Choose Firefox Now, Or Later You Won't Get A Choice

Builder

Firefox used to be great. Now it's just clunky and a Chrome wannabe.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

You've conversed with me before :P

not about retarded conspiracies ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

What features doesn't it have?

The main one. The ability to synchronize across multiple platforms instead of just one platform. Google chrome as far as im aware can run on Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, iOS. I use all of those obviously so it makes sense I use Chrome. Fair enough firefox is on some of those platforms but Firefox doesn't do what I need it to do.  

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

What's wrong with you people? Don't you know IE is back and better than ever?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2dk60t/we_build_internet_explorer_i_know_right_ask_us/

Of course it is better than ever. It couldn't get much worse. Even though it's better now doesn't mean it is good. IE is still a pretty shitty browser in most regards.

I agree with the article. Google has clearly shown that they are willing to lock people out unless they do not use other Google products (for example removing features from YouTube and Docs) which is 100% pure bullshit and I am surprised that it's not illegal.

The main one. The ability to synchronize across multiple platforms instead of just one platform. Google chrome as far as im aware can run on Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, iOS. I use all of those obviously so it makes sense I use Chrome. Fair enough firefox is on some of those platforms but Firefox doesn't do what I need it to do.  

Firefox is on all but one of the platforms you listed (iOS) and what thing can't you do in Firefox that you can do with Chrome?

To everyone saying Firefox is inferrior: Why?

I can't actually find a huge difference between them in speed or even UI recently. Firefox's download system is vastly superrior in my opinion (I understand this is largely preferecne), and firefox tends to be much more customizable out of the box. I use 90% Firefox and 10% Chrome on the desktop (chrome for google service plugins like hangouts). I use 99% chrome on my android phone. I feel like I would notice if desktop chrome was really so supperior. Just curious what some actual reasons are that people think it's better or if it is completely reputation and perception that give it the edge for most people.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

But Google stuff actually works.. So why not use it?

Works + innovating is good enough for me.

Firefox has a lot of junk, doesn't run as smoothly, nor does the UI look as good as as intuitive as I want it to.

Im transitioning away from all things goole.

Browser: Maxthon

Search engine: Duckduckgo

Phone: Still android.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hahaha. I dont care. If i need chrome, i can make websites think maxthon is chrome!!!!

post-53826-0-14075700-1408209308.png

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hahaha. I dont care. If i need chrome, i can make websites think maxthon is chrome!!!!

When Maxthon says it's a "cloud browser", what does it mean, exactly? 

I despise the cloud.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

When Maxthon says it's a "cloud browser", what does it mean, exactly? 

I despise the cloud.

No idea. Its not that cloudy. I can sync downloads and tabs over the cloud and stuff, so i can have my p\hone and pc synced passwords and stuff, but you dont ahve to do any cloud stuff

Firefox is on all but one of the platforms you listed (iOS) and what thing can't you do in Firefox that you can do with Chrome?

His data syncing thing. To be honest last time I tried it it was glitchy and not very consistent with regards to what got synced but I guess if it works for him then fine. The cool thing about Firefox is that if you wanted a feature like that you could implement it yourself. Take the user data file and write a script to automatically sync it to Dropbox regularly and then you could even integrate it yourself and who knows, you could try doing a Pull request and your change might actually get added to the full release.

Now that Nitro is available for third party browsers I bet Firefox will be on there soon. Edit: Actually, it seems they wanted to use Gecko on iOS. I'm not sure iOS 8 is allowing that, though it would be cool.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I was a Firefox Aurora user for a long time and it was doing what I wanted it to do. Then my computer crashed due to Flash Player errors and I tried Chrome for the first time. There it didn't happen and I think I won't be switching back to Firefox anytime soon.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I switched to firefox 1-2 years ago because I wanted to "get more privacy"(along with along with all the others computers in the house), the switch lasted a couple of months , finally i stopped giving a crap about that and switched back to chrome, so much better, maybe firefox has improved since the last time i used it but i like chrome better

person below me is a scrub

On Windows machines, I've used Chrome primarily for years, though every now and then I switch to Firefox for a bit. Recently, I decided to give IE11 a chance on my PC desktop. It's really not a bad browser imo, in fact I think I like it better than Firefox (I'm typing this right now in IE11). On my Macbooks however, I prefer Safari.

I will say that I work in QA with web automation and we're hammering IE, Chrome and FF in Windows, and Chrome, FF and Safari in OSX 8hrs a day, 5 days a week. Chrome never crashes. It just seriously never crashes. IE crashes on occasion, or occasionally gets into a state where it just starts doing.. inexplicably weird.. things. Firefox however crashes all the time. The FF crashing seemed to start with version 24. Some of the versions since have crashed less, some crashed more. But it crashes far more than any other browser. But again, we are hammering these browsers all day, so it's not necessarily something an end user would observe nearly as much as we do. From a QA/web automation perspective though, we all hate it.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

-snip-

What's Safari like? I've actually never had a Safari crash, can't say the same for all the other ones though.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

attachicon.gifHahaha.png

You can change the user agent in all browsers.

His data syncing thing. To be honest last time I tried it it was glitchy and not very consistent with regards to what got synced but I guess if it works for him then fine. The cool thing about Firefox is that if you wanted a feature like that you could implement it yourself. Take the user data file and write a script to automatically sync it to Dropbox regularly and then you could even integrate it yourself and who knows, you could try doing a Pull request and your change might actually get added to the full release.

Now that Nitro is available for third party browsers I bet Firefox will be on there soon. Edit: Actually, it seems they wanted to use Gecko on iOS. I'm not sure iOS 8 is allowing that, though it would be cool.

But Firefox has syncing.

Mozilla won't support it even when they get access to Nitro. They didn't do it when Safari on iOS was using Webkit either. They want to use Gecko and their own javascript engine (Rhino or whatever they are currently using). Apple is crap and won't allow anything other than reskinned Safari on iOS so Mozilla just said "fuck it, we won't release Firefox on iOS until they change their terrible policy".

I switched to firefox 1-2 years ago because I wanted to "get more privacy"(along with along with all the others computers in the house), the switch lasted a couple of months , finally i stopped giving a crap about that and switched back to chrome, so much better, maybe firefox has improved since the last time i used it but i like chrome better

What is so much better about Chrome?

On Windows machines, I've used Chrome primarily for years, though every now and then I switch to Firefox for a bit. Recently, I decided to give IE11 a chance on my PC desktop. It's really not a bad browser imo, in fact I think I like it better than Firefox (I'm typing this right now in IE11). On my Macbooks however, I prefer Safari.

I will say that I work in QA with web automation and we're hammering IE, Chrome and FF in Windows, and Chrome, FF and Safari in OSX 8hrs a day, 5 days a week. Chrome never crashes. It just seriously never crashes. IE crashes on occasion, or occasionally gets into a state where it just starts doing.. inexplicably weird.. things. Firefox however crashes all the time. The FF crashing seemed to start with version 24. Some of the versions since have crashed less, some crashed more. But it crashes far more than any other browser. But again, we are hammering these browsers all day, so it's not necessarily something an end user would observe nearly as much as we do. From a QA/web automation perspective though, we all hate it.

What makes IE better than Firefox?

About the crashes, it sounds like it's an issue with your computer/config. Have you tried doing a complete reinstall of the browser and made sure it's not some plugin or addon that causes the crashes?

It sounds really weird because I honestly don't have any issues with crashes on any browser, and crashes seems to be the major complaint about all browsers these days. I suspect that most of the crashes people are reporting (for all browsers, not just Firefox) are ID ten T errors.

For those who have encountered issues with Firefox, perhaps try

giving Waterfox a go? It's a 64-bit derivative of Firefox which is quite

popular, and I have noticed a decent stability and performance

improvement after switching to it. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

What's Safari like? I've actually never had a Safari crash, can't say the same for all the other ones though.

Safari seems to be very stable. Not as stable as Chrome, at least for what we're doing. But it's more stable than IE or FF, though I will add that our client does all their dev work on Macs, so it's possible that we just aren't seeing issues that get fixed before we get their latest build. 

Safari does crash at work, in fact I had a reproducible case just yesterday at work. But I have never had it crash on my macbooks at home, when I'm using it like a normal person would :)

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

For those who have encountered issues with Firefox, perhaps try

giving Waterfox a go? It's a 64-bit derivative of Firefox which is quite

popular, and I have noticed a decent stability and performance

improvement after switching to it. :)

lol, that's what i used when i tried to switch from chrome a while back, for some reason it freezes on me more often that chrome

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

What makes IE better than Firefox?

About the crashes, it sounds like it's an issue with your computer/config. Have you tried doing a complete reinstall of the browser and made sure it's not some plugin or addon that causes the crashes?

It sounds really weird because I honestly don't have any issues with crashes on any browser, and crashes seems to be the major complaint about all browsers these days. I suspect that most of the crashes people are reporting (for all browsers, not just Firefox) are ID ten T errors.

I don't know why I like IE better than FF. I guess it feels quicker to me, which admittedly I never thought I'd be saying that I felt IE seemed quicker than anything.

We do fresh FF profiles without any add-ons or plugins and it doesn't matter, it crashes all the time. We have new people come in with fresh installs of everything, and their FF crashes too.

You say you don't have any crashes, are you hammering on it both manually and with web automation like we are? 8hrs a day, 5 days a week? If you read my post you'll notice that was the caveat, I mentioned that an end user is not nearly as likely to see the issues that we see with it.

Firefox has been rock solid for me since switching to Windows 8.1, in fact I can't remember a single time it's crashed.

I like firefox. Every problem that I have with it is flash related thus I hate flash :D

And this is exactly why consumer protection and anti monopoly laws exist.

Yep. Anybody remember "Ma Bell"? Probably before most people's time here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_System