G2A windows, settling this issue

Archangel1994

Hello everybody,

We've all seen it float around the forum: "Is G2A a good site to buy windows from?" It's a fair question because they sell windows 8.1 versions (full, not some trial thing) at too good to be true low prices. This is where it starts though, it is literally too good to be true.

G2A keys are this cheap because of 2 reasons. The first is because these keys are not sold by G2A itself but the marketplace. The second is because they are keys that were sold to students (usually) and are MSDN keys. MSDN keys are not meant for resale and are usually only good for 1-2 years as opposed to forever when you buy it from windows.

A kind soul from tomshardware (Darkbreeze, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2211493/g2a-windows-professional-64bit-legitimate.html) asked windows and got an answer from the piracy prevention team saying that G2A  IS NOT licensed to sell windows keys.

In short, G2A is not allowed to sell keys and the keys they are selling are not even for resale. My advice is just pay for the proper windows so you do not risk anything and so that you do not have to go through the potential hassle that is "Key invalid"  the hassle that is slow refunding when the key does not work.

-Archangel

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

As I said in another thread, I spoke to a member of staff at G2A and they say they guarantee the legitimacy of the key, if it ended up being identified as illegitimate at any time then they'll refund you or get you a new key.  Even if the key only lasts a year or two years, it's only £10.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I don't care, i buy Windows from the Microsoft store. I wouldn't buy it from G2A because theirs a risk of it being invalid.

As I said in another thread, I spoke to a member of staff at G2A and they say they guarantee the legitimacy of the key, if it ended up being identified as illegitimate at any time then they'll refund you or get you a new key.  Even if the key only lasts a year or two years, it's only £10.

They may well guarantee it but if Microsoft's own piracy prevention team says they are not licensed then they should not be selling it, legitimate or not.

Also I never questioned the whether or not the key is legitimate.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

If I can save $70 or more, even if it only lasts "1-2 years", I'm taking that deal.

I don't care, i buy Windows from the Microsoft store. I wouldn't buy it from G2A because theirs a risk of it being invalid.

Use G2A Shield. For an extra $1 USD or so you'll get a full refund if they key is invalid.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

They will give you your money back if it doesn't work, whatever. I've bought two keys already without using the G2A Shield thing! I'm using my laptop with G2A bought windows right now! No problems whatsoever.

If I can save $70 or more, even if it only lasts "1-2 years", I'm taking that deal.

Use G2A Shield. For an extra $1 USD or so you'll get a full refund if they key is invalid.

The fact that you have to pay $1 to get a full refund is really idiotic.

I looked into it to it as well, what I could tell is that the keys are either Dreamspark Premium keys from students (which I believe are just like normal retail keys, so should be good forever) or MSDN keys (which I think are valid until the person you got the key from ends his/her subscription).

At least Microsoft makes some money when they are selling Windows to licensed sellers.

They may well guarantee it but if Microsoft's own piracy prevention team says they are not licensed then they should not be selling it, legitimate or not.

Also I never questioned the whether or not the key is legitimate.

As you said, G2A isn't a licensed reseller and should't be selling the keys. But you ALSO pointed out, it's not G2A selling them. Members from the community marketplace are. If G2A was shut down or similar because of this, the actual sellers could run of somewhere else to sell their keys: /r/softwareswap or other.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

As you said, G2A isn't a licensed reseller and should't be selling the keys. But you ALSO pointed out, it's not G2A selling them. Members from the community marketplace are. If G2A was shut down or similar because of this, the actual sellers could run of somewhere else to sell their keys: /r/softwareswap or other.

The selling of it is done with G2A as the middleman which (if I recall correctly) is not permitted either.

The fact that you have to pay $1 to get a full refund is really idiotic.

You spend the $1 for piece of mind if anything goes wrong with the key you buy.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Honestly in 2 years windows 8 won't be relevant, so why bother?

I use for my personal keys, the ones my university give me. I used them in both proper and not recommended ways (giving them out to relatives) And there is no problem with it, as the license doesn't get checked or shutdown at all, after 3 years the license expires and the university gives you new keys to update the system. When I had one of my systems with Windows 7 expire (I use W8.1 on the main rig), I just update the new key.

G2A uses similar keys most of the times, if it expires just buy another one, it's much cheaper and you shouldn't be using the same OS for 5 years+ anyway.

The selling of it is done with G2A as the middleman which (if I recall correctly) is not permitted either.

Therefore, if G2A is terminated, it's just the middleman which is terminated. The sellers MSDN account will still exist and he/she will still be able to sell keys elsewhere, without G2A. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that buying them illegally is a good thing, it's just much cheaper. If I bought Windows "properly", I'd properly have to sacrifice some of my PCs power to fit in my budget.

Therefore, if G2A is terminated, it's just the middleman which is terminated. The sellers MSDN account will still exist and he/she will still be able to sell keys elsewhere, without G2A. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that buying them illegally is a good thing, it's just much cheaper. If I bought Windows "properly", I'd properly have to sacrifice some of my PCs power to fit in my budget.

This is one of those arguments that just flat out makes no sense. "Because otherwise it will happen elsewhere". Having to sacrifice PC power to make it fit into your budget is pretty bad anyway. OS really is something that should be bought outside the budget REGARDLESS of budget

Whether they find a new middleman or not is irrelevant. Windows could just go about shutting G2A down, then on to the next middleman and so forth.

"MSDN keys are not meant for resale and are usually only good for 1-2 years as opposed to forever when you buy it from windows."

Who cares when it cost £10,  6 months is good for £10, even if it ends in 31 days it cost nothing.

Even if it ends in 31 days it cost nothing.

That would result in 120 in a year which is more expensive then a full normal certified version.

if some of the codes do only last 1-2 years why not buy it again when it runs out its still cheaper than paying full price i am sure ms will come out with a new OS with in that time 

I think it is worth getting it since in two years there is probably going to be a new OS.

Also, How much is 10 dollars? Two Big Macs?

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

That would result in 120 in a year which is more expensive then a full normal certified version.

Ha, yeah i'm not recommending that you would do that, if it only lasted 31 days then oh well it cost £10 and i'll go and pay full price....but there's a chance it lasts for some time so why not take the chance.  B)

Thanks for explaining is it he same thing on reddit?

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

It has been almost 2 years since, and G2A has changed a great deal during this time. We understood the concerns of our customers, like the ones present in this thread, and began developing and expanding our services to deal with all of them. As our Marketplace has grown, we have gained countless trustworthy and reliable sellers whom offer a wide range of products for good prices. Moreover all of our customers have access to G2A Shield and Resolution Centre, in case they experience a rare issue with their product. To strike one of the main issues of gaining continuous trust from both the developers and our customers, G2A Direct has been created. We hope it will bring new quality to the industry and bring closer together the expectations and demands of customers and developers.

If you have any further questions or doubts, keep in mind that you can always find additional information on G2A's FAQ or by contacting us on Live Chat or writing at helpdesk(at)g2a.com. Our consultants are there for you 24/7.

See you again at G2A!

Rob

G2A Team

On 5/28/2016 at 8:48 PM, G2A_Team said:

Greetings,

It has been almost 2 years since, and G2A has changed a great deal during this time. We understood the concerns of our customers, like the ones present in this thread, and began developing and expanding our services to deal with all of them. As our Marketplace has grown, we have gained countless trustworthy and reliable sellers whom offer a wide range of products for good prices. Moreover all of our customers have access to G2A Shield and Resolution Centre, in case they experience a rare issue with their product. To strike one of the main issues of gaining continuous trust from both the developers and our customers, G2A Direct has been created. We hope it will bring new quality to the industry and bring closer together the expectations and demands of customers and developers.

If you have any further questions or doubts, keep in mind that you can always find additional information on G2A's FAQ or by contacting us on Live Chat or writing at helpdesk(at)g2a.com. Our consultants are there for you 24/7.

See you again at G2A!

Rob

G2A Team

Funny I just had a horrible experience using your site to buy a FF14 key and will never use it again for any products. I paid for the extra shield protection and my options were to get an "instant" refund which meant waiting 14 days for my money back, or waiting for the seller to respond (WHICH IS AN OPTION WITHOUT THE SHIELD PROTECTION) and get them to refund or replace the key, potentially faster. What a joke that service is.

Good news is I did find this one for windows keys  http://mskeystore.tictail.com/ and so far worked fine no problem, bought office and 2 copies of windows and all has been great.

On 8/9/2014 at 4:18 PM, Jamdude said:

You spend the $1 for piece of mind if anything goes wrong with the key you buy.

If you buy a faulty product, you're entitled to a refund. I think his point was that peace of mind shouldn't cost you an extra penny more than you've already spent. I don't think it's even legal to charge extra for the right to a refund in some places.

9 hours ago, typographie said:

If you buy a faulty product, you're entitled to a refund. I think his point was that peace of mind shouldn't cost you an extra penny more than you've already spent. I don't think it's even legal to charge extra for the right to a refund in some places.

In Europe it isn't at all, but G2A is probably from East Asia, where customer protection laws may not be as advanced.

Anyway, Ihis "I'll take a key that works for 2 years for less money" simply fails me: they could settle for an older version of Windows and upgrade at a later time. The retail version of Windows 7 currently sells for 45 € on European Amazon websites. If the person who buys from G2A/Microsoft Software Swap/Kinguin/whatever doesn't want to pay full price, why not going the pirate route anyway?