Kiraaaa

Speakers for Home Theater Setup

if it was me. i would go to a forum like

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/16-home-theater-gear-buysaletrade-classifieds/

and check out . buying real good used stuff.
lots of guys on the hometheaterforum. upgrade there systems a lot. and sell there old stuff.

thats were i got my first set of 5 ( Paradigm speakers ) for $300. they were like new.
----

note  what i run

i only run ( Paradigm speakers ) for 5.1 and above
and a velodyne f1500 for a  subwoofer

i ran Titans and Atoms for years then got
5 of the Paradigm  reference studio series

when i want to run 2 speakers .i have a set of
cerwin vega re-38 (  15"woofer-7.5"midrange-5"tweeter . 4 ohms  ).
for receivers. i use sunfire, carver and 1 sony

Posted · Original PosterOP

Are floor speakers usually just 2.0? -------> [ What do you mean by this? ]

I meant do people usually only get two of these and use them in a 2.0 or 2.1 setup since they are rather large. So I'm guessing most people who want to go 5.1 opt for smaller speakers, not huge floor speakers? Because in my case, I doubt I will be able to fit 5 speakers of that size

And also, what do you guys think about "sound bars"? Are they supposed to be bought and added to your current setup (say as a centre speaker)? Or are they meant to be used individually? Because I feel that if they're meant to be a sound system as itself, they wouldn't be able to produce good quality sound. It's like having a 1.0 setup instead of a 2.0 system? lol

1) I'm guessing most people who want to go 5.1 opt for smaller speakers, not huge floor speakers? Because in my case, I doubt I will be able to fit 5 speakers of that size

2) what do you guys think about "sound bars"? Are they supposed to be bought and added to your current setup (say as a centre speaker)? Or are they meant to be used individually?

1) Not always. This again is personal preference due to room size and budget, it depends how extreme you want to go. I would say the average home theater is 5.1 and consists of 2 tower speakers (or bookshelf) as front left/right, 1 center speaker, 2 bookshelf speakers as surround and 1 sub. This would be the traditional setup and is the way most home theaters are built. From there if you wanted 7.1 later you could buy another pair of bookshelf speakers and use them as rear channels.

In a non traditional 5.1/7.1 setup (new, within the last 5years) would be if you opted for front wide and/or front height instead of surround and/or rear speakers. These options are only available if your receiver is capable of listening modes such as Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo X and Dolby PL Z. Note, just because your receiver has one or all of these does not necessarily mean you can run any configuration you want, some receivers are limited to one or the other, you would have to consult your manual or find the specs on the manufacturers website.

What these modes do are drastically increase the front sound stage for a fully immerse theater experience, especially if you are using a full 11 channel system. At the lower stage (5.1/7.1) it gives you more options for awkward shaped rooms where placement may not be ideal as some people have difficulty placing rear or surround speakers in their home.

2) I do not know much about sound bars but my understanding is they act as a standalone replacement for traditional 5.1 to be used by itself. They produce sound in such a way as if it sounds like you have speakers all around you even though you only have the one up front. I have never heard one myself so I can't comment on sound quality or what effect it would have on the listening experience but I can only imagine it is a compromise solution much like HTiB. I would not recommend it, but I'm a theater guy so that's just me.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG || [CPU] i7 3770 @ 4.1 GHz - 1.14V || [Cooler] Zalman CNPS9900MAX || [Mobo] MSI Z77A-GD65 || [RAM] 16GB Hyper-X 1600 MHz

[GPU] Geforce GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB || [Sound] Asus Xonar DGX || [SSD] 2x 128GB Crucial M4 (Raid 0) || [HDD] 1TB Seagate || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] Dell U2715H @ 2560x1440 || [Mouse] Razer DeathAdder || [Keyboard] IBM Model M (modded) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Thermaltake Riing Plus RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Here since people didn't seem to want to answer your question, the pioneer SP-BS41-LR Speaker system about 500$. Then just pick up a used receiver, use the optical audio out from your computer or PS3. Personally though I would go with more expensive 2 channel setup rather than a cheap 5.1 channel system. Look on local audio forum IE Canuck Audiomart for great used stuff... Alot of the time $300 vintage speakers will sound as good as like 700$ new speakers. This might also help. http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides

Only $39. Interesting. But I'm not too familiar with capacitors other than the one time I had to replace the blown caps in my monitor. What kind of capacitors would I need to buy? Is there a certain kind I should look for?

Yea, I think I will most likely end up getting floor speakers because I rather one or two larger, better speakers than 5 small, weak, low quality ones. If not, I will end up getting some bookshelf speakers and elevate them using some stands. I think I will just start off with a pair first, and eventually buy more to get a surround setup. Still looking around and doing research though, as I'm not really in a rush to buy them, so I can wait for a good deal to pop up and have some time to learn more about speakers.

Thanks

Even with floorstanders you need subwoofer unless all you play is music but personaly i would go for decent subwoofer atleast, don't buy a cheap subwoofer.

Their good bookshelfs that can sound just as good and in some cases even better then avg towers.

I rather one or two larger, better speakers than 5 small, weak, low quality ones.

+1 Very good decision!

Since you are upgrading from little 2.0 pc speakers (was it?) any proper full sized speaker will be substantial improvement, even without a sub, although you will want one at some point. You are in Canada right? Is there a local Best Buy, Futureshop, or Visions near you? They all have a good return policy.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG || [CPU] i7 3770 @ 4.1 GHz - 1.14V || [Cooler] Zalman CNPS9900MAX || [Mobo] MSI Z77A-GD65 || [RAM] 16GB Hyper-X 1600 MHz

[GPU] Geforce GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB || [Sound] Asus Xonar DGX || [SSD] 2x 128GB Crucial M4 (Raid 0) || [HDD] 1TB Seagate || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] Dell U2715H @ 2560x1440 || [Mouse] Razer DeathAdder || [Keyboard] IBM Model M (modded) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Thermaltake Riing Plus RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Even with floorstanders you need subwoofer unless all you play is music but personaly i would go for decent subwoofer atleast, don't buy a cheap subwoofer.

Their good bookshelfs that can sound just as good and in some cases even better then avg towers.

Yea, I forgot to mention that but I do plan on getting a subwoofer too. Probably just one is enough for me though, I think having more than that would be overkill.

+1 Very good decision!

Since you are upgrading from little 2.0 pc speakers (was it?) any proper full sized speaker will be substantial improvement, even without a sub, although you will want one at some point. You are in Canada right? Is there a local Best Buy, Futureshop, or Visions near you? They all have a good return policy.

little 2.1 pc speakers, yes. Similar to the Logitech Z-4, or the Z-3 that you have, except even older lol. They're definitely loud enough and work fine, but I believe I can do much better in terms of sound quality. And yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said "I will most likely buy from a store here in Canada which has a great return policy." ;)

Thanks again

Yea, I forgot to mention that but I do plan on getting a subwoofer too. Probably just one is enough for me though, I think having more than that would be overkill.

little 2.1 pc speakers, yes. Similar to the Logitech Z-4, or the Z-3 that you have, except even older lol. They're definitely loud enough and work fine, but I believe I can do much better in terms of sound quality. And yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said "I will most likely buy from a store here in Canada which has a great return policy." ;)

Thanks again

Defiantly not if you buy 2 proper subwoofers they will sound better and smoother with less disortion then one.

Ofcourse 2 10 inch won't outperform a 12 inch.

same with 2 subs for 800€ vs 1 800€ sub its better to buy 2 800€ subs in that case.

Personaly i would go with svs sound for subwoofer if primarly watch movies even just one is very good 2 is just awesome.

If you plan to go 1 sub i personaly would save up as much possible and go for pb12 plus because it allows you to set different modes sealed 20 hz and 16 hz mode