Very High Latency/Unreliable Internet Connection

Boink
Go to solution Solved by Boink,

Okay, so as it turns out we are being attacked. I guess that's just what happens when you host a political website. The necessary countermeasures are being put in place, thank you for your help.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in networking...

My internet connection has very high latency, sometimes upwards of 500ms with occasional packet loss. I've done tests on multiple computers throughout the house and they all come back with the same result. The strange thing is that sometimes my internet connection goes back to normal latency. When the internet isn't working properly (which is most of the time) the download speeds are completely unaffected but the upload speeds are slowed to a crawl.

Please note that all computers in the house are connected via ethernet (except two laptops and our phones)

Things that I have tried include:

Restarting the modem and router

Restarting the computer

Replacing ethernet cables

Replacing the modem

Replacing the coaxial cable running to the modem

Contacting Time Warner (they told us to do the above/sent in technicians to do it)

All of which have done nothing.

Speedtest and pingtest results:

103948549.png

3685982743.png

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

check the connectors where ever the cable line goes into your house, typically there is a barrel connector somewhere along it that may need tightened, also check the telephone pole as those typically have a barrel connector that may need tightened too.

Happened to me a few months ago, thats all that needed done to fix it for the most part.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What modem do you have? what router do you have? 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

check the connectors where ever the cable line goes into your house, typically there is a barrel connector somewhere along it that may need tightened, also check the telephone pole as those typically have a barrel connector that may need tightened too.

Happened to me a few months ago, thats all that needed done to fix it for the most part.

I can't get the box open for the life of me... Any tips on opening the grey box from hell?

What modem do you have? what router do you have? 

I guess the way I posted was a bit misleading, when they replaced the modem they also replaced the router so they are now a single unit. It's the Ubee ddw365

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I can't get the box open for the life of me... Any tips on opening the grey box from hell?

I guess the way I posted was a bit misleading, when they replaced the modem they also replaced the router so they are now a single unit. It's the Ubee ddw365

What type of screw does it use? and by box, I assume you are talking about something like this:

210_1877JUsb.JPG

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

What type of screw does it use? and by box, I assume you are talking about something like this:

210_1877JUsb.JPG

For everyone who has one of those dasterdly things... notice the writing on it. That's there for a reason. Do not screw with it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Mine is pretty similar, yes.

post-86623-0-56699200-1407910421_thumb.j

There is a plastic cover near the bottom, inside I found a coax plug (I'm assuming for diagnostics) with a ring around it that seems to be preventing the box from opening.

post-86623-0-54643600-1407910485_thumb.j

For everyone who has one of those dasterdly things... notice the writing on it. That's there for a reason. Do not screw with it.

Mine has no such writing, as you can see.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140813_010248.jpg

There is a plastic cover near the bottom, inside I found a coax plug (I'm assuming for diagnostics) with a ring around it that seems to be preventing the box from opening.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140813_010258.jpg

Do not, I repeat, do NOT screw with a utility box.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

That isn't a diagnostics port, but an actual key that is used to open the box up. It is meant to prevent vandalism and tampering or equipment.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT screw with a utility box.

Why? If it is attached to his house, he can do what he wants. At most he'll find a grounding connector for the cox line.

PS: The one on my house is just a standard electrical gang with two phillips screws. I had all my wiring moved underground from overhang in my ongoing remodel.

TO the OP: My initial guess would be that the COAX cable is not properly grounded, I can see that it is bonded to a iron water pipe. Call up TWC or leave a detailed response here: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect You'll get stellar help.

And by the way, in order for the cable to be properly grounded, it should be grounded at the electrical meter with either this:bonding-meter-clamp.jpg or have it be grounded to the inside of the meter on the ground bar. 

That is the only thing I can think of at the moment.

That isn't a diagnostics port, but an actual key that is used to open the box up. It is meant to prevent vandalism and tampering or equipment.

Why? If it is attached to his house, he can do what he wants. At most he'll find a grounding connector for the cox line.

PS: The one on my house is just a standard electrical gang with two phillips screws. I had all my wiring moved underground from overhang in my ongoing remodel.

TO the OP: My initial guess would be that the COAX cable is not properly grounded, I can see that it is bonded to a iron water pipe. Call up TWC or leave a detailed response here: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect You'll get stellar help.

And by the way, in order for the cable to be properly grounded, it should be grounded at the electrical meter with either this:bonding-meter-clamp.jpg or have it be grounded to the inside of the meter on the ground bar. 

Guess it's different down south. Utility boxes up here in Canada, even if on your house, are not your property, and tampering with them is illegal, even just opening it.

Guess it's different down south. Utility boxes up here in Canada, even if on your house, are not your property, and tampering with them is illegal, even just opening it.

In the States, you are legally allowed to open a utility box as long as it isn't a multi-family structure, like an apartment building. As a matter of fact, most utilities are required to have customer access to some degree. My initial impressions is that TWC may have put that box on the OPs house if the area has had a high level of vandalism or cable theft in the area, or the OP may be living in a side by side apartment? 

But to the OP: that cable isn't proper grounded (imho). Pipes are meant to be electrically bonded by code, not be a meant for grounding of other equipment.

Also to the op:

Go to "http://192.168.100.1"

Enter the default username and password, should be: user

Click Status, on the top navigation bar, then click connection on the left pane

Post a screenshot of the bonded channels, 

This will determine if it truly is something wrong on TWC's end.

The pipe it's grounded to is the pipe that shields all the electrical cables, I checked both sides of the ground wire and they seem secure so unless the electrical pipe is inadequate for grounding I don't think that is the problem.

Also I live in a single residence household. I think the reason they have our boxes locked down to that degree is because we live near a collage with students that are notoriously rowdy.

The pipe it's grounded to is the pipe that shields all the electrical cables, I checked both sides of the ground wire and they seem secure so unless the electrical pipe is inadequate for grounding I don't think that is the problem.

When you get a chance please do this:

Also to the op:

Go to "http://192.168.100.1"

Enter the default username and password, should be: user

Click Status, on the top navigation bar, then click connection on the left pane

Post a screenshot of the bonded channels, 

This will determine if it truly is something wrong on TWC's end.

EDIT: It should look something like this:

post-419-0-24018800-1407913403_thumb.png

Okay, so as it turns out we are being attacked. I guess that's just what happens when you host a political website. The necessary countermeasures are being put in place, thank you for your help.

• 2 months later...

attachicon.gifIMG_20140813_010248.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140813_010258.jpg

Mine has no such writing, as you can see.

You can open that with ease! you might be able to do it with a screwdriver. I work with TWC, and whenever i lose my key, i just use a screwdriver. And disregard the guy telling you not to open it lol. The tool looks like this!

post-145942-0-66344000-1414543034.jpg

-snip-

Umm, you do realize that this thread is over 2 months old and solved, right?

His ground does meet Quality control standards. there is nothing wrong with his ground. You can ground to the metter mask as long as it is making direct contact with the metal. Which his does.

Umm, you do realize that this thread is over 2 months old and solved, right?

umm nope 0_o But maybe my info will help someone.....

umm nope 0_o But maybe my info will help someone.....

Do not necro old posts, please. If you have information that will help someone, do it in a new thread on an unsolved issue. Ignore old posts.

If you truly understand this, don't post a reply and let this thread stay dead.