The SLI information guide

D2ultima

I'll need to do some further testing but I'm sitting on 411.70 and I did not notice any significant problems so far. Maybe because I'm sitting at x16/x16?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

So I tested Witcher 3 really quickly (4213x1764, all maxed out, hairworks on, AA-off) and got about 5-6 fps difference with G-Sync on vs. G-Sync off.

Do I need to go back to 398.13 like Octiceps or is the 399.24 fine? 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Sorry for triple post spam but this is the last one - I swear. 

So I went back to 399.24 and got back about 10 FPS. It's funny since I got now more FPS with G-Sync than I had before without it. 

EDIT: nevermind, false alarm. Didn't notice that reinstalling older drivers disabled my DSR factors and the game loaded in 3440x1440 instead of 4213x1764. Still similar performance, ie. with G-Sync there seem to be about 5fps hit.

On 10/25/2018 at 4:10 AM, Lathlaer said:

Sorry for triple post spam but this is the last one - I swear. 

So I went back to 399.24 and got back about 10 FPS. It's funny since I got now more FPS with G-Sync than I had before without it. 

EDIT: nevermind, false alarm. Didn't notice that reinstalling older drivers disabled my DSR factors and the game loaded in 3440x1440 instead of 4213x1764. Still similar performance, ie. with G-Sync there seem to be about 5fps hit.

Yeah the only real fix for that is NVLink SLI not the bridge-based. But x16/x16 with a HB bridge is as fast as you can get without Turing

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

59 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

But x16/x16 with a HB bridge is as fast as you can get without Turing

Oh well, 5 fps when I'm hitting about 100-110 in Witcher 3 is something I can swallow xD I will stay with 399.24 just in case since I can't be bothered to be checking G-Sync on/off with every new game I try but I won't get lower since I want the game ready drivers for Shadow of the Tombr Raider :D

On 10/27/2018 at 3:12 AM, Lathlaer said:

Oh well, 5 fps when I'm hitting about 100-110 in Witcher 3 is something I can swallow xD I will stay with 399.24 just in case since I can't be bothered to be checking G-Sync on/off with every new game I try but I won't get lower since I want the game ready drivers for Shadow of the Tombr Raider :D

The drivers don't really help. I've not seen Nvidia drivers help a game since Doom 2016 because of a new vulkan support going from 378.92 to 397.96 but that wasn't even a game ready driver.

That said, if NVLink worked properly you probably should be able to get a straight 95% or so scaling in Witcher 3 on matter Gsync, HDR, etc. But NVLink doesn't really work right now.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to chime in and say how impressed i am with SLI recently. It seemed a couple years ago it was dying... honestly i think its making a comeback now. I've only had to go inspector on a couple games, and i've seen great scaling on so many!

Here's to the future of sli! And hopefully more well made titles like Shadow of the tomb raider, battlefield V, and Strange brigade.

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.

How can SLI help into my system?

I currently have an RTX 2070 ASUS ROG

Can someone help me how to perfectly SLI my card and to also overclock it?

On 1/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, Stephanie Nakagawa said:

How can SLI help into my system?

I currently have an RTX 2070 ASUS ROG

Can someone help me how to perfectly SLI my card and to also overclock it?

Seeing as how it doesn't support SLI... no.

• 3 weeks later...

Would like your opinion. I am building a system for my son who is a gamer. Which would be better. all things considered. I have 2 GTX 1080's I can use for it.  Would it be better to put those in and run it in SLI or put in a single RTX 2080 or 2080Ti. I would really appreciate  any help?  Thank you.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

On 1/28/2019 at 2:18 AM, Ravenbear said:

Would like your opinion. I am building a system for my son who is a gamer. Which would be better. all things considered. I have 2 GTX 1080's I can use for it.  Would it be better to put those in and run it in SLI or put in a single RTX 2080 or 2080Ti. I would really appreciate  any help?  Thank you.

Single 2080Ti over two of any Pascal card, without a shadow of a doubt.

2080 if you can't afford that. 1080 and 1080Ti SLI require PCI/e 3.0 x16/x16 + high bandwidth bridge to work optimally, and the 2080Ti will do better in most situations. I would suggest getting a watercooled 2080 or 2080Ti though, since Turing is quite temperature sensitive.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:41 PM, D2ultima said:

Single 2080Ti over two of any Pascal card, without a shadow of a doubt.

2080 if you can't afford that. 1080 and 1080Ti SLI require PCI/e 3.0 x16/x16 + high bandwidth bridge to work optimally, and the 2080Ti will do better in most situations. I would suggest getting a watercooled 2080 or 2080Ti though, since Turing is quite temperature sensitive.

Thank you very much for the info..  You helped me a lot..

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CryptoNeutronium said:

After reading about directX12 Multi-GPU function and small scale mining is dead at the moment, I have a a few GPU's I was going to sell them but didn't got to it.

Recently I Build a Rog themed system. I was thinking of adding a second GPU to the system and if it would ad to the performance. It could be a struggle with the PCIe slots, adding a second GPU would conflict with my configuration, so before messing around  It would be good to know if it would better the performance. 

I still have these GPU's laying around:

-AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G 

-ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition 8GB GDDR5

Could I ad the 1080TI to the system and could the combination of a 1070ti & 1080ti work? Will it better my Performance over 1070ti SLI ? 

Will games in the future make more use of DirectX12? It would be a temporary solution before updating to the RTX series and also out of curiosity...

My system:

-Intel Core i7-7820X,8x 3,60GHz

-Asus ROG Rampage VI APEX

-Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced-editie 8GB GDDR5

-Asus ROG Front Base

-Corsair Dominator Platinium ROG Edition 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

-Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO

-Corsair Neutron Series™ NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe AIC SSD

-Corsair HXi Serie HX1000i 

-Corsair Graphite Series 780T-1 x 1Tb WD Blue SSD

-2 x 4Tb WD Blue HDD

-1 x 1Tb WD Blue SSD

I see you did not read the guide at all.

19 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I see you did not read the guide at all.

Do you mean your first post in this topic? Didn't thought it was relevant since it is dated August 14, 2014 and DirectX12 was released on July 29,2015... 

Already searched the net can't seem to get a clear answer on this specific question, asking is not my prefered choice of gaining info.

When was the last time this guide was updated?

8 - Microstutter is mostly a thing of the past.

Because this isn't even remotely true. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, CryptoNeutronium said:

Do you mean your first post in this topic? Didn't thought it was relevant since it is dated August 14, 2014 and DirectX12 was released on July 29,2015... 

Already searched the net can't seem to get a clear answer on this specific question, asking is not my prefered choice of gaining info.

There is a section, literally at the bottom, that discusses both the high bandwidth bridge and NVLink as well as Pascal architecture GPUs (mid 2016). Your inability to read is your own issue.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:17 PM, CryptoNeutronium said:

Could I ad the 1080TI to the system and could the combination of a 1070ti & 1080ti work?

There is literally a section stated: "What can I SLI" which you would have saved yourself massive amounts of time typing out not only your first, but your second statement, had you read it:
image.png.68784764d30cdd1d42ef027e554f6547.png

12 hours ago, Ttnuagmada said:

When was the last time this guide was updated?

Because this isn't even remotely true. 

The guide was last updated sometime in 2018. Microstutter has been, and I quote, "MOSTLY a think of the past".

Game developers are free to make games run horribly and this has nothing to do with the technology SLI on the whole, and most games that support it lack the issue (unless you are down in the mid-30fps range where it actually becomes a visible problem).

I will not deny that it needs to be updated for Turing and NVLink, but it's so difficult to update it because the original post was made on IPB3 and not IPB4, and it causes problems in writing it. Most notably in spoiler tags working, as well as light/dark theme working. Which is why in the screenshot above the theme appears to be an odd mix of both light and dark... it's the specific POST, rather than my browser or other posts in this thread. The vRAM guide has the same issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the general concensus is against SLI but I'd like to open up a discussion about it in my situation.

I have a 1070 and want to SLI, I don't think the rtx cards are worth it and I would rather not sell this and buy a 1080ti (3x price at least, of a 1070). I am planning on upgrading to ryzen 3000 series this summer and need to decide whether to buy their x470 equivilanet board for the SLI.

Is there no scenario in which if I manage to to find a cheap 1070 locally, that I should SLI? I have a good enough power supply and I am prepared to troubleshoot and tinker to get things right as I enjoy it (nvidia inspector etc), I also loving getting the best bang for buck. 

If I don't SLI, I will likely wait another 3 years before upgrading my gpu.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:15 AM, Eddownz said:

I know the general concensus is against SLI but I'd like to open up a discussion about it in my situation.

I have a 1070 and want to SLI, I don't think the rtx cards are worth it and I would rather not sell this and buy a 1080ti (3x price at least, of a 1070). I am planning on upgrading to ryzen 3000 series this summer and need to decide whether to buy their x470 equivilanet board for the SLI.

Is there no scenario in which if I manage to to find a cheap 1070 locally, that I should SLI? I have a good enough power supply and I am prepared to troubleshoot and tinker to get things right as I enjoy it (nvidia inspector etc), I also loving getting the best bang for buck. 

If I don't SLI, I will likely wait another 3 years before upgrading my gpu.

If you're going to SLI on AMD, then you'll want PCI/e 4.0 so you can get x8/x8 equivalent to x16/x16 on 3.0...

But you still should just sell it and get a 2080 and call it a day, really. Otherwise it simply won't benefit you enough without heavy elbow grease (and it might still not even WITH that elbow grease, depending on the game).

1070 SLI is very not recommended from me. You can still get it if you want... but I won't ever endorse the idea.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:07 AM, D2ultima said:

If you're going to SLI on AMD, then you'll want PCI/e 4.0 so you can get x8/x8 equivalent to x16/x16 on 3.0...

But you still should just sell it and get a 2080 and call it a day, really. Otherwise it simply won't benefit you enough without heavy elbow grease (and it might still not even WITH that elbow grease, depending on the game).

1070 SLI is very not recommended from me. You can still get it if you want... but I won't ever endorse the idea.

If I decide to sell 1070 I definetly will not be getting this generation of RTX, terrible value for money IMO but yes I am hoping these new motherboards ARE PCIE 4, that would be great. 

Thanks for help thi

Hey,

i have right now 2 cards from msi 1 1080ti aero and 1 msi 1080ti armor, but

the depth from the cards are different now i can't use a HB Bridge i need right now 2 flexible bridges.

is that right?? and can i use it then just like normal?

InkedWhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 12.19.10_LI.jpg

and i know i need to clean! :)

Custom Build, i9 10900K 5,3Ghz All Core, Asus ROG STRIX Z490-A, Asus RTX ROG STRIX 3090 OC, 4x 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4, Samsung Evo Pus 970 500gb, Samsung Evo Pus 970 1TB, 4TB HDD 5,400 RPM, Corsair AX1600i 1600 Watt, CUSTOM WATERCOOLING LOOP, Corsair Obsidian 1000D

6 hours ago, Mailootje said:

Hey,

i have right now 2 cards from msi 1 1080ti aero and 1 msi 1080ti armor, but

the depth from the cards are different now i can't use a HB Bridge i need right now 2 flexible bridges.

is that right?? and can i use it then just like normal?

InkedWhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 12.19.10_LI.jpg

and i know i need to clean! :)

That looks like a MSI problem... I have never seen such a thing. Make them send you a card like the top.

HB bridge and two flex bridges are not the same, though two flex bridges might do enough. I can't say though, I've not personally tested and most people who DO test online do not test well and/or leave out important information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 6:12 AM, D2ultima said:

That looks like a MSI problem... I have never seen such a thing. Make them send you a card like the top.

HB bridge and two flex bridges are not the same, though two flex bridges might do enough. I can't say though, I've not personally tested and most people who DO test online do not test well and/or leave out important information.

okey thanks a lot i would test it! with 2 flex bridges

Custom Build, i9 10900K 5,3Ghz All Core, Asus ROG STRIX Z490-A, Asus RTX ROG STRIX 3090 OC, 4x 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4, Samsung Evo Pus 970 500gb, Samsung Evo Pus 970 1TB, 4TB HDD 5,400 RPM, Corsair AX1600i 1600 Watt, CUSTOM WATERCOOLING LOOP, Corsair Obsidian 1000D

• 2 months later...

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I was browsing around PC part picker and happened to notice something interesting about the new Super 20XX series cards: Unlike the 2080Ti, which has a part number ID starting with 900-1G150, the 2070 Super, 2080, and 2080 Super all have a part number ID starting with 900-1G180. Now if I remember correctly, the only aspect of the part number recognised by the system info section of the Nvidia Control Panel, is the G180 part (the rest is listed as '0000', my FE 2080 is like that anyway).

So here I am wondering, does this mean as far as the CP is concerned, specifically regarding the part number, all three of these cards would be treated as identical? And further (as you probably guessed by where this is posted), does this mean that maybe, just maybe, you could NVLink two of these cards together interchangeably? They have the same VRAM capacity and same memory bus width as well, after all.

Even if this doesn't work automatically, I have a hunch that some unsigned driver-side work-arounds could be finagled to function it, maybe even on an analogous level.

Has anyone tested the SLI inter-connectivity of these cards yet? I'd be really interested to hear your findings!

Thanks guys!

RTX NV.JPG

16 hours ago, kuh-Ru-ton said:

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I was browsing around PC part picker and happened to notice something interesting about the new Super 20XX series cards: Unlike the 2080Ti, which has a part number ID starting with 900-1G150, the 2070 Super, 2080, and 2080 Super all have a part number ID starting with 900-1G180. Now if I remember correctly, the only aspect of the part number recognised by the system info section of the Nvidia Control Panel, is the G180 part (the rest is listed as '0000', my FE 2080 is like that anyway).

So here I am wondering, does this mean as far as the CP is concerned, specifically regarding the part number, all three of these cards would be treated as identical? And further (as you probably guessed by where this is posted), does this mean that maybe, just maybe, you could NVLink two of these cards together interchangeably? They have the same VRAM capacity and same memory bus width as well, after all.

Even if this doesn't work automatically, I have a hunch that some unsigned driver-side work-arounds could be finagled to function it, maybe even on an analogous level.

Has anyone tested the SLI inter-connectivity of these cards yet? I'd be really interested to hear your findings!

Thanks guys!

RTX NV.JPG

Not tested it (there's no point), but I'm going to say no. That part number you're seeing is almost certainly not the Nvidia ID number for the cards, which is a different thing, and what is usually used to determine compatibility as far as I remember.

Next, you need identical card types to SLI, as well as even the full part numbers there are different. And even if you DID manage to hack the driver to force NVLink, the 2080 Super would run as slowly as the 2070 Super would, so it would be a waste.

Unlike Crossfire which can operate in a sort of async mode, SLI generally tries to force the cards to perform roughly the same. If one card is slowing down, the other will too. If you want to test this, Killing Floor 2 is a very good tester. Force PhysX to the slave card and max the setting out in-game then try to run the game at as high a framerate as possible, taxing the living daylights out of the second card which needs to calculate both PhysX and half of the game's frames. What you'll run into is the slave card being maxed out at 100% and the primary card running at low loads because it will not pick up slack the slave card isn't picking up. I.E. a 2080, 2080 Super, 2080Ti, or any other card stronger than a 2070 Super, is quite simply, going to run like a 2070 Super.