Help deciding on a new monitor

RJ2536

So I've been shopping around for a new monitor and I finally have the cash to spend, but i can't decide on which one would be best. I'm mainly looking at Asus and defiantly a 23-24 inch 1920x1080 however i don't know whether to go with a TN or a IPS panel. The main use for my PC is gaming so most people say to get a TN panel, But i do like the overall better picture that IPS panels appear to offer. One thing is that my budget is 200usd so I think i'm more limited the TN panels. A few choice's i've picked so far are the Asus VH238H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117, Asus VS248H-P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153 and the Asus VS239H-P(IPS) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288. Any recommendations or input is much appreciated,

IPS / PLS pannels are fine for gaming as long as you make sure they don't go over 5ms you shouldn't have a lot of problems.

Also IPS / PLS has much nicer color repro and so on. I wish when I bought my monitors PLS / IPS was in the price range it is now ;)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I use the PB238Q for gaming and have no problems with it at all and its at 6ms.  I haven't noticed any blur on it at all that can ruin a gameplay experience or even slightly hurt it in the 6 months i have had it.  

IPS / PLS pannels are fine for gaming as long as you make sure they don't go over 5ms you shouldn't have a lot of problems.

Also IPS / PLS has much nicer color repro and so on. I wish when I bought my monitors PLS / IPS was in the price range it is now ;)

5ms what? Gray to gray response time? It's a very misleading metric. Also, the usability of a monitor based on its response times are almost completely subjective.

5ms what? Gray to gray response time? It's a very misleading metric. Also, the usability of a monitor based on its response times are almost completely subjective.

I agree fully with everything you said, its all personal preference.

It's usually measured in gtg no? Well, as far as I know 5 and below is fine for the majority of people ^^

I remember buying my first LCD monitor, when 22 was as awesome as it got :D and you could really see the blur playing Quake III ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Correct Dave Zember. A perfect example can be seen from TFTCentral reviews.

Here is an example (a bit of some extreme end... comparing a good IPS panel vs a not so great 120Hz TN panel, but it is showing the point clearly, that g-t-g is crap):

Dell U2410 - IPS - 6ms response time - 1920x1200:

dell_u2410.jpg

BenQ - TN - 120Hz - 1ms response time - 1920x1080

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

As you can see above, the IPS panel, despite 6ms, massacre, night and day, the BenQ model above.

Ok so i guess i should get an IPS? The Asus PB238Q on newegg comes to $227.58 which is a bit over my budget. But Is the extra $27 worth it for this particular monitor or should i go with a different option. 

Ok so i guess i should get an IPS? The Asus PB238Q on newegg comes to $227.58 which is a bit over my budget. But Is the extra $27 worth it for this particular monitor or should i go with a different option. 

It is worth it if you want the extra features that that is has like QuickFit, the integrated USB hub,the ability to use Display Port, and the upgraded stand.  If you are are doing work with programming or writing essays then, personaly I would have to say the the PB238Q is your better option just for the portrait ability and the more rugged stand. 

If you can get it off of Amazon as well because you have almost guaranteed shipping and if you are a prime member getting it in two days cant be beat.

The acerH236HLbid is a great option with a small bezel. It stays in your budget. It also gives you a great option to upgrade to surround or Eyefinity later on.  I'm not sure how it compares to a asus pb248 (I have a Dell u2412m) but you could probably do more research on it. 

One of the best IPS/PLS monitors for gaming is the Viewsonic VP2770 and it is rated at 12ms..lol

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13392-viewsonic-vp2770-review-2560x1440-semi-glossy-pls.html

The ms latency doesn't really matter. It's not really noticeable unless it is ridiculous high.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The ms latency doesn't really matter. It's not really noticeable unless it is ridiculous high.

But the input lag makes alot of difference..As the viewsonic beats all other IPS/pls panels in that regard..

Correct Dave Zember. A perfect example can be seen from TFTCentral reviews.

Here is an example (a bit of some extreme end... comparing a good IPS panel vs a not so great 120Hz TN panel, but it is showing the point clearly, that g-t-g is crap):

Dell U2410 - IPS - 6ms response time - 1920x1200:

dell_u2410.jpg

BenQ - TN - 120Hz - 1ms response time - 1920x1080

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

As you can see above, the IPS panel, despite 6ms, massacre, night and day, the BenQ model above.

Wow, I didn't know that the difference was THAT drastic. Thanks for sharing that.

Wow, I didn't know that the difference was THAT drastic. Thanks for sharing that.

Yup. That is why response time is complete B.S. You must check in depth monitor review sites for the real world performance.

They are people on forum, with TN panel 1ms response time, and asking for 0ms due to heavy ghosting.... well, as you can see, no wonder you have these people asking for this. It's NOT all 120Hz 1ms response time. of course. Most of them are same or faster than the U2410. But it's just to say that you can't take judgement on response time specs.

If you want an IPS panel, my recommendation are the well reviewed, and popular: ASUS PB238Q, or the Dell U2312HM. Both are very similar monitors in term of image output, build quality, and image. Both are non glossy, stand, casing and panel. I would say pick the one that you like the best, or you can afford.

If you are doing work as well as gaming, then I suggest 16:10 monitors, and I recommenced the Dell U2412HM (1920x1200), for the best deal for your money.

It must be noted that Dell and ASUS monitors suggested, has a 3 year warranty, 0 bright/stuck policy, 5 or more dad pixel for ASUS, and for Dell its 6 or more dead pixel. No Zone or distance crap policy. You just count them, and if you fall into the policy -> replacement. Simple as that. Dell pays shipping both direction for any warranty claims. Meaning once you call Dell about the issue, Dell will ship you immediately a your replacement monitor where, once you receive it, you just broken with the replacement, and in the box of the replacement, you'll find a prepaid shipping label, just stick it over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So you always have a monitor on your desk, and shipping fully paid.

If you want an IPS panel, my recommendation are the well reviewed, and popular: ASUS PB238Q, or the Dell U2312HM. Both are very similar monitors in term of image output, build quality, and image. Both are non glossy, stand, casing and panel. I would say pick the one that you like the best, or you can afford.

If you are doing work as well as gaming, then I suggest 16:10 monitors, and I recommenced the Dell U2412HM (1920x1200), for the best deal for your money.

It must be noted that Dell and ASUS monitors suggested, has a 3 year warranty, 0 bright/stuck policy, 5 or more dad pixel for ASUS, and for Dell its 6 or more dead pixel. No Zone or distance crap policy. You just count them, and if you fall into the policy -> replacement. Simple as that. Dell pays shipping both direction for any warranty claims. Meaning once you call Dell about the issue, Dell will ship you immediately a your replacement monitor where, once you receive it, you just broken with the replacement, and in the box of the replacement, you'll find a prepaid shipping label, just stick it over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So you always have a monitor on your desk, and shipping fully paid.

I want to first thank you for your very helpful replies, as well as everyone else's. Now I'm defiantly leaning towards the PB238Q I pretty much only use my PC for gaming mostly Arma 2 & 3. I would just like to ask do you have any recommended TN panels in the price range or are you only suggesting i go for an IPS for my needs?

If you are a hardcore FPS player, you may want to invest into a 120Hz TN panel, which will get you the same level of colors as you have, same short view angles, but faster motion, giving you a competitive edge.

IPS panels do have a bit higher input lag and can be a slower in terms of real life refresh rate. If you can't afford such monitor, or doesn't affect you, or you prefer nicer looking games, picture, videos/movies, and want the ability to see perfectly your screen no mater where you sit in the room (beside behind the monitor), then IPS panels is the way to go.

Sadly, I don't really focus on TN panels, as beside the 120Hz monitors, they are way too many, (like every week there is something new, and not necessary better, just different look most of the time), and you don't see them on in depth monitor review sites, as the manufactures knows it will be destroyed into bits, and well.. it's budget, and I think, unless it's some special needs out side of most people on this forum (ie: casually using the computer to check email, for example, or just for office work with no special needs, or for really tight budget, etc.).

I am sadly, behind 120Hz monitor as it's not asked a lot on the 2 forums I participate in, so I don't think I can give the best product for you. I better let someone else answer it.

Just don't buy that BenQ monitor mentioned on the response time, if it's not discontinued by now ;)

The IPS panels are better for their color reproduction and viewing angles with 60hz refresh where TN panels have a higher refresh rate, up to 144hz but have bad color distortion and lower overall image quality.

Oh another IPS monitor that you can look into.. more gaming oriented:

Check out the Eizo Foris FS2333-BK. Although, it might be over your budget. Have a look.

It's down side, is that you pay a bit on the name, and the build quality isn't as great. I forgot if the stand is adjustable or not (I think it only has tilt taught), I need to double check.

But EIZO uses really fast components, and a fast IPS panels, getting more competitive actual response time, and almost 0 inputs lag, which beats the great majority of TN panels in that respect.

Here is a review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-foris-fs2333-bk.html#Introduction

EIZO is a Japanese company, mostly making specialty and professional grade monitors

I have the 27" version of this monitor and its pretty awesome, itll stretch your budget a bit bit it also has pretty descent built in speakers and a matte panel and pretty thin bezel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236310

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Well i think i'm going with the ASUS PB238Q, As stated the main use for this monitor will be gaming so hopefully it treats me well. I'm sure it will being that i've been using a 5 year old 32" Samsung HDTV as my monitor for a while now lol.

Well i think i'm going with the ASUS PB238Q, As stated the main use for this monitor will be gaming so hopefully it treats me well. I'm sure it will being that i've been using a 5 year old 32" Samsung HDTV as my monitor for a while now lol.

That can make a nice secondary display.  I have 3 of mismatched monitors, an old Dell square one, an old 19" TV and my PB238Q in the middle.