*Unofficial* LinusTechTips Hardware Survey - August 2014

*Unofficial* LinusTechTips Hardware Survey - August 2014

sI5n4xs.png

Hello everyone
I thought of making a little survey to see what kind of hardware the LTT community is using. The survey is made with Forms in Google Docs and you can find the survey itself, summary & full responses in the links below. I'll probably make a cleaner looking summary later on, but for now the Google Docs summary will have to do.

I tried to make it good as I could do, but since this is still very much in beta alpha, problems will occur, stuff will be missing etc.

I hope people like the survey and find the data interesting, also feel free to ask questions and leave feedback.

Cheers
- Joonikko

46ewVp3.png N7vvWv9.png fxcSFJC.png

Improvement list

• add motherboard to the survey, oops  
  • fix socket & chipset list
  • add older hardware to the list
  • more storage options (250Gb etc.)
  • add option for multiple GPU's
  • add optiion for multiple drives
  • add Windows Server to the OS list
  • add Kentsfield & Wolfdale to architecture list
  • add Nvidia chipset
  • mobile socket S1 with an AMD 4200 mobile GPU
  • multimonitors & TV's
  • add more GPU's to the list (GT 630 etc.)

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Can you please add Nvidia chipsets? Some of us don't use Intel or AMD chipsets (hint hint: me) Also, put Kentsfield or Wolfdale for architecture. You put Core 2, but you didn't put the architectures.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Done!

Survey is comprehensive, good efford I'm sure there's a few holes that will get pointed out but for the most part well done.

why is there no windows server option in the os section.... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

How do you know socket of laptop cpu? :D
Btw, no M model GPUs. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

This is pretty incomplete for hardware older than 2011. I can't fill it out because you only go back to Sandy Bridge... I have a 2GHz C2D in my MacBook :(

EDIT- I may be able to work around this.

why cant i chose a mobile chipset... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Why list Socket F as one of the possible sockets to select but not list any of the accompanying chipsets?

The CPU architecture list is also hilariously short. Why's Duron listed as a possible CPU type when not a single other option allows one to select Duron compatible hardware?

I rate 2 out of 8. Could use some improvements.

Can you make it so that we can choose both AMD and Nvidia for our gpu? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21.5 inch displays, the storage needs more numbers because I have 250GB storage total and I couldnt put that in.

Also I need the x50W power supplies for my 750W

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Can you make it so that we can choose both AMD and Nvidia for our gpu? 

You're kidding me, right?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You're kidding me, right?

Nope. 560 Ti and 7950 because goshdarnitadobeyouandyourissues

0b609ddf5a71f3885a1a73993b2cb282.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nope. 560 Ti and 7950 because goshdarnitadobeyouandyourissues

0b609ddf5a71f3885a1a73993b2cb282.png

umm... I don't know what to say to that. No system conflicts?

umm... I don't know what to say to that. No system conflicts?

Not that I know of. 

Thank you for the survey, it's interesting to know what other people are running, however this is quite a lot to fill in, maybe you could do a simpler version just with the basics (with out getting into peripherals). Oh and maybe you could add motherboard manufactures.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

Not that I know of. 

Well, why didn't I think of this? Just let me go for a sec. *pairs GT610 with 290X*

Auch sollte auch Multimonitor.

and TV gamers cant do this survey either

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Can't fill it in with my laptop, as the majority of its stuff is missing as it's a mobile socket S1 with an AMD 4200 mobile GPU in it, along with 250GB HDD. In the display section, you should just have for manufacturers one that says inbuilt/laptop display as I don't know the OEM for the screen.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I have a gt630 but that is not an option.

Same. But I do have a 9400GT, just not in my system.

I couldn't answer some things since my setup is so old, but done.

i'm a potato

I've run into a brick wall for who my GPU manufacturer is, I have a GTX 590 and an HD 7770. I also have an 850 W psu, that will catch out a lot of people.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6