Could someone explain this whole room watercooling set up to me?

Hey LTT,

So on the WAN show the past couple weeks, Linus and Slick have been talking about the whole room watercooling set up. Now while the loop makes sense as in external rads and 5 systems being cooled but a couple things don't make sense to me.

This week Luke said you could use quick disconnects to move a computer our of the loop. I have the loop in my mind as a big pump pushing through 5 PC's (which have D5's in them) straight then to the external radiators. So how would you disconnect and reconnect without shutting down the other pumps and computers? 

To make this a little clearer I imagine this:

Big Pump

5 PC's straight

External rads

and back to pump

If you think about disconnecting one PC with quick disconnects, the liquid would hit a block at the disconnect before it is reconnected. So would you have to shut down the other PC's and pump to move one computer? Then you can reconnect the disconnects bypassing the one you just moved.

Also when disconnected, if the pump is still running, the pump will pull the liquid from the other side of the connect. So basically lets say you disconnect the 3rd computer. The liquid in the 4th and 5th computer would still be pulled by the pump. If the loops are air tight then a mini vacuum will occur before you can reconnect the 4th computer to the 2nd computer in the loop.

Secondly, I understand that in single computers loops the loop order does not matter because the temp of the liquid equalizes. In a 5 PC loop wouldn't the temps of the liquid be very hot by the time it reaches the last PC? My understanding of a D5 is that the liquid should not reach over 60c. But after 4 CPU's and GPU's, wouldn't the liquid be much higher than 60c?

Maybe I have the whole loop mixed up in my head. Could someone correct me if I've made any mistakes in this and explain to me the whole set up?

Thanks!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

This may be off topic but i would be surprised if they put a pool as the reservoir. On the Wan Show yesterday, Barnacules said also said if they had a pool then he would drive to B.C and take a shower in it.

This may be off topic but i would be surprised if they put a pool as the reservoir.

They may have to to pull this off

This may be off topic but i would be surprised if they put a pool as the reservoir.

They will not use a pool the will use a bath tub a pool would be excesive 

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

The PCs will be connected in parallel not series.

Also think of it as a tap in your house. When you shut it off none of the other ones explode right? There is a pressure limiter. All the taps are connected to the same pipe.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They will not use a pool the will use a bath tub a pool would be excesive 

I said " I would be SURPRISED  if they put a pool as a reservoir."

The PCs will be connected in parallel not series.

But still. If you disconnect the first one, the whole loop needs to be shut down right?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

But still. If you disconnect the first one, the whole loop needs to be shut down right?

Read my edited post :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Read my edited post :)

But if you disconnect one of your taps, then you can't run the pump without reconnecting that pipe correct?

But if you disconnect one of your taps, then you can't run the pump without reconnecting that pipe correct?

Yes you can. Turning off a tap is the equivalent of disconnecting it because no water goes through.

The pump will keep running but will be moving less water. This will not damage the pump though even if the water is completely stalled.

Spoiler

I said " I would be SURPRISED  if they put a pool as a reservoir."

sorry, i misunderstood, english is not my main language and sometimes i get confused

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Yes you can. Turning off a tap is the equivalent of disconnecting it because no water goes through.

The pump will keep running but will be moving less water. This will not damage the pump though even if the water is completely stalled.

I imagine this:

P=pump

C= computers

Doesn't seem to work in my head.

JH67CdX.png

T barb or whatever it's called? You have a main line and you can connect to it. 

I imagine this:

P=pump

C= computers

JH67CdX.png

This is off topic but it looks like a snake. I guess if they did this then probably one of the tubes would leak i guess?

VSQLEjm.jpg

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I imagined one pipe that circulates water around using the main pump and then each computer comes off that pipe at a T and then returns the water to that pipe at another T so if one is unplugged the water just bypasses the T completely and goes to the next computer

Edit: exactly like LED posted just a bit before me LOL

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Refer to @L.E.D 's post.

The 2 cut-off tubes at the bottom should go to the outdoor radiators...

The only problem I see here would be coolant freezing during the winter... They 'could' use antifreeze but how would it react with the waterblocks in the PCs?

I imagine this:

P=pump

C= computers

It will be like this:

post-4438-0-14042200-1407645768_thumb.pn

post-4438-0-14042200-1407645768_thumb.pn

Spoiler

It's just a giant parallel loop. Or at least that's what would make sense.

Basically what L.E.D said. Water get's distributed to all systems at the same time, and returns in a common line that gets to the radiators, that are again, in parallel.

With the massive pressure there will be no temperature difference between systems, and you can disconnect one and the flow chain won't be interrupted, as the water gets in and out almost at the same time on all the PCs.

Refer to @L.E.D 's post.

The only problem I see here would be coolant freezing during the winter... They 'could' use antifreeze but how would it react with the waterblocks in the PCs?

Where they are the temp doesn't get lower than -10c with the CPU heat it would keep it above 0c so it shouldnt be a problem either way

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Refer to @L.E.D 's post.

why would there be risk of freezing? Isn't the loop supposed to be inside a house or am I missing something here? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

why would there be risk of freezing? Isn't the loop supposed to be inside a house or am I missing something here? 

The point of this whole setup is to move heat from inside to outside through liquid, the rads will be bolted to the side of the house. Outside.

It was supposed to hang outside the room's window with industrial Noctua fans iirc...

• 1 month later...

Did they post a final video about this? I think i missed the vlogs or whatever they were going to release.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Did they post a final video about this? I think i missed the vlogs or whatever they were going to release.

There was a short tour of the system in-progress a wee while ago.