SMS Audio makes Intel's heart-rate tracking earbuds a reality

Dietrichw

Source

sms.jpg

Back at CES, Intel showed off its smart earbud concept that matched tunes to your pulse, and now it's bringing similar tech to the masses. Thanks to a partnership with 50 Cent's SMS Audio, the heart-rate-tracking chops will hit the gym inside the headphone maker's new BioSport offering. Looking to "motivate and encourage" peak activity levels, the in-ear option packs a biometric optical sensor needed to monitor both physical exertion and relaxation. What's more, the audio add-on syncs the collected data with RunKeeper to keep tabs on progress, and as you might expect, the pair is IPX4 certified for sweat and water resistance. So how did the collaboration come about? Well, I had a chat with Intel's New Devices Group head Mike Bell and SMS Audio President Brian Nohe about just that.

sms2.jpg

In terms of design, the earbuds have a hook shape that helps keep them in place, and they grab power from your phone's 3.5mm jack. As you might expect, the two companies tout the convenience of not having to strap on (or carry) a third device to keep tabs on your pulse while you're at the gym.

cool, but I don't personally like in ear headphones as they are all too big, also I don't work out

do we remember what linus thought about their other product? wonder how these will turn out...

This Post Was Brought To You By Internet Explorer

Cool? Though, given Linus' recent review of one of SMS Audio's other products, I wouldn't be too sure of the quality of this one..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I think that Intel would want the earbud to be innovative as well as good-sounding. Interesting to see that they partnered with SMS.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Why would Intel partner up with SMS Audio? There are so many other legit audio company out there that they can coloborate for this. They can do so much better than this 'scam' audio company

While I would agree that SMS are more expensive show headphones like Beats, they do make good on ear headphones. Although Linus's review was not enthusiastic, the on ear style Streets have received positive feedback regarding sound and overall build quality from various sources. I have a pair, and they do sound rather good when playing music from my Zune players (yes Zune 120GB rocks). They even sound nice from an iPhone. Nice tight bass and decent highs and mid range. Hardly audiophile grade but not terrible either IMO. I found a good deal way below retail and gave them a chance. While I like my Audio Technica, Sony, and V-moda headphones, I still take my SMS cans when I am on the go just to switch it up. 

As for this announcement, I am interested to see where Intel and SMS take the partnership. The built in Bio sensor is cool. I don't wear extra monitoring gadgetry when working out, but if they were built in the earphones, something I take into the gym anyway, then I would be more inclined to use it. Can't wait for a LTT review! :P  

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

Its interesting that Intel chose SMS audio rather than other manufacturers. Guess SMS Audio is going to use this technology to help boost their sales. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/14/intel-unveils-50-cent-branded-smart-headphones-that-will-make-you-work-our-harder/

I know AMD has been buying up a couple microdevice makers to diversify, but this is nuts to me. Sorry for the short post but this just seems irrational.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This was covered on WAN m8, repost...

i'm a potato

No.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I might consider buying these if Intel made them, because they wouldn't want a super shitty product to have their name on it.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

This was covered on WAN m8, repost...

I triple-checked the last 3 wan show topic sets. Which one?

EDIT: I found the mention of SMS audio, but they never mentioned Intel's involvement. The article's also more recent than the WAN show.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I triple-checked the last 3 wan show topic sets. Which one?

EDIT: I found the mention of SMS audio, but they never mentioned Intel's involvement. The article's also more recent than the WAN show.

At 1:26:56 it say's "Intel" on the title.

i'm a potato

At 1:26:56 it say's "Intel" on the title.

damn... oh well. report post and kill it. My first ever...