Does any countries government care if someone pirates stuff?

melias24

That's severely wrong... pirating, is still illegal here. Torrenting, is a grey area. The reason they don't pursue, is because we also have laws in place to protect people who want to do things like, rip a DVD they own, and put it onto a hard drive for personal use. However, our laws also allow us to upload them to things like dropbox for TEMPORARY storage, but we have no law in place limiting how long that storage period can be, and there's no way to enforce it. As for downloading, this is also legal, assuming you own the material, AND you plan on burning it to a physical medium at some point, storing it indefinitely is technically illegal, but again, there is no way to enforce it. As for uploading, it is illegal to upload pirated content anywhere, however it's not enforced a whole lot. Usually, if you're caught, you ISP will send you a cease and desist, and if you don't comply, they can cut your service, and report you to authorities. That latter part is a lot, and I mean a lot of paperwork on there end, since they have to then explain why they allowed you continued service when they knew you were infringing and so on...

This was a long series of lectures in my university Law and Ethics of IT course 2 years ago in university. It's complicated, and technically illegal, but due to our loopholes, they can't really do anything about downloading, only uploading.

also, the most that you can be charged for piracy is $2000 IIRC

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Governments don't usually bother chasing pirates as the cost of capturing a few people is prohibitve. They usually resort to public information campaigns like

Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

also, the most that you can be charged for piracy is $2000 IIRC

Per count, which is per file, per site uploaded. (Didn't include downloads because of the grey area, once again)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Well if I were to put on a Government hat on, yes they should care, why? Because the pirates are not paying taxes on those pirated goods so they are losing out on money, but I think they are still not internet savvy to understand this nor how to prosecute such pirating due to old laws not covering such pirating. The day somebody gets that idea in their head the pirates are pretty much going to be filling up the jails much like the two bit drug dealers are now.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

In my country, Portugal, piracy is legal. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Troublesome nonetheless. 

What bothers me more is the fact that anyone can torrent now and be perfectly fine, but two...three...five years down the road (if things change) you can be brought to court. 

Well, being in that circuit myself I know that my government is too stupid not to try it in a few years as you say. But the question will rise wether this is something society would want. Hardcore prison years for a few movies? The issue for Europe and eventually the world will be. If 1 court decides to bring someone to justice for something like that, others and I also mean other countries legal systems will eventually follow this. Resulting in prisons who will be populated by mostly illegal downloaders in the future?

As there's been a survey in my country when piratebay got blocked (don't remember the source so my credibility is the only thing right now) most people here, meaning a vast majority has downloaded or even does download illegal contents sometimes. So the majority of my country being imprisoned? I would like to see that, but as you said once again. In a few years.... I wouldn't be surprised at all.

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

It's not the government that cares, it's the corporations or whomever has the rights to what you're downloading.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

Well, being in that circuit myself I know that my government is too stupid not to try it in a few years as you say. But the question will rise wether this is something society would want. Hardcore prison years for a few movies? The issue for Europe and eventually the world will be. If 1 court decides to bring someone to justice for something like that, others and I also mean other countries legal systems will eventually follow this. Resulting in prisons who will be populated by mostly illegal downloaders in the future?

As there's been a survey in my country when piratebay got blocked (don't remember the source so my credibility is the only thing right now) most people here, meaning a vast majority has downloaded or even does download illegal contents sometimes. So the majority of my country being imprisoned? I would like to see that, but as you said once again. In a few years.... I wouldn't be surprised at all.

well, taxed or fined. Regardless, there could still be repercussions to some extent. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

IN the UK, they have allowed it temporarily so that they can prove piracy really is a problem so they can apply some tighter vice grips on the law.

The Netherlands: Yes they do but not very often. Police will come to your house without a warrant and will ask if they can check your PC for illegal content. But as they never have a warrant you can wave them off easy

Whaaaaat, I would imagine that the Netherlands is the least caring country about piracy.

It's not the government that cares, it's the corporations or whomever has the rights to what you're downloading.

And who do you think is paying the government?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Prisoner 1: Hey man, what are you in for?

Prisoner 2: Murder, you?

Prisoner 1: Downloaded Lord of the Rings last night

Prisoner 2: Dude... That's hard-core.

I like how each year goes by with the exact same discussion. Piracy is bad and is destroying the industry. As much as I really don't care to debate the morality of piracy I'd like to ask. When is this supposed to happen? Piracy has been around for a very long time and you always see "Pirates kill the industry! Music movies and games will disappear if piracy continues within the next 5 years!" 5 years goes by and were in the same boat. All of the industries still exist and still preach the same message. Morality aside, logically and rationally thinking, it isn't killing anything.

The USA does but not where I am and was any country that allows trolls cares in my opinion

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey guys, i don't pirate stuff (probably downloaded one song for free like once in my whole life) but if you are an internet pirate does the government care? I'm not wondering about my country, but does your country's government care? 

Some countries don't for example the reason why most people can't sue the pirate bay is the country their servers are hosted on don't care which is why 

http://thepiratebay.se/legal JUST READ these you'll laugh your ass off.

From anakata_anakata.hack.se Mon Sep 13 07:20:31 2004

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:19:36 -0100 (GMT)

To: Piracy - Online <Piracy-Online@ea.com>

Subject: Re: Copyright Infringement

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Piracy - Online wrote:

> September 14, 2004

>

> SENT VIA E-MAIL

>

> Fredrik Neij

> PRQ

> Box 1206

> Stockholm, Sweden 11479

>

>

>         Re:    Electronic Arts Trademark and Copyright

> Infringement Notice

>

>

> Dear Mr. Neij:

>

> It has been brought to the attention of Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA") that

> the website http://www.piratebay.org with the IP addresses of

> 217.75.120.115, 217.75.120.116, 217.75.120.118 is conducting

> unauthorized activities with respect to EA's copyrighted software, The

> Sims 2. The aforementioned website is offering and distributing

> bittorrent seeds for an unauthorized downloadable version of this EA

> game.

>

> The infringing material may be found at:

>

> http://www.piratebay.org/download.php/3238103/Sims%202.torrent

>

> http://www.piratebay.org/download.php/3238222/The_Sims2_AlcoholClone-CLO

> NEGAME_Full.Release_%28exclusive_for_trackerwww.prq.to%29.torrent

>

Hello and thank you for contacting us. We have shut down the website in

question.

Oh wait, just kidding. We haven't, since the site in question is fully

legal. Unlike certain other countries, such as the one you're in, we have

sane copyright laws here. But we also have polar bears roaming the

streets and attacking people :-(.

> This unauthorized activity with respect to the distribution of EA's

> software products constitutes infringement of EA's intellectual property

> rights. EA enforces its intellectual property rights very aggressively

> by using every legal option available.

Please don't sue us right now, our lawyer is passed out in an alley from

too much moonshine, so please atleast wait until he's found and doesn't

have a huge hangover...

>

> As you are listed as the registrant for this website, EA demands that

> you immediately and permanently disable access to the aforementioned

> bittorrent seeds for The Sims 2 and any in the future.

You're free to demand anything you want. So are we. We demand that you

cease and desist sending letters like this, since they're frivolous and

meaningless. Where should I send the bill for the consumed diskspace and

bandwidth?

> Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions concerning

> this matter, please contact us via e-mail at:

> piracy-online@ea.com.

>

>

> Regards,

>

> EA Law - IP Enforcement

> Electronic Arts Inc.

> piracy-online@ea.com <mailto:piracy2@ea.com>

Thank you for your entertainment. As with all other threats, we will

publish this one on http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/

//anakata

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I remember in Singapore a girl was arrested for downloading anime not sure if that's true because i read it from Wikipedia.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Even though it may be "illegal" to pirate stuff in america, people really don't give two shits and most of the time don't get caught, alot of the time when they are caught its pretty much just a warning.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I believe the EU cares.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

It's illegal around here. At worst you can get 2 years in jail but more likely than not you'll just be fined. AFAIK the gov don't really give a fuck since they have bigger issues to deal with, but I'd still recommend against piracy.

i think there is a law here but pretty much everyone has pirated something here aware or not.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Think about it like this. Does a 14 year old deserve to go  to prison with rapists and serial killers for downloading an mp3 or movie off thepiratebay? No.

I think Sweden has a political party that promotes it lol. Thats what Ive been told.