There HAS to be a Motherboard buying guide!

How come there is one for mostly everything but motherboards? I'd write it but I honestly don't know anything about what makes one better than the other (which is why I ask)

PM Linus, ask him if he will do it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mostly because it's all about what features you want or need in your build. Just compare the functionality between mobo's and purchase what falls in those requirements.

Basically, your guide should be:

1. What CPU socket / chipset is needed for my CPU
  2. How many PCIe lanes you need
  3. The rest usually up to you, these includes things such as color schemes and any extra bells and whistles, ala internal WiFi (for example).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Close your eyes, spin around and choose whatever is in front of you. 

Unless you are doing some extreme LN2 overclocking; the only thing that should concern yourself is form factor (ATX, mATX, ITX. etc) and chipset.

Get the latest chipset for your CPU and call it a day. At this point it's  a matter of "ohhh jeez I really like the colour of this one instead, hurrr. duurrr"

Basically, your guide should be:

• What CPU socket / chipset is needed for my CPU
  • How many PCIe lanes you need
  • The rest usually up to you, these includes things such as color schemes and any extra bells and whistles, ala internal WiFi (for example).

WWhat's the difference between a $80 and $300 Motherboard then?

One cost $80 and the other cost $300 :P 

1. PCIE lanes
  2. Power Delivery
  3. Numbers of sata/usb ports
  4. advanced overclocking features
  5. error readout
  6. onboard bluetooth wifi
  7. M.2 support
  8. Component Quality

I could go on but I think you'll get the point.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

People these days worry too much on mobo, ram, cases...pick a quality manufacturer, pick one that has the features you need, pick one that has the look you want and you are done..I myself think about warranties also..but thats me. 

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Linus has done a video showing that price difference between boards gives a negligible performance difference.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

People these days worry too much on mobo, ram, cases...pick a quality manufacturer, pick one that has the features you need, pick one that has the look you want and you are done..I myself think about warranties also..but thats me.

Everytime I do that people tell me my choice is too expensive or overkill

It really depends on what your doing with it. If your trying to get an extreme OC a high end mobo can help you get a few more Percent out of your components.

Otherwise your just looking:

1. The right number of PCI E lanes (for SLI/Crossfire)
  2. The right cpu socket
  3. storage Interface (Type and Number of)
  4. Correct form factor (EATX or ITX etc.)
  5. Good brand or warranty support in your area.
  6. Correct amount of expansion for what you do or may want to add in.
System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

• PCIE lanes
  • Power Delivery
  • Numbers of sata/usb ports
  • advanced overclocking features
  • error readout
  • onboard bluetooth wifi
  • M.2 support
  • Component Quality
I could go on but I think you'll get the point.
What's M.2?

Hey, we'd like a motherboard buyers guide  :)  @LinusTech

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

What's M.2?

It is a type of storage connection it can be sata express based or PCIE direct storage and it fits in a very small package.

Everytime I do that people tell me my choice is too expensive or overkill

Expensive to one, is not mean it is expensive to another person.

IMO, a lot of overkill parts do look damn cool. and looks play a part in a lot of builds thanks to windows.

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Its quite simple. If you overclock you buy a Z97 motherboard, if you don't you buy a H97 one.....And the rest is just cheapest and which one is the prettiest of the them all.

Seriously. Unless you have very specific needs, you will be covered.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

There's just too much variation between boards, brands and each users needs. @LinusTech has covered somethings already like sockets and chipsets. And also is there difference between low end board and high end board in terms of overclocking.

Basic rules is that you think what you want, post the list here and we find nice board for you. The more board costs, more features you get.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check Linus' video on gaming motherboards.

Just get latest chipset on the socket you want. e.g. z97 and lga1150.

Unless you're an avid overclocker or need all the PCIe under the sun there isn't really much to differentiate boards.