Anyone want to learn the basics of programming?

faftek

If anyone's actually interested in learning how to program I'm going to be doing a livestream at http://www.twitch.tv/faftek

I'll be using visual studio so just pick up visual studio express from here: http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

It probably won't install in time but you should be able to pick up the basics really quickly!

I'm starting at 10PM EST and the first few minutes will just be some discussion while everyone joins in and gets ready!

Hopefully I'll see a few people.

Oops forgot to mention it was c#

Nice! Glad to see more programmers are coming on the forum. What language? C#? (Hoping it was C++)

Yeah c# for now, it's a lot easier to start with c# to get all of the basics down then go to c++ (plus you can also move to java and javascript with less of a headache)

But professionals aren't fun :l

Might as well cut the BS and learn from a professional if you're going to take programming seriously....

Might as well cut the BS and learn from a professional if you're going to take programming seriously....

Maybe not everyone wants to take it "seriously".

Why are you being a douche? The guy just wants to teach people what he knows. Let him.

Hay! I'm a professional :(

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I assumed they were talking about professional teachers, rather than professional software engineers. >_>

I assumed they were talking about professional teachers, rather than professional software engineers. >_>

Well that's okay then :)

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Well you're boring then! Haha just kidding

Maybe not everyone wants to take it "seriously".

Why are you being a douche? The guy just wants to teach people what he knows. Let him.

I'm not being a douche..... I just think that if you're not learning from a professional, you might learn slower and miss some key points.

I'm not being a douche..... I just think that if you're not learning from a professional, you might learn slower and miss some key points.

Now you have two people calling you out as one. Perhaps your response should have been less harsh in conveying your opinion on this topic. Moreover how does one actually become a "professional" in the first instance? I think this is a very good initiative started by someone who is obviously very passionate about programming/software and encouraging others to join in on the journey.

Now you have two people calling you out as one. Perhaps your response should have been less harsh in conveying your opinion on this topic. Moreover how does one actually become a "professional" in the first instance? I think this is a very good initiative started by someone who is obviously very passionate about programming/software and encouraging others to join in on the journey.

You go to college to technically become a professional. Opinions are all over the internet. You just have to deal with them.

You go to college to technically become a professional. Opinions are all over the internet. You just have to deal with them.

Do you indeed? I suppose then that at least two of my colleges who are at a higher level than I currently am cannot therefore be classified as professionals by applying your logic... interesting. My question was largely intended to be rhetorical however. Digressing into this particular argument merits an entire thread of it's own.

Moving back to addressing the issue at hand; there is expressing ones opinion and then there is being simply offensive. You were demonstrating the latter of these. If one does not have anything positive/constructive to add, one should instead remain silent for risk of appearing like a "douche".

Do you indeed? I suppose then that at least two of my colleges who are at a higher level than I currently am cannot therefore be classified as professionals by applying your logic... interesting. My question was largely intended to be rhetorical however. Digressing into this particular argument merits an entire thread of it's own.

Moving back to addressing the issue at hand; there is expressing ones opinion and then there is being simply offensive. You were demonstrating the latter of these. If one does not have anything positive/constructive to add, one should instead remain silent for risk of appearing like a "douche".

k.

what does programming exactly do ??

BUILD : CPU-Intel Core i7 4790K | MOTHERBOARD-ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK1 | RAM-G.SKILL RipjawsZ 32GB | GPU-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780 OC | CASE-Corsair Graphite 760T Black | STORAGE- SATA III 240gb SDD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W Gold | COOLING-Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid

what does programming exactly do ??

Programming is (at its most simple level) just providing instructions to a computer to tell it what to do.

It is a really cool and very powerful skill to have. If you know how to program you can get a computer to pretty much do anything you want.

im willing to watch :), if not we can skype and you can teach me 

BUILD : CPU-Intel Core i7 4790K | MOTHERBOARD-ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK1 | RAM-G.SKILL RipjawsZ 32GB | GPU-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780 OC | CASE-Corsair Graphite 760T Black | STORAGE- SATA III 240gb SDD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W Gold | COOLING-Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid

You could always stream coding sessions on twitch haha x3

Also, it's good to code with many different types of people. It's best to explore what is out there.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |