Required PSU Wattage for R9 290

So, I decided. I'm buying an R9 290 Tri-x from Sapphire.

But, I'm worried my Corsair 600W 80+ is not going to be enough...

I have 1 HDD, 1 DVD/RW ROM, Core i5 3330 , 2 DDR3 RAM sticks and 4 fans.

So, I checked how much power my rig will need with Cooler Master's PSU Calculator and MSI's PSU Calculator.

CoolerMater's PSU Calculator: 463W

MSI's PSU Calcuator: 357W

WTF?  That's a 100W difference.

I know this is just an esimate but still!

I also checked on Sapphire's website. According to them, I need a 750W PSU!!!

Let's assume this "750W PSU" is only 80+ certified. 80% * 750W = 600W

Every comment is appriciated, but I'd like to get an oppinion from someone who know's what he's talking about.

Can my PSU power my rig? Even when I'm running both CPU and GPU at full load? Will it be stable?

I don't to destroy my PC.

So, I decided. I'm buying an R9 290 Tri-x from Sapphire.

But, I'm worried my Corsair 600W 80+ is not going to be enough...

I have 1 HDD, 1 DVD/RW ROM, Core i5 3330 , 2 DDR3 RAM sticks and 4 fans.

So, I checked how much power my rig will need with Cooler Master's PSU Calculator and MSI's PSU Calculator.

CoolerMater's PSU Calculator: 463W

MSI's PSU Calcuator: 357W

WTF?  That's a 100W difference.

I know this is just an esimate but still!

I also checked on Sapphire's website. According to them, I need a 750W PSU!!!

Let's assume this "750W PSU" is only 80+ certified. 80% * 750W = 600W

Every comment is appriciated, but I'd like to get an oppinion from someone who know's what he's talking about.

Can my PSU power my rig? Even when I'm running both CPU and GPU at full load? Will it be stable?

650 is actually recommended but a good 600w should do it I guess :)

ZEUS

CPUi7 4770K - 4.4Ghz CoolerNoctua NH-D14 MB: Maximus VI Hero RAM4 x 4GB Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz GPUWindforce 780ti Case: Corsair C70 Storage: 3 x 128GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID 0 , 2 x 1TB Barracuda PSU860W AX860i Displays: Asus VG248QE 144Hz , Asus VE247H 60Hz KeyboardRazer Blackwidow 2013 MouseRazer Deathadder SoundSennheiser HD 558 Mic: Blue Snowball

"If I'm not quoted I probably won't reply back to you."

You could upgrade to a 290 in your current rig, you could run your setup with 550W

You're doing your math wrong.

Its 750 / .8 = 937.5W that it will take from the wall

you still get 750W through to your system

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

arrow_right.pngSystem Requirements

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
  • 1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
  • 4096MBMinimum of system memory.
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
  • DVD playback requires DVD drive.
  • Blu-ray™ / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive.
  • 750 Watt Power Supply is required.
  • 1X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
  • 64-bit operating system highly recommended
  • A display with digital input (HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI) is required

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says I need a 750W PSU, not that my machine will need 750W.....at least I think.

Here's the link:   http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2091&psn=000101#

I got a old Corsair VX550W, and that runs it just fine :)

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Yes it will run just fine unless you get like a vapor-x. I guess it will run but that shit drains like 420-430W's at load

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Your PSU is fine. Even a good 500W PSU would do. If you were to crossfire then a 750W would be necessary, but they say you need that just in case you're using a bad PSU to cover their own ass.

Noooooo dont use anything under a 750w psu for the r9 290.... If u have 2 cards need min 850w. This card will melt anything under 700 w

You could upgrade to a 290 in your current rig, you could run your setup with 550W[/quote

Are u hi?

You could upgrade to a 290 in your current rig, you could run your setup with 550W[/quote

Are u hi?

r u?

you psu is enough. I have my pc plugged through a watt meter, with the lcd screen in front of me showing real time watts pulled from the wall. I have an old 750 watt 80+ psu. with an i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz and r9 290 @ 1080Mhz, 9 case fans, 120mm cpu fans etc... I have never seen power being pulled from the wall exceed 500watts, although I'm sure with separate cpu and gpu torture tests running at once it might go past that. my psu has 85% efficiency at that load, so really under heavy use I doubt my system would pull over 450 watts from the psu itself under absolute highest load.

point being, I think you're safe if your psu is decent quality.

EDIT: also keep in mind that if you are pulling 600 watts from a psu and its 80% efficient at that load, you are pulling 750 watts from the wall. if your power supply was 50% efficient at 600 watt load, you would be pulling 1200watts from the wall. also, ignore advice from anyone telling you yes or no without backing it up with personal experience and proof, they're just trolling.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

r u?[/quote

Lol i want what your on if u think a 550 can power a 290 bad advice cost money nig. His psu would die with in a few weeks

r u?[/quote

Lol i want what your on if u think a 550 can power a 290 bad advice cost money nig. His psu would die with in a few weeks

don't buy a shitty PSU and it will be fine. I am talking a decent 550W not some off brand oem junk

m8, it's a locked i5 and a 290, there isn't a LHC strapped to the side of it.

500w is fine if you don't buy some generic shit PSU

Error: 410

I wouldnt they had to resticker alot of their boxes they say 750 for a reason.... Lol

I wouldnt they had to resticker alot of their boxes they say 750 for a reason.... Lol

...and why do you think that is?

let's have a session of critical thinking.

let's not even bring science into this, because we honestly don't need it here.

This site lol ... First go to any real tech site and see this question been asked 10000 times i have already seen this card melt a 650 and no one with a brain will tell u to run 200 watt less then the reconmended..

What in the hell is even going on here?

For a non-overclocked system, a quality 550W is recommended at minimum

For an overclocked system, a quality 650W

If you want to add a second 290 down the road, add 200W

"Rawr XD"

This site lol ... First go to any real tech site and see this question been asked 10000 times i have already seen this card melt a 650 and no one with a brain will tell u to run 200 watt less then the reconmended..

Dude, you realize they give you that recommended number because they're literally trying desperately to cover their asses from having to RMA a fried card when that one kid down the block plugs his GPU into this

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CI3Y9PvqgsACFShp7AodYBIAGQ&Item=N82E16817152052&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817152052&ef_id=U@RSqQAABBSzIw1F:20140808043157:s

500+ quality is the requirement.

Any load will melt a 650w "rated" piece of shit, because it was terrible quality.

@TinoXtreme 

The CX600 wouldn't be a PSU that I would buy, but it will run a 290 in your rig no prob.

I have a question tho,

I asked many people (not on this forum, and I recieved a lot of different answers)

So my PSU is CX from Corsair 600W

Does that mean it's gonna pull 600W from the wall and then shove 80% of that into my rig or that it's gonna shove 600W into my rig and pull 750W from the wall?

@daemonowner

he will explain to you the CX600

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I have a question tho,

I asked many people (not on this forum, and I recieved a lot of different answers)

So my PSU is CX from Corsair 600W

Does that mean it's gonna pull 600W from the wall and then shove 80% of that into my rig or that it's gonna shove 600W into my rig and pull 750W from the wall?

It can provide 600W total to the system, and it will pull a theoretical ~750W from the wall as converting AC (from wall) into DC(for the pc) is 80% efficient.

The CX600 will run a 290 absolutely fine.

CX600 has 46 amps on the (single) 12V rail (552w).

Here is a system TOTAL load (so everything running), an R9 290 and an overclocked 3570K (4.2).

5gUtHDl.png

418W.

So the guy on the last page is using results from people using crap £15 850W PSUs.

"PSU manufacturers have played on the fact that bigger is better when talking about PSUs. But the truth is that a modern mainstream PSU has enough clout to power a high-end build, and there's little reason to look past 600W unless you really are running heavily-overclocked systems with multiple graphics cards."

src: hexus