Would you buy a high end sound card?

mythicalbeast

Well said. Lots of ignorance in this thread...

Welcome. Welcome to the audio sub.

Its been awhile, but it lasted about a month past Linus's videos. 

I miss those days, every other thread was a bitch fight, and I got censored for language or insults. 

I've never gotten any warning points.  It seems every time it's happened (this time too) so far somebody has started name calling and then you've stooped to their level.  Just ignore them.  They don't even have a point to prove anymore.  That's about the point general discussion just turns into trolling.

As for the point at hand, get whatever you want, but unless you can produce a valuable feature that you believe would provide a SIGNIFICANT advantage over standard onboard and let you win every game you play, I really fail to see - issues dealing with "sound quality" aside - where you would come up with a good reason to spend over $100 on something that's not a video card, cpu, memory, motherboard (with good onboard!), or even a case or cooling.  Given that this was a PC modding forum I figured when I started posting here that things like sound cards wouldn't even matter much to the majority of you in comparison to more interesting things you could overclock and post the results of into your signature.  I figured the biggest pieces of misinformation would swirl around surround sound and other things that are supposed to "improve your game".  Boy, was I wrong.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Solid point, enjoying the rain? 

Not really, it comes and goes and I can;t plan anything, trying to weld up a trailer in between showers. :angry:

You get warning points for arguing with people? lol.

But yea, good point, just annoys me sometimes when people start calling people kids and they are like, 17.

I'm 38, can I call people kids?

Its been awhile, but it lasted about a month past Linus's videos. 

I miss those days, every other thread was a bitch fight, and I got censored for language or insults. 

Ahhh, the good old days, I miss them.

You get annoyed rather easy then, don't you? Maybe you should get your tip wet.

But if you get the tip wet it goes rusty and then no one wants to play with it. :(

I've never gotten any warning points.  It seems every time it's happened (this time too) so far somebody has started name calling and then you've stooped to their level.  Just ignore them.  They don't even have a point to prove anymore.  That's about the point general discussion just turns into trolling.

As for the point at hand, get whatever you want, but unless you can produce a valuable feature that you believe would provide a SIGNIFICANT advantage over standard onboard and let you win every game you play, I really fail to see - issues dealing with "sound quality" aside - where you would come up with a good reason to spend over $100 on something that's not a video card, cpu, memory, motherboard (with good onboard!), or even a case or cooling.  Given that this was a PC modding forum I figured when I started posting here that things like sound cards wouldn't even matter much to the majority of you in comparison to more interesting things you could overclock and post the results of into your signature.  I figured the biggest pieces of misinformation would swirl around surround sound and other things that are supposed to "improve your game".  Boy, was I wrong.

I have only gotten points once, but that was because I out right called someone a moron,  he didn't get it and probably still doesn't, but that's his problem and I hope he's enjoying the music from is $250 sound card because if I spent that much I'd expect the sound to be delivered to my ears on gold platters by scantly clad nymphs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Actually, soundcards do have amps on them.

Can they power high impedance headphones?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Yeah. 

But are they as reliable as an external amp?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

But are they as reliable as an external amp?

yep

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

yep

But can they do things that good onboard audio can't?

And I think the more appropriate question is if they can power High Impedance Headphones well (Ala anything at the 300Ohm mark without sounding muffled)?

But can they do things that good onboard audio can't?

Depends. 

Your edit makes no sense, restate. 

Impedance isn't the deciding factor, just a part of a the equation. 

Depends. 

Your edit makes no sense, restate. 

Can sound cards power 300+Ohm Impedance Headphones at an acceptable level? (Seriously, I just laid it out there, but, eh, disparities in reading I guess.) For your personal clarification.

Ok, lets be more specific. Can it power something like a high-end planar (Lets take the LCD-3 from Audeze as the case) or something like the 250 Ohm DT880?

Not really, it comes and goes and I can;t plan anything, trying to weld up a trailer in between showers. :angry:

Neat, you should post photos. 

I have a brake job for the new Audi queued up, got a steal on carbon ceramic fronts. Also an oil change and fixing the a/c while she is on stands. 

Can sound cards power 300+Ohm Impedance Headphones at an acceptable level? (Seriously, I just laid it out there, but, eh, disparities in reading I guess.)

Yes. 

Can sound cards power 300+Ohm Impedance Headphones at an acceptable level? (Seriously, I just laid it out there, but, eh, disparities in reading I guess.) For your personal clarification.

That depends on the headphones sensitivity, ohmage does not dictate the headphones volume.  As far as SQ and loudness goes onboard and sound cards are the same,  some soundcards might be able to push a little harder some onboards can drive lower impedance headphones properly. It's just a matter of matching the right solution to your headphone.

Neat, you should post photos. 

I have a brake job for the new Audi queued up, got a steal on carbon ceramic fronts. Also an oil change and fixing the a/c while she is on stands. 

Yes. 

I have to do the oil in the fronty,   I will take some photos with ye olde trusty phone camera later.

That depends on the headphones sensitivity, ohmage does not dictate the headphones volume.  As far as SQ and loudness goes onboard and sound cards are the same,  some soundcards might be able to push a little harder some onboards can drive lower impedance headphones properly. It's just a matter of matching the right solution to your headphone.

I see. But this does show me that sound cards can be pretty redundant when all things about your hardware setup have to be considered. (At least, going by the audio implementations in more recent mobos.)

I have to do the oil in the fronty,   I will take some photos with ye olde trusty phone camera later.

*waits patiently.*

I still have to find the oil filter location on the Audi, hoping that it is a better placement then the Miata, which was at the front-ish of the block, yet only reachable from the back of the transmission. (May get photos later) 

I see. But this does show me that sound cards can be pretty redundant when all things about your hardware setup have to be considered. (At least, going by the audio implementations in more recent mobos.)

Yeah, and that people buy them to use with speakers and Kraken's. 

*waits patiently.*

I still have to find the oil filter location on the Audi, hoping that it is a better placement then the Miata, which was at the front-ish of the block, yet only reachable from the back of the transmission. (May get photos later) 

Yeah, and that people buy them to use with speakers and Kraken's. 

Now I want fried Kalamari.

Now I want fried Kalamari.

I was in Chinatown, LA this time last year, I ate half a pound of deep fried kalamari and felt great for about two hours.