Project Toaster [NCASE M1, 4670K, Impact Z87, GTX 970 G1][WIP]

Butterfish
Go to solution Solved by Butterfish,

Finally some news on the project! - well, it's not good news.. 

I want to first apologize to everyone who were following this thread and expecting progress..

Project Toaster is sadly over, due to my lack in time and interest in the build. It was a fun ride, but i realized that the case was just too much of a hazzle and with all the setbacks i had with months and months of waiting for parts, i just couldn't bare it anymore. The toaster has gotten a new owner - one of my close friends. He needed a small chassis for carrying around, and i thought it would be best to give it to someone who would appreciate it alot more. I have therefore decided to switch back to ATX for now.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the support and replies on this thread. Who knows - maybe i will come up with something new? ;) I will keep you updated.

To see the final pictures of the build - click here

Fin

Nice!

I always wanted a triple screen set up. The monitor choice is maybe the hardest decision for me to make on my build. I dont know if I want a Swift, a 4K or a 34" Ultrawide. I really have NO IDEA.

Picked these babies up for around 180 bucks. That's really cheap considering 20% of the price is tax. The image quality is almost identical to my $550+ PB278Q. Impressive! Besides the image they look really nice :wub:  

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

But... triple screen is for the desktop experience? My GTX980 couldn't game at that res...

why do you think i smacked two 670's in SLI? :D Can hardly do 60fps on low in far cry 4. I'm beginning to question if my ncase can handle this res considering i only can fit one GPU.  :wacko:

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

Yea that's kinda what I meant, unless a 990 (omg please let a 990 come) I think triple screen gaming on a single GPU thus NCASE is out. So the triple screen you just set up isn't for NCASE build?

Well it is for the ncase build. Or maybe not. IDK LEAVE ME ALONE

Just kidding. I'm hoping that a 970 will be able to run 60 FPS in most games at low. I don't really need it to run at max über graphics. Honestly i'm a bit split between. The good thing about the ncase is that i can grab one of the screens and my ncase which fits perfectly together for a transportable LAN rig. Maybe i should do two builds. O.o What have i gotten my self into

Main Rig
Phone

Well it is for the ncase build. Or maybe not. IDK LEAVE ME ALONE

Just kidding. I'm hoping that a 970 will be able to run 60 FPS in most games at low. I don't really need it to run at max über graphics. Honestly i'm a bit split between. The good thing about the ncase is that i can grab one of the screens and my ncase which fits perfectly together for a transportable LAN rig. Maybe i should do two builds. O.o What have i gotten my self into

ROFL its so true... 

I want X99, so bad, sooooooooooooooo bad.

ROFL its so true...

I want X99, so bad, sooooooooooooooo bad.

high res gaming is an evil circle. You can't just buy triple monitors and expect it to run properly xD

Main Rig
Phone

I think i've just come up with a potential solution to my problem. My main reason for getting the ncase was for a nice small LAN rig. When i'm at a LAN party i only really play CS:GO and not really anything demanding. This means that my rig doesn't have to be powerful. But when i get home i want to plug it into my surround setup and thats where it starts to struggle. So here is my solution:

I throw a cheap mobo and my old GTX 670 in the NCASE and use it only for LAN parties. (and possibly a HTPC, who knows?) 

My main rig will therefore be MATX/ATX and maybe feature something like 970 in SLI. 

What do you guys think about this approach? Does it sound like a good plan or will my build log die alongside with it? Leave your thoughts :)

Main Rig
Phone

I think i've just come up with a potential solution to my problem. My main reason for getting the ncase was for a nice small LAN rig. When i'm at a LAN party i only really play CS:GO and not really anything demanding. This means that my rig doesn't have to be powerful. But when i get home i want to plug it into my surround setup and thats where it starts to struggle. So here is my solution:

I throw a cheap mobo and my old GTX 670 in the NCASE and use it only for LAN parties. (and possibly a HTPC, who knows?) 

My main rig will therefore be MATX/ATX and maybe feature something like 970 in SLI. 

What do you guys think about this approach? Does it sound like a good plan or will my build log die alongside with it? Leave your thoughts :)

or wait a little for a R9 395X2 or GTX 990 and use the 670 for now :)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

or wait a little for a R9 395X2 or GTX 990 and use the 670 for now :)

Do you think the SX500-LG could handle an R9 395X2?  :blink:

Main Rig
Phone

Do you think the SX500-LG could handle an R9 395X2?  :blink:

lol ... no :D

but I'd guess that the SX600 could handle a 990 : /

lol ... no :D

but I'd guess that the SX600 could handle a 990 : /

But the sx600 whines like a b*tch  :(

Main Rig
Phone

tried to calculate the psu wattage for an r9 290x2 if i were to put it in my rig. 750W recommended.. nope :D

Main Rig
Phone

But the sx600 whines like a b*tch  :(

... well even a SX500-LG should be able to handle a gtx 990 together with a Z97 board/cpu.

Then again there really is no word on a 990 out there ... YET :P

... well even a SX500-LG should be able to handle a gtx 990 together with a Z97 board/cpu.

Then again there really is no word on a 990 out there ... YET :P

Yea and it's probably gonna cost me at least an arm and a leg :P

Main Rig
Phone

Yea and it's probably gonna cost me at least an arm and a leg :P

well I'd say about 999 Euro at launch ?! :D

(i.e. two 980s)

well I'd say about 999 Euro at launch ?! :D

(i.e. two 980s)

Yea no :P

Main Rig
Phone

Yea nomaybe? :D

Yeah no, danish tax? RIP

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Nice setup! How is the experience of the triple screen setup?

I was thinking a lot for a triple setup but I think I'll just go with a 29" screen and a little second screen.

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

Nice setup! How is the experience of the triple screen setup?

I was thinking a lot for a triple setup but I think I'll just go with a 29" screen and a little second screen.

it's epic to game on. I'm not really bothered by the borders. It was a bit disorientating at first but generally an awesome immersive experience :D

Main Rig
Phone

@MrSuperb I think I'm gonna wait for the sx500-lg and grab a reference 970/980. As long as I can get above 60fps on low I'm a happy man :)

Main Rig
Phone

@MrSuperb I think I'm gonna wait for the sx500-lg and grab a reference 970/980. As long as I can get above 60fps on low I'm a happy man :)

3x1080p sohuld be more than doable with a 970/980 ... yeah no ultra settings or high AA, but 3x1080p shouldn't really that much of a problem.