New 8350 not posting

Hello,

I just bought a new 8350 from micro center and once I put it into my rig it did not post. I updated my BIOS to v 1.50 on the ASROCK 990fx Extreme3 and I cleared my CMOS several times and I got no post. I put my old Phenom II x4 960T back in and it posted and worked fine. My entire rig is as follows:

-ASROCK 990fx Extreme3

-H100

-XFX Radeon 7850

-Corsair TX750

-Phenom II x4 960T

-Crucial M4 256GB SSD

-Seagate 500GB HDD

Also when I updated my BIOS while on my old CPU I got an error saying "Error unknown file system - GRUB rescue." This error prevents me from booting into windows.

Please let me know what you think, I think its just a bad CPU. Thanks in advance for the help.

If someone could please help me with this ASAP it would be greatly appreciated, I have been working at this for hours and I can't figure out why this is not working.

Looks to me like that CPU is defective, however its peculiar that you're Phenom II X4 won't work with the BIO's update. I would attempt to reflash the BIO's again just to make sure everything worked properly. If that doesn't solve you're problem, take the CPU back and hopefully micro center can exchange it. Also are you receiving any beep codes when booting?

CPU - i7-3930K @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU - EVGA GTX 680 | MOBO - ASUS Sabertooth X79

RAM - 16 GB of Kingston HyperX @ 1600 MHz | SSD - 2 x Intel 520 series 180 GB SSD's (Raid 0)

HDD - WD 1 TB Black | Case - Corsair 600T | PSU - Corsair TX750 | Cooler - Corsair H100 | Sound - ASUS Xonar DGX

I am starting to think it's a bad cpu as well. And about my old CPU i'll try to reset the CMOS again and attempt to boot into windows. And I'll probably take the 8350 back tomorrow if I can't figure it out by then. And there was no beeping when I had the 8350 in but post worked with my old CPU. Literally nothing happens when I have the 8350 in, the monitor does not pick up a signal, all that happens is power runs through the system. This has been frustrating me for hours.

i believe it is becouse of the system reset that your SATA ports are changed from IDE to AHCI or the other way around.

but if your 8350 doesn't boot, it means you BIOS is not compatible or your PSU can't deliver the power needed.

A dead cpu is a rare, even with overclocking.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Well I already switched around the SATA port mode and that did not work. And for the 8350 I updated the bios to the latest version which is 1.50 on the Extreme3. You think it might be my PSU? I have a Corsair TX750, Everything inside the system gets power, and it does not shut off by itself. Also I cleared the cmos a bunch of times during this process too so it's running at stock clock settings. My motherboard says it supports 8 core cpu's so I am really starting to think that it is just a bad cpu however I want to exhaust all possibilities before I return it to Micro Center.

I am probably going to re-flash the bios on my old cpu and then if it still does not work I will go exchange it for another one.

You need to swap the bios, but becareful , do not boot with your phenom on the new bios, because it will flash it to the manufacturer default and the system will not post with your 8350.

So with a USB stick , flash your bios , then put the cpu and start your system .

So I should use the Phenom to get into the bios now and re flash but don't boot again then swap cpu's and then try to boot is what you are saying?

I have the AsRock Fat1ity Pro 990FX Extreme Motherboard with an AMD FX-8120 and had to Flash the bios as mentioned above with a usb using the built in flash utility. Took a minute to do if that and I was up and running. Oh ya, I spoke to a rep. from AsRock before flashing and they advised that you ONLY have the BIOS update file on the usb stick, they said if other files are on it, it may cause an error. Hope this helps.

You need to swap the bios' date=' but becareful , do not boot with your phenom on the new bios, because it will flash it to the manufacturer default and the system will not post with your 8350. So with a USB stick , flash your bios , then put the cpu and start your system .[/quote']

I have the AsRock Fat1ity Pro 990FX Extreme Motherboard with an AMD FX-8120 and had to Flash the bios as mentioned above with a usb using the built in flash utility. Took a minute to do if that and I was up and running. Oh ya' date=' I spoke to a rep. from AsRock before flashing and they advised that you ONLY have the BIOS update file on the usb stick, they said if other files are on it, it may cause an error. Hope this helps.[/quote']

I am going to try that and see if it works. I have a good feeling that it will.

Also about the boot error I got when I had my old cpu in, any ideas on how to fix that? The error was 'Error unknown file system, GRUB rescue'. I was thinking that I would just have to re install windows to fix that but it happened right after I updated the bios the first time and reset the cmos the first time.

for the 'Error unknown file system, GRUB rescue'.

1. Put in a windows 7 disk or disc or flash drive
  2. Boot to the device or disc
  3. Select basic settings like language and time
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Select which OS you are trying to fix (I assume you only have 1 installed)
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBCD, and then press ENTER.
  8. Type Bootrec /FixMbr, and then press ENTER.
  9. Type Bootrec /FixBoot, and then press ENTER.
  10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
  11. Reboot.

Hopefully this works for you, Good luck - you seem to be in very capable hands thus far!