[WIP] Branwen: The raven rises

Thorium19

Kingston Hyper X? 

That's what I originally intended to get, but I'd quite like some yellow ram to go with the theme of the motherboard more. I might just have to go for hyperX unless the avexir blitz stuff becomes available for a similar price again.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

That's what I originally intended to get, but I'd quite like some yellow ram to go with the theme of the motherboard more. I might just have to go for hyperX unless the avexir blitz stuff becomes available for a similar price again.

Taking a look at the Avexir Golden Blitz RAM now. It seems to have LEDs? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Taking a look at the Avexir Golden Blitz RAM now. It seems to have LEDs? 

Yep. That's one of the attractions of it besides the speeds, as the way it pulsates isn't obtrusive like some can be *cough* ballistix tracer *cough* but it still will look good on an MPower board. Here's the OCUK link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-074-AR

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Yep. That's one of the attractions of it besides the speeds, as the way it pulsates isn't obtrusive like some can be *cough* ballistix tracer *cough* but it still will look good on an MPower board. Here's the OCUK link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-074-AR

It's only 1866 but this will go with the colour scheme. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-179-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1387

Or 2133. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-181-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1387

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

That is tempting I must say. I'll need to check on a few things but I might have a good pick to choose from.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

That is tempting I must say. I'll need to check on a few things but I might have a good pick to choose from.

Then I look through Scan and see that their selection is tiny. 

Then I look through Scan and see that their selection is tiny. 

They only do corsair if my memory serves me correctly, which is pretty useless as they only do black, blue, red and gold stuff.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

They only do corsair if my memory serves me correctly, which is pretty useless as they only do black, blue, red and gold stuff.

Black wouldn't be too bad, right? 

Black wouldn't be too bad, right? 

It would work fine, I just feel like having look a little louder without putting LED fans and an LED strip in it. Still, beggars can't be choosers.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

It would work fine, I just feel like having look a little louder without putting LED fans and an LED strip in it. Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Get a job, beggar. :P   

the big issue only takes on people with stable situations :P

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

the big issue only takes on people with stable situations :P

Get a stable then. :P 

stable-tack-room.jpg

Get a stable then. :P

-snip-

Neigh. Stop horsing about now or I'll give you the hoof.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Begging/convincing works.

I raised my chemistry test from a 83 to an 88 with a bit of arguing my case.

I solved the problem in a roundabout way, and made one mistake, answer off by a factor of 10.

My work was not clear.

I explained what I did, and, instead of all 4 points off, I only got one off, for the faulty ml to l conversion (stupid Americans don't even know metric system)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 2 weeks later...

l40x3AG.jpg

An update has landed!

To start off with, I've got to say thanks to them. Overclockers UK are bloody brilliant. Not only for having some outstanding B grade offers of which I took advantage of, but also for having a decent shipping rate, using royal mail, and for also providing a packet of haribo with my order. 10/10 would order from them again. This isn't an advertisement or sponsorship plug (although I won't say no to any of that) Just a statement of how good quality service they have.

Now back to the update, with lots of pictures up ahead. Mobile users beware!

Here we go with opening the box. Trusty penknife doing the deeds of course

2NbS9OI.jpg

And there's a decent amount of bagged air protecting the goodies inside

lHLHTMs.jpg

Here's the first look at what lurks inside

jJ62kcR.jpg

And what's this? a tasty jelly based treat to satisfy my appetite whilst installing the product? Very nice.

Z8QJPjA.jpg

And there she is! The Thing that's going to make my system keep quieter and cooler (than stock)

PHQ10Dd.jpg?1

rsAVRg3.jpg

And here's some technical specs for all you data hoarders out there

D0ZtplG.jpg?1

Opening it up we find a box on the top of the inside of the box. #boxception

hHGwH8F.jpg

Inside that box we find a fan. Very fancy indeed as well, with UV LEDs on it to make it light up

VPZuHxG.jpg

GiCyqA4.jpg

And this is it! some nice glamour shots (sort of) of the cooler shall now be shown

mCidGJt.jpg

BrMZuno.jpg

4UGH8hS.jpg

Gop7VpC.jpg

OvdH9Vo.jpg

XpaIqMw.jpg

gVoAJD4.jpg

And now some of the mounting hardware and other necessities are in another box at the bottom of the bigger box.

dCzkzgd.jpg

L43r2hQ.jpg

USzQYOK.jpg

So, there we go for another update of Branwen, featuring the Alpenfohn Brocken this time. Hopefully, the next one should come fairly swiftly. As in within the next month it should happen.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

An update has landed!

Oh, the puns

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Ooh that looks good, similar to my TPC 612

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Oh, the puns

Oh yeah, lots and lots of puns indeed. Most of them I just do naturally as well.

Ooh that looks good, similar to my TPC 612

I thought so when I opened it, although it doesn't have the vapour chambers in it, only 4 8mm heatpipes. I think it's because of that top plate and the indentations on it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh yeah, lots and lots of puns indeed. Most of them I just do naturally as well.

I thought so when I opened it, although it doesn't have the vapour chambers in it, only 4 8mm heatpipes. I think it's because of that top plate and the indentations on it.

Yeah, same top style

Yeah, same top style

Also, it's got an industrial design to it, which the TPC 612 has as well, if I'm right. So cutouts in the fins and so on.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, as this was a B-Grade item, it's either been a display item in the OCUK store or has been a returned item. My bet is that it's been returned. Mainly because two of the fins are slightly bent, but not broken or anywhere near breaking. There was already the remnants of thermal paste on the contact points and on the CPU holder, and one of the small boxes was opened in the wrong area, ripping it as well as the plastic window on the main box having a dent in it, as seen below. There's no sign on damage affecting performance and there are no parts missing so far as I can tell, so obviously whoever didn't want it never really used it.

GoDh9Y1.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, it's got an industrial design to it, which the TPC 612 has as well, if I'm right. So cutouts in the fins and so on.

Yeah.

If I didn't water cool, our builds may have looked very similar.

Especially if you had an Asus gpu

Yeah.

If I didn't water cool, our builds may have looked very similar.

Especially if you had an Asus gpu

I still might get one yet, I've not finalised my GPU choice, but I think an R9 280 will be what I get.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I still might get one yet, I've not finalised my GPU choice, but I think an R9 280 will be what I get.

Funny, my rig is probably more expensive, but worse performance

I was going to make a joke, but I am too lazy today. 

Looking forward to see the final product.