I have a legitimate question about religion (more so Christianity)

TopWargamer

Please people, no flame wars. I'm NOT making this thread for the intention of making people upset. On the contrary, I actually want an answer to a question that I've asked myself for quite a while. Please read the entire post to fully understand what I'm trying to say.

Please and thank you. Now let's have a civilized discussion.

To start, I will embed a picture of this Facebook post that just showed up in my profile feed.

bce3755587.png

Think about it for a second. He does have a point. I myself am a Christian, a..."loose" one, but still a Christian none the less. So if you want to say that I have a bias, then fine, go ahead, although I try my best to look at things objectively.

I've seen this before first hand, and it doesn't make much sense to me. America is a land of religious freedom, yet if you say "Oh hey, I'm a Christian" some people will immediately start bashing you for it. Am I saying most people will do this? NO! I am NOT saying that at all. But that kind of mindset makes no sense to me.

Like, I realize that there are some Christians who can be...hm...annoying, to say the least. I get that, and I understand that, and I can understand why you would dislike somebody for that, but you have to realize that not all Christians are like "that one annoying Christian 'freak' that you met the other day."

So with that being said, I've noticed that some people who hate on Christianity don't seem to necessarily hate on other religions. I don't ever recall (from personal experience) somebody bashing Islam or Buddhism or Shintoism or whatever. The only other religion that I've seen get bashed on as much as Christianity is Judaism, but that's a topic for another time, although still relevant to the discussion.

So why is this? Because it honestly doesn't make any sense to me. For example, let's say...an Atheist starts bashing on Christianity. Okay fine, but that same Atheist won't bash on other religions. Again, I've seen this more than once, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Oh, and to clarify, I am NOT saying that most Atheists are Christian-bashers. Nononono, I'm not saying that all. I'm just using that as an example, because it seems to happen most with Atheist, from my personal experience. I personally do NOT have a problem with Atheists, so please do not misunderstand me.

I personally don't care what you worship or lack thereof. I'll tolerate what you believe and let that be that. I just don't get why people can't be this way? I'm not saying that Christians are absent from this. Oh nononono, certainly not. There are plenty of Christians and other religions guilty of this. But like...in America...ya know...freedom of speech...freedom of religion...freedom of assembly... (I know that plenty of other countries have all of these rights as well, just focusing on America for this thread). So with these rights being in place, I just do not understand why people bash what other people believe. Just tolerate it and move on. It's that simple! No matter you tell that person, they more than likely won't change their mind anyways.

COMIC SANS

America was founded on the belief of religious freedoms of different sects of Christianity that were separate from the Church of England. 

just want to put that out there.

It's the hip thing to do. It's the same thing with hating on white males. Everyone feels bad about things that were done in the past and so they try to bring down those who were in power before.

I'm a Christian as well, and most (maybe all?) of my friends are atheists. They sometimes argue with me over religious stuff and say how it's all wrong, never really bash me for it though. I imagine they would do it to me if I was a different religion as well, it's not like they're targeting me because I'm Christian and not Muslim. Hell, if I was atheist and I thought someone believed in something that wasn't true (in an atheists eyes anyway), I would probably argue with them as well.

The main reason I've noticed that Christianity is spit on constantly is because Christian scholars attempt to debunk some areas of science, resulting in a majority of the science community hating Christians. I choose to stay out of the science argument since I don't know anything about physics and whatnot. I just argue logic and what's in front of me instead and that's about as far as I go.

Other reason is people seem to think since Christians don't believe in certain lifestyles being right, that we automatically hate people who participate in said lifestyles, which is not the case with every single religious person. It's just as bad to assume every Christian hates gays for example just like it is with every Christian assuming any non-Christian who questions their deity as a religious offense.

Example: the CEO of Chick-Fil-A restaurants was asked about what he thought about marriage - he didn't randomly say this out of nowhere to spite someone, he was asked - yet every social media and news outlet painted him as a bigoted asshat who hates gays, yet his employs them and offers fair treatment to any lifestyle. People were surprised that a Christian didn't believe in same-sex marriage.

Later it was revealed that he donated money to one-man one-women marriage groups to protest gay rights and such, which is understandable to be upset about, but the man doesn't hate any particular people group.

America was founded on the belief of religious freedoms of different sects of Christianity that were separate from the Church of England. 

I'm aware of this, but I'm sure that our Founding Father's didn't intend for religious freedom to mean "religious freedom, but only for Christianity." That makes no sense. They were all very smart people, and I doubt that was their original intent.

COMIC SANS

I'm aware of this, but I'm sure that our Founding Father's didn't intend for religious freedom to mean "religious freedom, but only for Christianity." That makes no sense. They were all very smart people, and I doubt that was their original intent.

the constitution is intentionally broad for this specific reason. Times change.

I feel you brother. People give way too much shits about religion.

Religion is between you and God and some jackass trying to bash on you shouldn't be in the picture.

Even though I am an atheist, I agree that some people can have spiritual experiences. What you experience is yours. I can't see what you saw.

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

From my experience, it's just because some Christians take it to the extreme and develop the sort of mentality that quickly earns them the title of "Social Justice Warrior." 

These people think that Christianity is the purist religion, and find it necessary to exploit EVERYTHING they think is wrong.

But still, not all Christians are like this, they just mostly account for the stereotype I just explained.

Hope this helps.

I also think that Atheists bash Christians mainly because the more vocal ones (not everyone is this dumb lol) put out videos like this.

I only watched the first 30 seconds...and I think I've seen enough. I just want to point out to the people in the video (who obviously aren't reading this comment >.>) that yes, you can worship God freely whenever you want. The only problem is that some people will bash you for it. There's no law saying that you can't worship God whenever you feel like it. It's your own problem for not doing it. If you're not ashamed, then just do it.

COMIC SANS

I only watched the first 30 seconds...and I think I've seen enough. I just want to point out to the people in the video (who obviously aren't reading this comment >.>) that yes, you can worship God freely whenever you want. The only problem is that some people will bash you for it. There's no law saying that you can't worship God whenever you feel like it. It's your own problem for not doing it. If you're not ashamed, then just do it.

exactly why it's stupid.

I also think that Atheists bash Christians mainly because the more vocal ones (not everyone is this dumb lol) put out videos like this.

I didn't watch the video, but I bet it's cringe worthy, lol.

the constitution is intentionally broad for this specific reason. Times change.

You do have a point there, and there are plenty of things in our Constitution that needs to be more so defined. That is something that i really don't like about our Constitution - a lot of things are just too vague and open to interpretation.

COMIC SANS

You do have a point there, and there are plenty of things in our Constitution that needs to be more so defined. That is something that i really don't like about our Constitution - a lot of things are just too vague and open to interpretation.

Well, I mean, the acquisition of the Louisiana territory was actually because of Thomas Jefferson loosely interpreting the constitution since it was never actually specifically defined that the executive branch has this ability.

So I mean, it's useful.

*off-topic*

Well, I mean, the acquisition of the Louisiana territory was actually because of Thomas Jefferson loosely interpreting the constitution since it was never actually specifically defined that the executive branch has this ability.

So I mean, it's useful.

*off-topic*

In some cases I guess it could be...I dunno....I'm too tired to talk about politics right now, because that requires me to do some research.

>.>

COMIC SANS

eventually you have to really consider people and what they say. an atheist should not care what religion you are. its simply put that they do not believe there is a god. but ive seen proclaimed atheist who almost seem like they hate god or rather that they are anti-theist. 

edit: didnt watch

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

eventually you have to really consider people and what they say. an atheist should not care what religion you are. its simply put that they do not believe there is a god. but ive seen proclaimed atheist who almost seem like they hate god or rather that they are anti-theist. 

edit: didnt watch

you might want to watch it to get my point here that what they say in that video is completely wrong whatever religion you put your faith in.

Tons of places were founded under certain beliefs. Some of them ended up coverting or internalized those beliefs later on. Others just drifted away from beliefs.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Tons of places were founded under certain beliefs. Some of them ended up coverting or internalized those beliefs later on. Others just drifted away from beliefs.

I'm just saying that whenever someone references the original founding fathers with having created this country with the intention of religious freedom, it's not exactly what the public school system teaches in early years, but it is what we have now.

snip

This video made me LOL :)

I'm a rather loose athiest, I don't believe there's a god but if there is, so be it. I couldn't care less what anyone else believes, the problem starts when they decide to be a bigoted arse eg Westboro Baptist Church, or even athiests who bash on religious people. In cases like those I make sure I get them into an argument where everyone is against them. Some people love wielding their beliefs as a weapon, even when religion (from what I know) teaches you to be accepting and kind to others.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

if you say "Oh hey, I'm a Christian" some people will immediately start bashing you for it

Are you sure? Guess it depends on region. That's like literally the norm in every state I've been to. If you're not a Christian (heaven forbid you happen to be an Atheist or a Muslim), you are treated like the lowest of the scum and called oxymoron things like a "devil worshiper"

I know.

I myself, I'll be blunt. I don't give a shit what you are or what you believe in. As long as you are not harming innocent people, brainwashing children (seriously, let kids grow up into adults and decide for themselves, forcing something on a kid is borderline child abuse in my eyes), harassing me at my home with pamphlets I have zero interest in or interfering in my personal life, by all means do whatever.

I myself, I'll be blunt. I don't give a shit what you are or what you believe in. As long as you are not harming innocent people, brainwashing children (seriously, let kids grow up into adults and decide for themselves, forcing something on a kid is borderline child abuse in my eyes), harassing me at my home with pamphlets I have zero interest in or interfering in my personal life, by all means do whatever.

THIS. My family is split between Christians, Buddhists and Athiests, but we never bash on each other, and I'm grateful for that.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+