Would you buy a high end sound card?

mythicalbeast

Id just get a nice pair of headphones :P

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

No, if anything I would much rather get an AMP/DAC combo.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

No, if anything I would much rather get an AMP/DAC combo.

same.

I see how soundcards can be useful, especially if you need specific outputs that the motherboard might not provide, however I personally prefer to use an external DAC and amp.

If I can hear the difference and if I have a high end sound system to go with it, then why not...

Otherwise, I'll stick to my onboard audio and old component system...

fuck no, the sound cards in modern motherboards are pretty god damn awesome.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Not in a thousand years,i am selling mine and buying audio engine D1,people don't make the same mistake i did.Stay away from soundcards.

I would if it could serve the purposes of both AMP and DAC and didn't have buggy software related stuff.

Sadly, only the DAC portion is covered, and the onboard sound on most good motherboards released  within the past 2 years can do that job just as well.

So NO.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

What exactly is the point of this exercise.

To see how many people watch Linus's audio videos. 

hue

Was tempted to make lemming plural to poke for a hive mind, but that would imply minds are involved. 

Was tempted to make lemming plural to poke for a hive mind, but that would imply minds are involved. 

ha

I would if it could serve the purposes of both AMP and DAC and didn't have buggy software related stuff.

Sadly, only the DAC portion is covered

Actually, soundcards do have amps on them.

Nope. External dacs are superior in every way.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Not really, only one. 

TwilightZoneTimeEnoughAtLast.jpg

I see, and how many ways are there?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This many. 

I knew it,  it was hard to count with all that wool pulled over my eyes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.