[diy.pconline.com.cn] Intel Core i5 4670k first test

skitz9417

[PConline evaluation] from the fourth generation Core i officially released the day draws near, the form of all sorts of products on the network exposure flocked Haswell platform, the basic framework has been clearly demonstrated in front of us. As the flagship product intel thousand price, Core i5-4670K attention is even higher than the Core i7 - the new structure with the previous generation Core i5 series any different today, we will do a first test.

http://translate.google.co.ve/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdiy.pconline.com.cn%2F330%2F3308491.html

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Well it appears the winner is.....

The AMD FX 8350!

hahahahha yea it doest look that great for haswell

hahahahha yea it doest look that great for haswell

Yeah just thought I'd bring some humor here!

On a more serious note, it looks like our speculations are true and Haswell only brings about a 10% performance increase, obviously not worth the upgrade unless you are still using the first generation i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

pretty much

On a more serious note, it looks like our speculations are true and Haswell only brings about a 10% performance increase, obviously not worth the upgrade unless you are still using the first generation i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

isn't the performance on same gpu tests the same?

isn't the performance on same gpu tests the same?

not really

Looks like all those people that were waiting for haswell to come out to upgrade have wasted a lot of time.

Looks like all those people that were waiting for haswell to come out to upgrade have wasted a lot of time.

pretty much

granted a GTX 630 isn't exactly a great card, but based the comparisons between that card and the new HD graphics in games thats actually pretty impressive.

very interesting...

I look forward to more reviews...

Eh, I just started ordering parts at the beginning of May and just got the last bits a couple days ago. I wouldn't want to buy something now when in a week, there's something that is actually better, around the same price.

Surprising is that even though Haswell is newer than the FX 8350 it still doesn't beat it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Surprising is that even though Haswell is newer than the FX 8350 it still doesn't beat it.

Where do you get this impression? I dont see anything about AMD in this article at all.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I honestly think I'm going to go from an 8320 to a 4670-K. Not just the somewhat better performance, but the motherboard features. I'd take a Gigabyte Z87 over an Asrock 970 any day.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

Where do you get this impression? I dont see anything about AMD in this article at all.

there are benchmarks on the further in pages, starting on page 3. They pit it against the 8350. The first 3 tests are all productivity, Photoshop, WinRAR, Cinebench and something else and AMD beats out the 4670k in 3 of the 4 (though interestingly, the 3770k and even the 3570k outperform the 4670k in some of them.) the one that they lose is the winRar test and t's within margin of error so you could call it a tie. Next page is a couple of games and benchmarks. The 8350 loses to all three in the DX9 test pretty badly. A little closer in DX10 but still loses to all 3. It's 1 FPS behind the 4670k in the Crysis benchmark, and they both lose to the 3770k. 4670k wins all the power consumption tests, with the 8350 coming in last in all of them as you would expect. Thats about it as far as the benchmarks where it's compared to the 8350. Overall it looks like the 8350 is better for workstation applications but, at least with the limited games they tested (which were also all quite old and they didn't test an OpenGL game where AMD usually does better) the 4670k beats the 8350 but it actually doesn't really make much of a different from th 3570k or the 3770k. If these benchmarks are correct, which I'm unsure of, it looks like the Haswell chip improvements are mostly in power consumption and heat, and only some marginal increases in performance. 

I honestly think I'm going to go from an 8320 to a 4670-K. Not just the somewhat better performance, but the motherboard features. I'd take a Gigabyte Z87 over an Asrock 970 any day.

The motherboard features are pretty awesome, I'm personally gonna wait till the fall to see if AMD comes out with new chips and if we get some new AMD boards but the mobos do have me leaning towards haswell as an AMD fanboy. That is if I upgrade at all cause it doesn't look like haswell offers a whole lot of improvement over current gen processors for gaming application. Looks like they mostly focused on power and heat, which does more for the mobile side than for us. Which makes sense given how much the market is moving to mobile and that they want to get in to the mobile market more. 

pretty much

Actually, Haswell will be a welcome upgrade for me from Bloomfield, as well as the move from 1366 and X58 to 1150 and Z87. I haven't wasted any time waiting. Your snide remarks aren't appreciated. I suggest actually contributing something to the conversation instead of trolling and upping your post count. If anyone has been paying attention to anything over the past four or five months they would know to not expect a significant raw performance gain from Ivy Bridge to Haswell. 

Actually, Haswell will be a welcome upgrade for me from Bloomfield, as well as the move from 1366 and X58 to 1150 and Z87. I haven't wasted any time waiting. Your snide remarks aren't appreciated. I suggest actually contributing something to the conversation instead of trolling and upping your post count. If anyone has been paying attention to anything over the past four or five months they would know to not expect a significant raw performance gain from Ivy Bridge to Haswell. 

He means that they don't offer much of a performance boost over the Ivy Bridge chips, and if the benchmarks in this article are correct then he's right. Most of the improvements seem to be in power consumption and heat, which will help with your electric bill and maybe get you some better overclocks, but as far as performance goes it doesn't seem like much of a jump from these benchs. 

He means that they don't offer much of a performance boost over the Ivy Bridge chips, and if the benchmarks in this article are correct then he's right. Most of the improvements seem to be in power consumption and heat, which will help with your electric bill and maybe get you some better overclocks, but as far as performance goes it doesn't seem like much of a jump from these benchs.

He means to the exact same thing as the person above him.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

haswell was made for power efficiency in mind

i just hope lenovo doesn't F up the new T540's design

CPU idle

http://img0.pconline.com.cn/pconline/1305/22/3308491_P_NET_thumb.jpg

when browsing the web

http://img0.pconline.com.cn/pconline/1305/22/3308491_GPU_P_NET_thumb.jpg

this is what i do 95% of the time

great news for me :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

He means to the exact same thing as the person above him.

It doesn't matter what he means or what you think he means, it matters what he said. Saying that Haswell doesn't offer a significant performance increase over Ivy Bridge is a completely fair and true statement. That is not what he said and what he said is not true or fair. 

4.5 GHz at 1.14V is pretty impressive in my opinion. At least overclocking and power consumption is improoved.

MSI Z77MA-G45; Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz with stock cooler (75°C max. in Prime95); Corsiar Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1600MHz CL9; EVGA GTX 650Ti SSC 2GB GDDR5 @ stock; Samsung 840 120GB (15s boot time); WD Green 500GB; Corsair CX430; Corsair 350D; BenQ RL2455HM (best gaming 60Hz monitor); Logitech G400 mouse; Logitech K120 keyboard; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

i still have a core 2 duo..

i still have a core 2 duo..

Then it will be an even greater performance increase. Congrats on having a Core 2 duo! I have some P4's in some machines still.