Network layout showoff

Ssoele

This thread is meant to show us your network layout.

Some rules

• You must have a proper network diagram; Something made in Microsoft Visio, Gliffy (Free) or something similar.
  • No all-in-one boxes; There is not much to show off if your network only has 1 networking device.
  • It must be your own network; Don't try to impress by showing off a corporate network, we are looking for consumer networks :D

I will start off with showing my home network

05992714c4.png

Networks

• 0.x (Green, 0.0.0.0/0): This is the network directly from the modem, unfiltered. Settopboxes are set on a VLAN so they can communicate with my ISPs interactive services.
  • 1.x (Blue, 172.16.0.0/12): This is our main network, all normal clients are connected via WiFi or on switch 1.2 and 1.3.
  • 2.x (Orange, 192.168.0.0/16): This is our public network, everyone can connect to our public hotspot, but can't access our main network.

Switches

• 0.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424
  • 1.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424
  • 1.2: TP-Link TL-SG2424
  • 1.3: TP-Link TL-SG3210
  • 2.1: TP-Link TL-SG3424

Gateways

• 1.1: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8, this one also does the DHCP for 1.x
  • 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

DHCP

• 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

DNS

• 1.1: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2
  • 1.2: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2
  • 2.1: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense
  • 2.2: Embedded system based on a APU1C4 running PFSense

Portal

• 2.1: Supermicro server running Windows Server 2012R2 and acting as portal for our hotspot

Access points

• 1.1: Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC
  • 1.2: Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR
  • 1.3: Ubiquiti UniFi AP
  • 2.1: Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

Servers:

• 1.1: Custom server running Minecraft with dedicated IP
  • 1.2: ESXi running multiple VM's
  • 1.3: Custom server running Windows Server 2012R2 and acting as a NAS

This has gotten a lot more complicated compared when I first saw it 6 months ago

Quite a bit :D

Quite a bit :D

I really love your Networking Setup. You're the only one who has a complicated (a very complicated indeed) setup. Until and Unless LMG has one :)

I will look forward to have something like this :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Do they do it automatically or do we have to make each box and labels? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Do they do it automatically or do we have to make each box and labels? 

You have to make it yourself, it isn't that hard, you drag everything on, you place your connections and then it's just some finishing touches like colours and stuff.

I can't even bridge my two routers

Consumer routers can be a pain to work with, they often do stuff you don't want them to do, or vice-versa.

Switch 2.1 and Switch 1.1 should have a link between them which would improve network redundancy.

They are 2 separate networks, with different DHCP servers and different IP-ranges, connecting them would cause clients from 1.x to get IP's in the range of 2.x and vice-versa.

So.... I'm not going to be able to compete with the OP. All of this gear is off the shelf and excluding cabling the network itself (i.e. routers, APs, switches etc) is only ~$500 worth of gear. Maybe a bit more, I don't exactly keep track. Anyways, here's mine. I'm pretty happy with it and I thought this thread needed something a bit simpler :)

gallery_20033_1574_41492.png

A bit of a guide to reading it....
- Each box is a separate room

- Solid lines are Ethernet, fine dotted lines are powerline and dashed lines are wireless

- The thickest solid lines are 1Gbps links, the other lines are 100Mbps

- NAS is a consumer grade 2 bay NAS, the two Sonos speakers are Play 1s

- 8Mbps Internet..... because Australia

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

-snip-

Definitely not a bad setup. Main thing that would bother me is the slow connection and the modem/router combo, but if it works for you, then that's fine.

Definitely not a bad setup. Main thing that would bother me is the slow connection and the modem/router combo, but if it works for you, then that's fine.

Yup, sure does. It's a shame you can only really order from the services that are available. Short of using 4G and paying through the nose for data, paying double for a second line and a load balancing router or moving to an area with FTTH about 20km away I'm kinda stuck with it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If you have any questions or ways that I can improve the layout, please let me know.

NOTE: The DHCP & DNS server is only used for testing. I don't use it on a day to day basis. However I might plan to add some Active Dir services later on, I would then start to use it.

68i7Lfm.png

ISP:

1) BT Fiber 90Mb/s on a normal day. (Download) and often around 30Mb/s (Upload) on a normal day

Gateway:

1) Netgear, I can't remember what model exactly

Switches:

1) Netgear (5 Port) GS105 ProSafe

2) Netgear (48 Port) GS748TS Smart Switch

Nas:

D-Link ShareCenter DNS343

Servers:

Sophos UTM 9 (Intel i3, 8Gb Ram, 60Gb SSD, 12 Ports) (Linux Based)

Minecraft (Hp) (2xXeon 1.6Ghz Quad Core, 32Gb Ram, 2x500Gb SSHD) (Linux Based)

Voice & GMOD (Dell) (2xXeon 1.6Ghz Dual Core, 6Gb Ram, 1x80Gb HHD) (Windows 7)

DCHP & DNS (Intel i3, 8Gb Ram, 60Gb SSD, 4 Ports) (Windows Server 2012)

Printer:

Kodak c310 All In One Printer

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

-snip-

Doesn't look so bad, how much did you pay for the UTM 9?

I try to keep the hardware setup simple:

y5rjQB5.png

VM side of things is more complicated. As you can tell I stopped trying to make the diagram pretty

sfgogqJ.png

Red is the WAN network

Black is the LAN network with a route to the internet

Blue is the internal network for accessing storage

The docker network is actually a separate natted network and should be a different color

Dotted line indicates inactive connection.

Doesn't look so bad, how much did you pay for the UTM 9?

Around $250, not 100% sure it was a while back. (Yearly) You can install and use there basic endpoint and firewall for free as far as I know.

They also offer the product in the form of either a .iso or a pre-made vm disk image.

*They offer a free trial for users who wish to try out all it's features. If you run a med-large network I suggest you check it out. It's features are amazing, and It has alot of them.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

snip

I don't get it, why so many devices?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Cable modem --> router --> me

Haha, new setup.  :D

Cable modem --> WNR1000 Router --> Netbook --> WNR3000 V3 Router --> Athena, my Dell, or whatever is hooked up to my third Ethernet cable or the wireless (which is off).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

JKJvdtO.png

I had to zoom way out to show everything. This is an older diagram that doesn't quite show everything(i don't have time to make a new one right now).

ISP: Google Fiber 1Gbp/s

Switch: Zyxel 1910 24 port

Servers: 9+ Virtal Machines running web servers, Minecraft, Terrraria, domain controllers, file servers and etc.

Physical Servers: 2 ESXi hosts with 32gb of ram each and E3 Xeon CPUs

1 NAS with 12+ TB of storage

Routers: 2x pfSense on my networks and 1x on my brother's network

Access Point: Ubuiqti Unifi & D-Link business access point

Also pictured - My friends little virtual network inside my ESXi hosts, he uses it for development and code storage. And I also have a site-site VPN to my brother's house so we can access each-others resources.

Not pictured - fiance's computers, set top boxes, TV, and etc.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

-snip-

That is actually quite the setup, what are you running as hypervisor?

I don't get it, why so many devices?

Most of the devices you will find in a typical consumer router, the problem with that is is that those devices are extremely underpowered and your options to set things up are very limited.

Most of the devices you will find in a typical consumer router, the problem with that is is that those devices are extremely underpowered and your options to set things up are very limited.

I am aware of that. My question still stands:why do you need such a network at home?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

That is actually quite the setup, what are you running as hypervisor?

KVM