Carey Holzman says some stuff about LTT.

TheSLSAMG

No, because he continued to bash you in the comments of his video. He repeatedly accuses you of being a paid mouthpiece for you sponsors and implies that people should not listen to anything you say because you are contractly obligated to say what you are told and not what you think. He also says that you and other youtubers like you, don't have any actual technical knowledge or experience.

I just looked at his comment section of that video, he seemed to have removed a lot of comments, cause I know last night he did comment on more stuff

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Glad I dont have the same logic as you. I have liked alot of things other people dont like.........doesnt make me an idiot. You are either really young or have a disturbing fascination with Linus. It reminds me of people that get mad when someone says something bad about Justin Beiber.............. I can tell by your posts you are genuinely upset that someone said something bad about Linus. Maybe Linus will give you a tshirt or some signed thermal paste or something for being such a loyal follower...lmao

It's not a matter of liking something or not. I use LTT as a resource for a lot of different things, technical knowledge, product information, product performance, and more. Those things help me form opinions on what I should buy and use for myself as well as the advice that I give my friends and family for their technical needs. With the video, and the comments that followed, Carey said that what Linus says is not honest. That he is reading from a script that the sponsors give him. If me and millions of other people are listening to what Linus says, that means we are either not smart enough to recognize that we are being lied to or that we just don't care that we are being lied to.

That's very insulting. To make matters worse, the way Carey spends 75% of the time in his videos bashing other people, companies and products for not being good enough for him, and the other 25% he is talking up the people, companies and products that he does use and support. The video that got this all started is nearly half an hour long, and he spends almost the whole time either talking about how smart he is, or insulting people like bashing people with accents. Of course he backtracks and tries to say he's not being offensive, but having to talk to people with accents was the reason he gave as to why it's a bad idea to buy a brand name computer.

He didn't bring up that the quality of the components in brand name computers can be bad. He didn't bring up the fact that brand name computers will be overpriced compared to building it yourself. Instead he chose to spend 5 minutes insulting people with accents and saying you should by products from brand name companies so you don't have to deal with people you can't understand. He also uses that negative as a selling point as to why its better to have him build a system for you, like the customer whose parts he had sitting on the counter. But if you watch the video on where he actually gives details on how to hire him to build a computer for you, he specifically says he does not provide warranty or tech support. If something goes wrong you have to deal with the manufacturer or retailer on your own. Some of which use foreign call centers.

He also makes it very clear that he is not willing to do what the customer wants or to use the parts his customer wants. I watched several videos last night, and he kept saying the same thing over and over again. That there are only specific brands he will use when building a system for someone. Its one thing to have preferred brands, but forcing customers to use specific brands is not a good thing. Some professional businesses may only offer certain products, but Carey is having the customer buy the parts on their own. They should have the final say in what parts they use, not him. He goes on to say that people who don't agree with his decisions and preferences are not worth his time because he knows better than everyone else.

If he wants to do things his way and only his way, that's fine. But he crossed a line when he started calling out other people, and by extension everyone who listens to those other people. There was no reason for him to say what he said.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I really don't believe Linus is paid to do reviews. Companies provide sample products or Linus buys the product himself to review/use/test. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

The moment he made those statements in the video, I had to pause it and leave a comment. 

I also really don't think Carey meant any harm by what he said.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's not a matter of liking something or not. I use LTT as a resource for a lot of different things, technical knowledge, product information, product performance, and more. Those things help me form opinions on what I should buy and use for myself as well as the advice that I give my friends and family for their technical needs. With the video, and the comments that followed, Carey said that what Linus says is not honest. That he is reading from a script that the sponsors give him. If me and millions of other people are listening to what Linus says, that means we are either not smart enough to recognize that we are being lied to or that we just don't care that we are being lied to.

That's very insulting. To make matters worse, the way Carey spends 75% of the time in his videos bashing other people, companies and products for not being good enough for him, and the other 25% he is talking up the people, companies and products that he does use and support. The video that got this all started is nearly half an hour long, and he spends almost the whole time either talking about how smart he is, or insulting people like bashing people with accents. Of course he backtracks and tries to say he's not being offensive, but having to talk to people with accents was the reason he gave as to why it's a bad idea to buy a brand name computer.

He didn't bring up that the quality of the components in brand name computers can be bad. He didn't bring up the fact that brand name computers will be overpriced compared to building it yourself. Instead he chose to spend 5 minutes insulting people with accents and saying you should by products from brand name companies so you don't have to deal with people you can't understand. He also uses that negative as a selling point as to why its better to have him build a system for you, like the customer whose parts he had sitting on the counter. But if you watch the video on where he actually gives details on how to hire him to build a computer for you, he specifically says he does not provide warranty or tech support. If something goes wrong you have to deal with the manufacturer or retailer on your own. Some of which use foreign call centers.

He also makes it very clear that he is not willing to do what the customer wants or to use the parts his customer wants. I watched several videos last night, and he kept saying the same thing over and over again. That there are only specific brands he will use when building a system for someone. Its one thing to have preferred brands, but forcing customers to use specific brands is not a good thing. Some professional businesses may only offer certain products, but Carey is having the customer buy the parts on their own. They should have the final say in what parts they use, not him. He goes on to say that people who don't agree with his decisions and preferences are not worth his time because he knows better than everyone else.

If he wants to do things his way and only his way, that's fine. But he crossed a line when he started calling out other people, and by extension everyone who listens to those other people. There was no reason for him to say what he said.

I watched the video and he didn't say any of those things. All he stated was that Linus is paid to give those reviews and say good things about the products.......which is true. If you are getting all of your tech info from one source.......you are hugely limiting the resources available and hindering your knowledge. Millions of people are not listening to Linus because he doesn't have millions of followers by any means. Linus takes things out of a box, uses them and gives his opinion. That is all. I dont think he even has any actual tech certifications or related experience besides NCIX. He was a product manager and salesman while he was there. So yes, if you take one persons opinion as the final say on something especially someone with limited technical experience that is stupid. 

Edited by Razzaa
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

You have a lot of valid points here. Some I agree with and some I don't.

One thing I will defend is that sometimes, what the customer wants in terms of components - initially - isn't necessarily the best or most optimal, considering the customer's budget and how they want the PC to perform. It's like when people post up in the build planning thread with there initial build plan idea and we jump in and tell them why the parts they chose aren't necessarily ideal for their specific needs/budget. I think that's partly what Carey was trying to explain. However, limiting your customer to only two motherboard brands and what ever else he refuses to use, is very narrow-minded on Carey's part. Times change and products change over time. Get with the times, Carey! lol

We also have to remember, these are his opinions. You don't have to agree and you don't have to watch if you don't like him. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I watched the video and he didn't say any of those things. All he stated was that Linus is paid to give those reviews and say good things about the products.......which is true. If you are getting all of your tech info from one source.......you are hugely limiting the resources available and hindering your knowledge. Millions of people are not listening to Linus because he doesn't have millions of followers by any means. Linus takes things out of a box, uses them and gives his opinion. That is all. I dont think he even has any actual tech certifications or related experience besides NCIX. He was a product manager and salesman while he was there. So yes, if you take one persons opinion as the final say on something especially someone with limited technical experience that is stupid. 

Like I've said already, go read his comments for the video. He absolutely does say those things. I see you are also making assumptions about Linus's experience. Linus may not be as old as Carey, but none of that gives you are Carey the right to question anyone's experience. No that's not me standing up for him, that's me standing up against people who form opinions based on assumptions and not facts. I am smart enough to be able to tell when someone doesn't know what they are talking about. My trust in LTT comes from Linus demonstrating time and time again that he knows what he is talking about. It took a long time of knowing about and seeing his different videos before I subbed and joined the forums.

As far as Linus's followers. The LTT youtube channel alone has almost 950,000 subs. Its been brought up numerous times that not all of Linus's followers sub the LTT youtube channel. Yet just that one resource, out of many, has nearly a million followers. Carey's channel has less than 10% the number of subs that LTT does. Yet Carey's channel was created 10 months before LTT was. Not saying that makes Carey bad, but does make his comments seem like sour grapes. Based on Carey's comments he implies that Linus has only become more than 10 times as popular as he is because he reads scripts supplied to him by his sponsor's. Carey's channel also has 6 million total views, compared to LTT's 186 million. That's 3,100% more views.

Again, that's not sticking up for anyone, but it does go against everything Carey has said. A million plus people aren't being duped like he implies.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

But jmaster is not propping up Linus as much as he is tearing down Holzmen.  It's not about how good/bad linus is, everyone can make that decision for themselves, but if you watch enough of holzmens videos it starts to become apparent that he highly values his own opinion and insults or writes off anyone/company who disagrees and usually he does it without qualification or rational reason.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't like this guy's videos. He dosent try to make them entertaining IMO.

I have been watching both Carey's and Linus's videos for a while , Carey is a great tech, that being said , he does believe that he holds a far better understanding of tech and where you should go to purchase the tech , he hardly does review like Linus does , and YouTube isn't really what he does full time,Carey never has said that he makes computers for people on YouTube, the builds that he does are from other people that provide parts and ask him to build it , if he likes the build he builds it, His videos , while long are actually informative and can actually help you in your future purchases when it comes to tech, like which companies to buy from and which to avoid , but he never directly bashes on any companies , he just says that in his experience he has not had a good time dealing with such companies.

Now when it comes to Linus he gets tech from companies and gives his review on them , never have i seen Linus give a full 10/10 on any product,he might recommend buying some of the products that he reviews but will not oversell it if it actually is bad , but if companies hand him tech that he thinks is bad he doesn't review them, or gives them a bad review and doesn't recommend them.So that does tell me that he is not biased completely to whom he gets his tech from , but rather does or does not recommend them .

Both Linus and Carey are right in what they do , but i do think that Carey shouldn't have said that Linus was a bad or biased reviewer, Carey was mislead about Linus and i do not think meant anything bad.

I have been watching both Carey's and Linus's videos for a while , Carey is a great tech, that being said , he does believe that he holds a far better understanding of tech and where you should go to purchase the tech , he hardly does review like Linus does , and YouTube isn't really what he does full time,Carey never has said that he makes computers for people on YouTube, the builds that he does are from other people that provide parts and ask him to build it , if he likes the build he builds it, His videos , while long are actually informative and can actually help you in your future purchases when it comes to tech, like which companies to buy from and which to avoid , but he never directly bashes on any companies , he just says that in his experience he has not had a good time dealing with such companies.

Now when it comes to Linus he gets tech from companies and gives his review on them , never have i seen Linus give a full 10/10 on any product,he might recommend buying some of the products that he reviews but will not oversell it if it actually is bad , but if companies hand him tech that he thinks is bad he doesn't review them, or gives them a bad review and doesn't recommend them.

Both Linus and Carey are right in what they do , but i do think that Carey shouldn't have said that Linus was a bad or biased reviewer, Carey was mislead about Linus and i do not think meant anything bad.

I am not going to link it because I refuse to provide him views, but Carey has a youtube video where he specifically tells you how to hire him to build a computer for you. You have to send him $125 via PayPal before he will even speak to you. Then he calls you up, listens to what you want, then tells you that what you want is wrong and dictates to you the parts you should buy. You buy the parts and ship them to him. If you allow him to film the building of the computer, he will waive the additional cost of shipping. After he sends ships the computer to you, you are on your own.

Carey very well may be the best person in the world at building a computer, but his attitude is a problem. He also may not do Youtube full time, but its perfectly clear that he wants to and that he's angry and jealous of people like Linus. He also makes it perfectly clear that he despises people like Linus based on his comments and makes it clear that he thinks Linus isn't qualified to be giving people tech or PC advice. I've posted it twice in this thread, but go look at his ChannelPages ad. He wants sponsors and want to be making videos for those sponsors just like Linus does.

but he never directly bashes on any companies , he just says that in his experience he has not had a good time dealing with such companies.

Yes he does, in that HP review video that was posted  earlier he says that if he worked for HP he would call all the managers in and fire people over it.  he rants for 10 minutes about HP making shit decisions about the screw type and rags out the pc for lack of expansion with network or sound cards if the motherboard has issues totally ignoring the mini pcie slot on the motherboard.  If that's not bashing a company I don't know what is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes he does, in that HP review video that was posted  earlier he says that if he worked for HP he would call all the managers in and fire people over it.  he rants for 10 minutes about HP making shit decisions about the screw type and rags out the pc for lack of expansion with network or sound cards if the motherboard has issues totally ignoring the mini pcie slot on the motherboard.  If that's not bashing a company I don't know what is.

I think that highlights some of the debate in this thread. I am going out of my way to try and make sure I don't say anything that sounds like I am insulting the people I reply to, but its obvious that some people are trying to debate the issue without having all the facts. The skip to the time stamp, listen to the one sentence, and then try to debate the people who are taking a stance against Carey. Like you, I watched several of his videos last night, and his ego and attitude were the same in everyone of them. I still don't understand the purpose of making a 26 minute video just to tell his subs that he has a build video that he is working on.

He spends over 20 of those 26 minutes talking himself up and putting down other people and companies. He does the same thing in every other video of his that I watched. For his rant against HP he made 3 videos, totaling 4 hours in length, just to bash HP and to talk about how he would have done things better. Part 3 was really confusing. He titles the video as building a workstation, but he's building an office PC, not a work station. He goes on and on about how the parts he is using are the "best parts for the money" yet the make no sense for an office PC. What office PC needs an i5 and a 250GB SSD? It makes no sense to use an i5 in a work station either, and for a workstation it would need some type of large capacity HDD for file storage.

Having all of those facts is what my opinion is based on.

That was one product that he bashed on , it was basically a PSA on "you get what you paid for" , which is to some extent true , i don't think he has done this to any other HP products , but i am in no way saying that his words towards Linus were justified.

That was one product that he bashed on , it was basically a PSA on "you get what you paid for" , which is to some extent true , i don't think he has done this to any other HP products , but i am in no way saying that his words towards Linus were justified.

I really don't care what he said about Linus specifically, I am just pointing out that if we look at his videos in general we can see that this is his standard MO.  He is derogatory about people and products to make himself look better. It's a personality thing.

I think he's right IMHO, very fair points regardless.. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I think that highlights some of the debate in this thread. I am going out of my way to try and make sure I don't say anything that sounds like I am insulting the people I reply to, but its obvious that some people are trying to debate the issue without having all the facts. The skip to the time stamp, listen to the one sentence, and then try to debate the people who are taking a stance against Carey. Like you, I watched several of his videos last night, and his ego and attitude were the same in everyone of them. I still don't understand the purpose of making a 26 minute video just to tell his subs that he has a build video that he is working on.

He spends over 20 of those 26 minutes talking himself up and putting down other people and companies. He does the same thing in every other video of his that I watched. For his rant against HP he made 3 videos, totaling 4 hours in length, just to bash HP and to talk about how he would have done things better. Part 3 was really confusing. He titles the video as building a workstation, but he's building an office PC, not a work station. He goes on and on about how the parts he is using are the "best parts for the money" yet the make no sense for an office PC. What office PC needs an i5 and a 250GB SSD? It makes no sense to use an i5 in a work station either, and for a workstation it would need some type of large capacity HDD for file storage.

I stand by what I said earlier, last night when I read his comment section he had replied to many many people. Now those comments are gone.

also

On his facebook page since I am friends with him on it for a while now, he said he is still recording it the video. I wonder in the final version of the video if some of that stuff will be edited out. 

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

heh quirky guy. He looks like he needs some sleep. Not really the type of thing I'd normally wactch. Topic at hand, I basically think he's just wrong about the review/overview w/ LTT. I'd call them reviews, would have not started watching and kept watching if they were overviews. Obviously wrong about having experience too... *shrugs*

HardwareCanucks is a better resource for case reviews in my opinion

Correction - they're a better resource for ANY kind of review

imo of course, but I think many would agree

But he is. Linus doesn't get paid off to review products in a positive manner.

If he doesn't like a product he says he doesn't and he's said many times that he won't let other people give him money for him to say it's a good product when it isn't.

Although I agree that Linus isn't paid to give positive reviews, you can be sure that companies that send out review samples are well within their rights to ask that certain features of a product are not discussed. That being said, enough time has passed that if Linus wasn't honest with his audience, we would know by now and this thread would not exist.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Although I agree that Linus isn't paid to give positive reviews, you can be sure that companies that send out review samples are well within their rights to ask that certain features of a product are not discussed. That being said, enough time has passed that if Linus wasn't honest with his audience, we would know by now and this thread would not exist.

I challenge you to find a single product review video where Linus fails to cover a relevant feature, function or measure of performance for an item. The only reasons Carey gives for justifying why he will only use certain products is potential failure rate, for which he provides no numbers of any kind, and what he thinks is a good value price wise. Linus covers looks, build quality, component quality, price, features, ease of use, performance, and probably more things that I can't think of off the top of my head. He doesn't spend 90 minutes giving you his personal opinion on each of those things, and telling you why only his opinion matters, like Carey does. But he does cover all of those things.

There are also certain things that Linus doesn't go into detail about every single time because he knows he doesn't need give the same explanation every single time he does a video. Watch two videos about nearly any product with a screen, and you will learn real fast that Linus is very much against TN panels, with very few exceptions. But with Carey, he goes on and on about the exact same thing in every video he makes. Carey claims he can't get sponsors strictly because they don't like it when he speaks the truth. He then goes on to say that anyone with sponsors are lying to their viewers because he knows how the industry works and they can't possibly be allowed to tell the truth because their contracts don't let them. (FYI, he made those statements in the comments, but deleted them after being called out for it)

If Carey would spend less time talking about himself, and why he's the only person on youtube qualified to talk about technology, and why every company makes bad products except the companies he approves of, he may find that sponsors more willing to deal with him.

i think carey is trying to say that u should just not relie on 1 persons opinion and look at other peoples opinions to make your opinion. and when linus get paid by a company to do an overview on something they are not going to let linus say that there thing is shit and pay him for it.

also carey said that linus and newegg are good places to see what u r going to get out of some thing if u were to buy it.

Now when it comes to Linus he gets tech from companies and gives his review on them , never have i seen Linus give a full 10/10 on any product,he might recommend buying some of the products that he reviews but will not oversell it if it actually is bad , but if companies hand him tech that he thinks is bad he doesn't review them, or gives them a bad review and doesn't recommend them.So that does tell me that he is not biased completely to whom he gets his tech from , but rather does or does not recommend them .

Both Linus and Carey are right in what they do , but i do think that Carey shouldn't have said that Linus was a bad or biased reviewer, Carey was mislead about Linus and i do not think meant anything

His videos are really cheesy, the way he walks in at the start is cringeworthy.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Part 3 was really confusing. He titles the video as building a workstation, but he's building an office PC, not a work station. He goes on and on about how the parts he is using are the "best parts for the money" yet the make no sense for an office PC. What office PC needs an i5 and a 250GB SSD? It makes no sense to use an i5 in a work station either, and for a workstation it would need some type of large capacity HDD for file storage.

You can't say "these parts don't make sense" if you don't know what the intended use is. Workstation, office PC, what's the difference? I use a "workstation PC" at my work for AutoCAD, which could also be considered an "office PC" because it's used in an office. Usually for work place PC's you don't want large capacity local storage because employees shouldn't be storing data locally. They should be working from and storing it on the network where it can be backed up. So I don't know why you're saying "these parts don't make sense for an office PC" when you don't know what that PC is going to be used for.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler