3570k to the limit!

odrusso

I plan on getting a Intel i5 3570k, and really want to squeeze every drop out of it. So, which air cooler should I get? I don't really mind about acoustics, just performance.

It's going to go in a Corsair 500R, with the stock fan configuration (Is that sufficient?)

Other specs are:

i5 3570k

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

MSI R7970 Lightning

Not sure on the PSU yet, but probably a Raidmax RX-630SS

Intel

i5 3570k; Asus P8Z77-V LX; Asus GTX 780 @ Stock; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); Shimian QH270-Lite (RIP); Logitech G710+ & G502; HD518s; SOLO6c's; ZH-DX200-CBs.

i7 4790k; Asus Z97-Pro Gaming; 2x Asus GTX 780; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); AOC G2460PQU 144hz.

Intel 

If you want to squeeze out every drop of power from a 3570k, use water cooling, not air.

If you want to squeeze out every drop of power from a 3570k, use water cooling, not air.
Ok, every drop with air :)

Intel

i5 3570k; Asus P8Z77-V LX; Asus GTX 780 @ Stock; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); Shimian QH270-Lite (RIP); Logitech G710+ & G502; HD518s; SOLO6c's; ZH-DX200-CBs.

i7 4790k; Asus Z97-Pro Gaming; 2x Asus GTX 780; 8GB Kingston Blu; Corsair GS700; Corsair 230T (White); AOC G2460PQU 144hz.

Intel 

Thermaltake Silver Arrow

Noctua NH-D14

Silverstone Heligon HE01

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Any one of those should have the performance to suffice, though the Silver Arrow probably wins as far as performance to noise ratio (edit: Performance on par with NH-D14, quieter in the execution).

I think the NH-D14 is probably the best performance for air-cooling. But if you want the best performance, why air-cool?

the NH -D14 is by far the best heatsink / air-cooler as of today. its super quiet ...and it is awesome! you can get to around 4.7 ghz with 1.3 volts and the NH -D14 will keep it nice and cool!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I think the NH-D14 is probably the best performance for air-cooling. But if you want the best performance, why air-cool?

$$$$. And if I wanted the best proformance, why not get a 3970X? $$$$

Intel

Intel 

If you're using this computer for only gaming the i5-3570k and i7-3970X are almost on par.. bad comparison XD

You don't gain much in games from using an i7 over an i5 :(

I know nothing about air cooling but I've heard that the Thermaltake Frio OCK is one of the best air coolers out there. Not speaking from experience though.

Exactly my point, I'd rather spend $50 on a good air cooler, and get 95% of the CPUs max poitental, than spend $500 on a water cooling loop to get 100%... It just seemed pointless at this point.

Intel

Intel 

I do believe you have a severe misconception.. Water cooling allows you to push your cpu that much faster compared to simple air cooling. Water cooling also does not cost THAT much more than air cooling, generally $20-40 more for anywhere from a 400Mhz to 800Mhz extra overclock depending on the quality.

Woah, yeah that's not correct at all haha.

I agree with Lukiose on this one.

You don't need to get a *custom* water loop, just get an H100i for example. It will give you a much better overclock.

The only real reason to get the NH-D14 over something like an H100i is to save like $40.

The Frio OCK performs well but can't match the NH-D14 and when you set the fan speed to maximum it's really loud.

Considering an NH-D14 gets you 4.7-4.8GHz, how much higher could the H100 make it go?

If you are blessed with a normal/good chip proper water cooling can get it above 5Ghz with proper tuning relatively easily. You also do not have to bother with the noise that air cooling makes when the fans are turned up high.

Exactly what Lukiose is saying.

The only time water cooling gets so much more expensive is when you start cooling other things like GPU's and Motherboard Chipsets. Those extra water blocks cost ~$100 each (usually), so they aren't even really for the CPU anyway. Then you would need another Radiator to compensate for all the extra heat and that's easily another $50-$100.

However, if you are just focused on the CPU, an H100i can be perfect for your needs (although more expensive).

DEPENDING on when you are building this computer, you might even be interested in this:

(It's a Linus video).

In case one day you decide you want to go full on water cooling when you have more money. Just so you know, I'd buy it, and I'm building a water cooling system very soon, so I might wait for this very product because it is soooo epic.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You want the absolute best air cooler? ... That's a hard choice.

I'd say either the NH-D14, or the Dark Rock Pro 2.

Dark Rock Pro 2 ($80-$90, without shipping)

Very heavy duty, 10 heat pipes, epic looking. Etc.

NH-D14 ($81, without shipping)

Very Heavy duty as well, 12 heat pipes, Looks like diarrhea, etc.

That's 2 heatpipes less than the NH-D14, but at least the fans aren't fugly. :( Sorry Noctua, I live your performance, but I don't like diarrhea in my case. I just don't.

Up to you if you care about aesthetics. That's why I bothered mentioning the Dark Rock Pro 2.

I attached pictures of both.

Just remember to get low-profile RAM so it will fit in your case with either of these monsters. Seriously. Very important.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ok, I must have been majorly wrong then :) I've heard that going with a H100(i) isn't anywhere near what you will get with a custom loop. But if it is really that much better, then why not :)

Intel

Intel 

With a custom loop it really does depend.

A bad implementation of a custom loop will be worse than an H100i. A good implementation will be better.

Generally it's easier to use a CPU cooler that is quick to install, doesn't require the technical knowledge of proper watercooling, and will give you reliable performance regardless of your technical skill level.

The H100i Is a really good AIO. Just make sure you download the firmware OP so the fans wont make the grinding noise.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You can buy some pretty Decent Custom loop Kits for a Bit more than the H100i though, if your going to take it that far.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

xspc does have some cheapo wc kit

Hex

Asrock Z77 extreme 4 / I5-3570k LGA 1155 / Asus Matrix Platinum / Silverstone SE700 / Gskill Ripjawx 1600 4gb x 2 / Noctua nh-d14 / Creative Zxr / 1 tb Black x 2 raid 1 / 128gb Intel 520 x 2 raid 0

^XSPC Raystorm RS240. The reviews on it seem pretty good too. It's around $144.99 and it comes with everything! I'm going to buy that for my build soon with bitspower compression fittings, mayhem coolant, and duralene tubing! If you want to push your 3570k to the limit, you're going to have to water cool, not air cool. If you're afraid of doing it yourself, there is always the h100i, kraken x60, or the upcoming swiftech h220.

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

You won't even be able to get much out of it due to the Motherboard you have.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD