenna that only broadcasts in a 30 degree wide direction. Often a WISP will use one of these on a tower or tall building and point it towards multiple customers' houses, if they are all in the same direction.
  • WISP - Wireless ISP: an ISP that connects to their customers using wireless technologies. See the video Linus made about the Ubiquiti product that does wifi over several miles - that was two PtP antennas, but a WISP can use much more complex setups.
  • CMTS - Cable Modem Termination System: The device that talks to all the DOCSIS modems connected in a specific geographic area, like part of a neighborhood. This is where the bandwidth limitations of DOCSIS take place, because the single coax connection between the CMTS and a bunch of modems can only carry a specific amount, which is limited by the DOCSIS version of the CMTS (and if there is a few old modems, they do cause the other modems to slow down because the CMTS has to take more time to talk to the old ones)
  • DSLAM - Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor: The device that talks to all the DSL modems in a given geographic region. Because there is a dedicated phone line to each customer, the bottleneck is not  the bandwidth to all the customers, but what version of DSL the DSLAM uses, and what its upstream bandwidth to the rest of the ISP's network is. The distance to a specific customer matters much more than with DOCSIS because amplifiers cannot be used, but one customer does not slow down other customers as it does with DOCSIS.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Thank you very much this helps me quite a bit with another issue I have been having for a few years. I think I just worked out why my ISP cuts out once a month.

At least once a month we have very stormy weather (including lightning and thunder) that would set up a signal block in the atmosphere between a PtMP network.

• 2 weeks later...

s1v8158k93001l1q2w90.png

This is my network. The items in red are planned, I just don't know if they will work. The idea is to have my pc, and only my pc, be able to access the cameras, while still having access to the main network. 

20 minutes ago, Kovi said:

This is my network. The items in red are planned, I just don't know if they will work. The idea is to have my pc, and only my pc, be able to access the cameras, while still having access to the main network. 

You'd want to look at VLAN tagging specific ports in that case. Have the cameras as well as your PC with untagged VLAN traffic meaning they are segregated from the rest of the network. Note you'll need a smart/managed switch that supports VLAN tagging.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 5:10 PM, Windspeed36 said:

You'd want to look at VLAN tagging specific ports in that case. Have the cameras as well as your PC with untagged VLAN traffic meaning they are segregated from the rest of the network. Note you'll need a smart/managed switch that supports VLAN tagging.

Is it possible to have a single VLAN supporting NIC connect to two VLAN networks at once?  Such as a private VLAN network with no internet (for cameras) and a second VLAN network for internet and other devices?

This will sound a little bit silly but im planning on making a cabinet for my networking stuff and i need advice on how much airflow it will need. Networking stuff:

Spoiler

Netegear fvs336g

TP-Link TL-SG3216

NSA325

NAS540

Arris modem

On 12/12/2016 at 7:15 AM, jagdtigger said:

This will sound a little bit silly but im planning on making a cabinet for my networking stuff and i need advice on how much airflow it will need. Networking stuff:

Hide contents

Netegear fvs336g

TP-Link TL-SG3216

NSA325

NAS540

Arris modem

You might want to consider making this its own topic.  But regardless, here is my opinion:  With the higher end switches and two NAS units going in the cabinet, you'll probably need active cooling (a fan).  There are a lot of pre-made cabinet fans to choose from.  Here are a couple things to consider: 

1. Get one with an AC (wall) plug on it, so you don't have to power it off of a USB port on one of you NAS units.  (But a USB one would still work). 
  2. Get one with some kind of speed control.  You can adjust it to find the right balance between noise and heat. 
  3. Get one with fan grills on it to give the fans some protection against wires and other foreign objects.

Here is an example:  http://a.co/9SmMOlh  This exact unit would not work for you in Hungary because of the plug type and voltage.  However, it gives you an example to go off of. 

A cheaper (do it yourself) alternative:  You can get an old computer fan and attach an old USB plug to it.  Then buy a fan grill and screw it all to the side of the case (after cutting a hole).  

1 hour ago, Zoravar said:

You might want to consider making this its own topic.  But regardless, here is my opinion:  With the higher end switches and two NAS units going in the cabinet, you'll probably need active cooling (a fan).  There are a lot of pre-made cabinet fans to choose from.  Here are a couple things to consider: 

1. Get one with an AC (wall) plug on it, so you don't have to power it off of a USB port on one of you NAS units.  (But a USB one would still work). 
  2. Get one with some kind of speed control.  You can adjust it to find the right balance between noise and heat. 
  3. Get one with fan grills on it to give the fans some protection against wires and other foreign objects.

Here is an example:  http://a.co/9SmMOlh  This exact unit would not work for you in Hungary because of the plug type and voltage.  However, it gives you an example to go off of. 

A cheaper (do it yourself) alternative:  You can get an old computer fan and attach an old USB plug to it.  Then buy a fan grill and screw it all to the side of the case (after cutting a hole).  

I already solved the PSU problem(link its maybe a little bit overkill but better to be safe than sorry :D ), i just do not know how much airflow is needed. Im planning on using 140mm high static pressure fans(with dust filters on the intake fans).

• 2 weeks later...

This is my current one after the upgrade i will be doing soon, it's a lan network so no internet :P

Capture.PNG

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

A little bit of information about the network:

1) Router #1 is the main router in the house that manages all wirelessly connected devices and is the only wifi network in the house. This router was ISP provided to work the full uplink/downlink of the AT&T 1Gb/s fiber connection, so as much as Router/Modem combos make me cringe, there was nothing I could do about it.

2) Router #2 is depicted outside the rack, but that was a mistake on my part. It is above the firewall on the rack and is hardwired to the control laptop (Not wireless as depicted in the topology).

3) Don't even ask about the rack. How internet moves in the rack is that Router #1 connects to Router #2 which then connects to the firewall. The firewall then sends one CAT 6 to each of the two switches. Each device in the rack has an equal number of cords going to each switch. This allows for both a redundant local network in the rack and also allows for the switches to alternate to allow the maximum throughput. The smart switching is done through a custom flashed os that I built at Stanford over the summer.

So that's my network, I wish I could have spent more time making the drawing more detailed, but my patience was running thin with the lines not being straight and level.

--

Carson

file-page1.jpg

Is there any way to accommodate for very different topologies on different layers? My home network contains a managed switch trunk and the mixed use of 802.3ad LACP link aggregation, 802.1Q VLAN and PPPoEoV gave me very different topologies on physical and data link layers.

Every machine also have a FQDN under a domain name I bought for my home network, and runs a dual IPv4/IPv6 stack with corresponding addresses.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

3 minutes ago, maxtch said:

Is there any way to accommodate for very different topologies on different layers? My home network contains a managed switch trunk and the mixed use of 802.3ad LACP link aggregation, 802.1Q VLAN and PPPoEoV gave me very different topologies on physical and data link layers.

Vizio can do multiple layers, you just toggle them on and off.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is my net setup......

Both Server 2008 R2's: DHCP, DNS, IIS, ADDS

Server 2012 R2: DHCP, DNS, IIS, ADDS, Emby Media Server

Server 2016: DHCP, DNS, IIS, ADDS, File And Storage Services

ANDREWNET.png

Net Neutrality Is Key!

http://www.andrewnet.net

andrew@andrewnet.net

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated diagram after some additions and changes :)

oVjvG1C.jpg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 10/28/2015 at 7:35 PM, ItsDaGeek said:

Just a bit overkill...

Network Layout.PNG

What did you make this in???

25 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

What did you make this in???

Looks to me like Visio 2013

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 weeks later...

My current setup:

Q0Y6gPg.png

The Mikrotik RB2011 handles firewalling, routing, NAT, DNS and WiFi access point management.

Remote VPN access is handled by the Mikrotik hEX Gr3 (for its AES hardware acceleration). It easily pushes 100+ Mbps over IPSEC (quite an achievement considering the price point of this device).

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 10:05 AM, Lurick said:

Updated diagram after some additions and changes :)

oVjvG1C.jpg

That setup is insane for a home! How's the multigigabit wifi and the controller in the 3850? did you get the switch and the AP's from work?

10 hours ago, Gaub said:

That setup is insane for a home! How's the multigigabit wifi and the controller in the 3850? did you get the switch and the AP's from work?

It's great, the only thing I forgot to include in there was the 2504 WLC which I'm using for now just because the latest 3850 software doesn't have support for the 3802 APs yet. I think that's coming in April or June. We somehow ended up with a couple extra 3850 switches and 2 boxes of 10 APs instead of 2 single APs which we don't need so they let me bring one of the switches and two of the APs home.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: