Dead Hard Drive, No Warranty. What now?

Luke

The title says it all. I have a 1TB HDD that no longer works on any computer i test it on and it has no warranty anymore. It would be nice if i could send it back to western digital to have them fix it for a small fee but i don't think that's the way it works.

Any help is appreciated.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

If you have any important data on it you should contact WD and try and get it fixed. If not you should buy another hard drive and and an SSD

Well the only thing you can do is try to recover the data and get it on a new HDD. If you can't recover the data on it then I hope you have backups for family things...

There is no important data on the drive. So now that the drive has stopped working it's trash? That seems a little stupid. We have no clue what went wrong for all we know it could be something simple.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

You can try and recover the data, but it isn't easy, and data recovery services are extremely expensive (talking thousands of dollars, unless its vital work related things, this usually isn't an option for someone).

There is no important data on the drive. I wan't it fixed for the sake of having a 1TB HDD apposed to a piece of metal that is considered worthless broken trash. Of course i'm not going to spend more money to fix it than it would cost to produce one new but if that's the case then there is something seriously wrong with the way things work.

There is no important data on the drive. So now that the drive has stopped working it's trash? That seems a little stupid. We have no clue what went wrong for all we know it could be something simple.

Well yes its trash, at least recyclable trash. I have a box full of dead drives or drives that have so many bad sectors its not worth using them anymore. You can still try to use it if it will spin up and format, just don't go thinking it will last long. Then I do use drives with many bad sectors for testing where I don't care if it dies.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Sell it on eBay and you'll still get some money for it, explain the problem and set an auction.

If you have drives that still work but have to many bad sectors, sell the PCB on eBay, sell shipping weight.

I'd take it apart and torture it, like I do with my busted hard drives that don't pass the seek test anymore. Pretty much worthless now. should see if they are still using glass platters like them IBM deskstars :P

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Before you render this drive completely dead, download an Ubuntu Live CD and burn it to a disk, Boot from the Disk and see if that will recognize drive, Ubuntu (Just about any Linux Distro) will over power Windows in about any way, except for playing games, So give my idea a shot and let me know, You could also get a USB Image and use that,

Ubuntu Download Link:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

USB Guide:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Enter my contest to win another free drive!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.