NAS questions

Fgtfv567

If I plug in a HDD to a router, use NAS4FREE, or buy something like a mycloud, which options would let me access my data from anywhere (even while I'm mad far away from those aforementioned items)?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

WD MyCloud has an option to enable "cloud access" and is fairly cheap

but the overall best option in my opinion is using an old computer or build a computer that uses freeNAS / linux

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

WD MyCloud has an option to enable "cloud access" and is fairly cheap

but the overall best option in my opinion is using an old computer or build a computer that uses freeNAS / linux

That's great but unfortunately that doesn't solve my question, I need to access my data when I'm away from home

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Using Filezilla over SSH is probably the easiest and most secure way of transferring files.

SSH? Never heard of that before

That's great but unfortunately that doesn't solve my question, I need to access my data when I'm away from home

cloud access means you can get the files over the internet, which is what you want

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

If I plug in a HDD to a router, use NAS4FREE, or buy something like a mycloud, which options would let me access my data from anywhere (even while I'm mad far away from those aforementioned items)?

If you are plugging a HDD into a router, some routers with filesharing already have FTP built in - so check that.

Othwerwise. If you are wanting it for Music/Videos/Pictures, Plex is amazing if you have an extra PC.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

SSH? Never heard of that before

SSH is a communication protocol, a secure one at that, you will need to verify its enabled.

You will need to add at least one user account on the NAS4FREE system then you can use any ssh app to login but will need a scp app, I'd recommend CyberDuck since its more of a GUI  app but if you're into command line get the full version of Putty, both are freeware or shareware.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.