The video RAM information guide

D2ultima

Im new to PC gaming so im sorry if im mistaken but am i correct in saying that the GTX 1060 6GB has a effective memory clock speed of 6832mhz?

3 hours ago, TLOUFoREVer said:

Im new to PC gaming so im sorry if im mistaken but am i correct in saying that the GTX 1060 6GB has a effective memory clock speed of 6832mhz?

8000MHz.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

8000MHz.

Thank you very much! Is this the stat being tracked in mhz in the MEM catergory of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2FV-E0NGEU

On 05/09/2018 at 5:47 AM, TLOUFoREVer said:

Thank you very much! Is this the stat being tracked in mhz in the MEM catergory of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2FV-E0NGEU

That overlay is using MSI Afterburner, which displays memory at one speed down from maximum. On GDDR5, it will show the doubled memory speed instead of the quadrupled memory speed, and on GDDR5X it will show the quadrupled memory speed instead of the octople'd memory speed. Here, you can see that on a 1080 it shows 5400MHz instead of the 10800MHz my card is effectively running at:

5b91102947c51_DRAGONQUESTXI_2018_09_05_05_04_03_083.thumb.png.d59087ff2d89bc18d51c1bd996076707.png

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hi, I'm new here. Thank you for this topic. This might just help me figuring out which card is the best to buy.

I'm gaming on a 1080p 60hz tv. Its upgradable later on to 1080p 144hz 1ms, but priorities struck as my 770 gtx died 2 days ago. Eventhough I tried everything, the card would only work without drivers.

1) With the card now removed, is it wise to use onboard graphics, cause I heard it uses my cpu. Don't wanna shorten the lifespan of the cpu. Or should I put the card back in without drivers (which is basically a power consuming brick)?

2) I'm staying at 1080p but might get a 144hz refreshrate. 1060 6gb vram or 1070 8gb vram? I'm also thinking about the future. As above mentioned, at 1080p, there hasn't been a 6gb breakthrough. But purely futurewise, is the 1070 worth it? Or do I have enough with 1060?

3) Is my 750 powersupply going to support these graphics cards?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

2 hours ago, phil7990 said:

Hi, I'm new here. Thank you for this topic. This might just help me figuring out which card is the best to buy.

I'm gaming on a 1080p 60hz tv. Its upgradable later on to 1080p 144hz 1ms, but priorities struck as my 770 gtx died 2 days ago. Eventhough I tried everything, the card would only work without drivers.

1) With the card now removed, is it wise to use onboard graphics, cause I heard it uses my cpu. Don't wanna shorten the lifespan of the cpu. Or should I put the card back in without drivers (which is basically a power consuming brick)?

2) I'm staying at 1080p but might get a 144hz refreshrate. 1060 6gb vram or 1070 8gb vram? I'm also thinking about the future. As above mentioned, at 1080p, there hasn't been a 6gb breakthrough. But purely futurewise, is the 1070 worth it? Or do I have enough with 1060?

3) Is my 750 powersupply going to support these graphics cards?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

You're 750w is kinda overkill lmao; it can more than handle those graphic cards. Even with a high end cpu, your pc would only consume a max of around 500w. Also, I would not recommend using the integrated gpu; however, if your gpu died, then you could. It would not be pretty to any extent lmao, but enough to get through most games. What cpu do you have? And if you can afford it, get a 1070ti or just the 1070, but the difference wouldn't be that noticeable. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

46 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

You're 750w is kinda overkill lmao; it can more than handle those graphic cards. Even with a high end cpu, your pc would only consume a max of around 500w. Also, I would not recommend using the integrated gpu; however, if your gpu died, then you could. It would not be pretty to any extent lmao, but enough to get through most games. What cpu do you have? And if you can afford it, get a 1070ti or just the 1070, but the difference wouldn't be that noticeable. 

I have an i7 6700 non k. So I think I should be ok. I was just wondering which is the better option for me, run on onboard gfx or on a gfx card without drivers and that consumes power.

Thank you for the information!

4 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

I have an i7 6700 non k. So I think I should be ok. I was just wondering which is the better option for me, run on onboard gfx or on a gfx card without drivers and that consumes power.

I would just use integrated graphics until you upgrade the gpu 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

7 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

You couldn't overdraw 750W if you tried.

I would look for a cheap 1080 at the minimum, using iGPU until such time. New cards out mean 1060 is now last-gen entry level silicon. It's not even last gen midranged; I'd really ignore it going forward.

4 hours ago, D2ultima said:

You couldn't overdraw 750W if you tried.

I would look for a cheap 1080 at the minimum, using iGPU until such time. New cards out mean 1060 is now last-gen entry level silicon. It's not even last gen midranged; I'd really ignore it going forward.

igpu=integrated graphics right? So onboard graphics? I could do that but gaming is out of the question then, unless league of legends, but doubt that will even work...

I don't have that amount of money, and by the time I would have, production probably stopped anyway. So only used cards by then which is taking risks and not what I want. 1070 however, might just go below 500 maybe 400 even and then I can buy it...

Anyway so the more vram you have the better future proof it would be? Eventhough you game on 1080p60hz?

8 hours ago, phil7990 said:

igpu=integrated graphics right? So onboard graphics? I could do that but gaming is out of the question then, unless league of legends, but doubt that will even work...

I don't have that amount of money, and by the time I would have, production probably stopped anyway. So only used cards by then which is taking risks and not what I want. 1070 however, might just go below 500 maybe 400 even and then I can buy it...

Anyway so the more vram you have the better future proof it would be? Eventhough you game on 1080p60hz?

Depending on what cpu you're using and what igpu it has, then you could game on it. I've seen people play BF1 with around 50fps on integrated graphics 

4 hours ago, lmeneses said:

Depending on what cpu you're using and what igpu it has, then you could game on it. I've seen people play BF1 with around 50fps on integrated graphics 

i7 6700 non k 3.4, with booster up to 3.8

16 hours ago, phil7990 said:

Uhh...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/K3Jkcf/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-d5x-video-card-gv-n1080d5x-8gd

A 1080 isn't $500? This one is $430?

10 hours ago, D2ultima said:

This card you mentioned is basically a 1070... It has 8 gb instead of 11... Plus its way to long, doesn't fit in my pc...

Anyway, spoken of gygabite and such... I was about to ask this. And also, does it matter which aftermarket I take? The msi 1070 gtx armor is a quiet a bit down compared to the gaming x about 100 euros or something... Should I wait? Are the prices about to get down?

Also AMD has some nice cards I heard. 580 armor is more then 200 euro's less then 1070 gtx gaming x. Yet both have 8 gig vram...

5 hours ago, phil7990 said:

This card you mentioned is basically a 1070... It has 8 gb instead of 11... Plus its way to long, doesn't fit in my pc...

Anyway, spoken of gygabite and such... I was about to ask this. And also, does it matter which aftermarket I take? The msi 1070 gtx armor is a quiet a bit down compared to the gaming x about 100 euros or something... Should I wait? Are the prices about to get down?

Also AMD has some nice cards I heard. 580 armor is more then 200 euro's less then 1070 gtx gaming x. Yet both have 8 gig vram...

If you're gonna get an rx 580, do not get an armor, those tend to over heart a lot. Get a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126199&cm_re=rx_580_gpu-_-14-126-199-_-Product

14 hours ago, phil7990 said:

A 1080 is nowhere near a 1070, do you even know anything about computer parts?

The RX 580 is entry level, the 1070 and 1080 are midranged. Go watch some comparison benchmarks.

On 1080p 60hz, does the 1080 8gb has more power then the 1070 8gb? Ok sorry about that. Well in that case I could consider this card...

Btw, you gave me a tip on aftermarkets. So thank you. I've decided I should wait out my chance and go for a gigabyte 1070 /1080 card later on which are less expensive.

51 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

On 1080p 60hz, does the 1080 8gb has more power then the 1070 8gb? Ok sorry about that. Well in that case I could consider this card...

Btw, you gave me a tip on aftermarkets. So thank you. I've decided I should wait out my chance and go for a gigabyte 1070 /1080 card later on which are less expensive.

Personally I'd just make sure whatever you get has really good reviews and a good cooling system.

On 10-9-2018 at 3:12 AM, D2ultima said:

Personally I'd just make sure whatever you get has really good reviews and a good cooling system.

Right, thnx!

• 5 months later...

Excellent (if quite old) guide. But There is a slight issue, and that's the "SLI memory bandwidth doubling".

No, technically it IS true, but..

The total number doubles, because now there are two GPUs accessing two sets of VRAM chips over two sets of copper lines.. But each GPU only has access to it's own copy of VRAM so the respective GPUs don't benefit at all (this is different from some Quadro/NVlink applications AFAIK),.

From a different point of view it means that there is double bandwidth, but also double demand for bandwidth, so you're breaking even, not doubling your assets.

The actual benefit is that each card only has to render half of the frames, so in total you can do more with the same ... times two. Therefore even if you are bandwidth limited for some reason, you should see some improvement from SLI.

For the 970 that means, that you WILL get SLI scaled performance when it comes to the last 1/2GB. So 13FPS instead of 8. Yay.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, Sett said:

Excellent (if quite old) guide. But There is a slight issue, and that's the "SLI memory bandwidth doubling".

No, technically it IS true, but..

The total number doubles, because now there are two GPUs accessing two sets of VRAM chips over two sets of copper lines.. But each GPU only has access to it's own copy of VRAM so the respective GPUs don't benefit at all (this is different from some Quadro/NVlink applications AFAIK),.

From a different point of view it means that there is double bandwidth, but also double demand for bandwidth, so you're breaking even, not doubling your assets.

The actual benefit is that each card only has to render half of the frames, so in total you can do more with the same ... times two. Therefore even if you are bandwidth limited for some reason, you should see some improvement from SLI.

For the 970 that means, that you WILL get SLI scaled performance when it comes to the last 1/2GB. So 13FPS instead of 8. Yay.

Read it a few times, I think we're talking about the same thing. If you're running 150fps single GPU then you run it SLI each GPU is doing (roughly) half the work, so each GPU only needs half the memory bandwidth demands due to the extra downtime. It does mean you get more of a memory bandwidth break because if one card was bandwidth bottlenecked at say 100fps and you were only using... 60% GPU, SLI would probably get you around 190fps and each card would be sitting around 60-70% uitlization (assuming good scaling).

NVLink or normal bridge, it doesn't change how SLI works. The change is the connection between cards, and how much data can be passed between each card (which is a HUGE benefit to SLI functionality (if Nvidia would get their drivers working that is). When you experience bandwidth choking with SLI (and generally poor scaling) you are in a situation where the game probably needs more data from the slave to the primary (and vice versa) than can be provided. It can't send completed frames AND the frame buffer data across without widening the choke. That was the entire point of the High Bandwidth bridge, and now NVLink SLI. It only even exists because Nvidia knows the BFGD it wants to put out simply cannot be powered by single GPU, but even PCI/e 3.0 x16/x16 + HB bridge isn't enough for 4K high refresh + gsync, so NVLink to the rescue.

I have a big stink about it in my SLI guide (you can see in my signature). I honestly would love to update these guides but for whatever reason, the guides are broken. They were written before this forum went to IPB v4, and after updating to IPB v4 they encountered... problems. I have had to simply copy and paste the ENTIRE guide without context and re-write them, re-add links, re-make tables, etc literally every single time I want to make more than a single small change near the bottom. If I could do this from scratch on a new page and have them re-stickied after they were done, where editing them would cause no problems with formatting or colour for night mode or light theme etc, then I would be happy to oblige. I haven't stopped learning it's just become extremely chore-ish to update.

On 8/16/2014 at 11:35 AM, D2ultima said:

It's 5:35am and I have no idea if you're serious or joking xD.

hey, I was wondering how to add your pc specs under your comment?

On 3/10/2019 at 4:30 AM, D2ultima said:

Read it a few times, I think we're talking about the same thing.

Well, like I said, It's technically correct.

The issue I have is that it might be somewhat misleading, just adding up the bandwidth - kind of like just adding up VRAM. You can do neighter, that's not how it works. A cards performance is a cards performance. You can sort of add up the results in SLI, but if a card has some issue, SLI won't fix it.
Anyways, that's just nitpicking on my part. I learned quite a bit here, and will definitely be redirecting people with questions this way. ?