What Modern UI should've been

Would i seem like a Linux fanboy of i just posten a screenshot of gnome?

Probably, Do it anyways :D. I really like Gnome. Gnome 3 is a GUI masterpiece. Very efficient and pretty.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

No, first of all moving the start menu to the top serves no purpose and I'm sure apple would go crazy about having the menu be up there. Secondly, I don't went Metro to replace my desktop background. Modern UI is fine for it's purpose the main problem with it is that you have to have a touchscreen to really take advantage of it. For touch devices the traditional start menu is an equally awful experience.

you can alread do that though with 7 and 8

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So I guess we don't need a desktop then?

I think having two start menus is pretty redundant too.

I can honestly say I like nothing about modern UI  It just looks clunky to me.  I do not want those giant icons all over my desktop.  I like having small icons arranged in certain sections the way windows has been.  I like the freedom to basically set my desktop up the way I want it.  

Just use Gnome

What Microsoft should have done is included a preference menu where you can switch between the start menu and the Modern UI. Or used Gnome for Windows (Not happening i know)

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I can honestly say I like nothing about modern UI  It just looks clunky to me.  I do not want those giant icons all over my desktop.  I like having small icons arranged in certain sections the way windows has been.  I like the freedom to basically set my desktop up the way I want it.  

I agree with you on the small Icons thing, I think you should be able to resize tiles much smaller, However I like the Idea that tiles are able to display live information. 

I would also like to be able to group tiles in blocks or horizontally as well as vertically (the way they have to be done now)

If it were done with these things changed, do you think Modern UI would be a viable replacement for a desktop environment or do you think that it has no potential.

I still don't understand the charms, and the fact they removed the start menu all together. :S

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

This is basically how I have my windows 7 set-up like (with the icons in sections on the screen, for games, media and other programs.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

This is basically how I have my windows 7 set-up like (with the icons in sections on the screen, for games, media and other programs.

Also very similar to my windows 7, I use the Fences Program to organize my Icons.

I really don't get the no background thing for Modern UI.

Spoiler

I agree with you on the small Icons thing, I think you should be able to resize tiles much smaller, However I like the Idea that tiles are able to display live information. 

I would also like to be able to group tiles in blocks or horizontally as well as vertically (the way they have to be done now)

If it were done with these things changed, do you think Modern UI would be a viable replacement for a desktop environment or do you think that it has no potential.

I still don't understand the charms, and the fact they removed the start menu all together. :S

The lack of start (real start) is a 100% killer for me.  I will absolute not give MSFT my 90 bucks for windows 8 until I get start,  and real start.  No I will not give MSFT 90 bucks and then go download a 3rd party app to get a proper start.  

I will not give MSFT 90 bucks for those stupid tiles.  I simply will not do it.  I think the suggestions you mentioned are fine.  I could even live with that if I could determine 100% which tiles were on the screen and 100% where they were on the screen like I can with desktop icons I could live with that (if the tiles were small like my icons).  

Unless MSFT gives me those 2 things natively they will never get money from me on windows 8.  I am good enough that for the clients I have with windows 8 I can maneuver around their system without having it at home to get used to it.  This is just me though.  I do not compromise with these things.  Give me what I want in your product or you simply will not get my money,  period.  I went from XP pro 64bit to windows 7.  I refused to buy Vista.  Unless MSFT gives me those things I want I refuse to buy windows 8.  I will be more than happy to go from windows 7 to the eventual takeover of Android or if I am wrong about android taking over the desktop in the next 5 or so years I will simply switch to running linux full time with one of the distros.  That is how much I dislike the direction MSFT went with windows 8.  I will stick with windows 7 until I cant and then I will move to Linux via android or a standard distro.  

Also very similar to my windows 7, I use the Fences Program to organize my Icons.

I really don't get the no background thing for Modern UI.

O_O

That....looks....AWESOME, I must have it.

I do it all manually :c but this looks so much better.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The lack of start (real start) is a 100% killer for me.  I will absolute not give MSFT my 90 bucks for windows 8 until I get start,  and real start.  No I will not give MSFT 90 bucks and then go download a 3rd party app to get a proper start.  

I will not give MSFT 90 bucks for those stupid tiles.  I simply will not do it.  I think the suggestions you mentioned are fine.  I could even live with that if I could determine 100% which tiles were on the screen and 100% where they were on the screen like I can with desktop icons I could live with that (if the tiles were small like my icons).  

Unless MSFT gives me those 2 things natively they will never get money from me on windows 8.  I am good enough that for the clients I have with windows 8 I can maneuver around their system without having it at home to get used to it.  This is just me though.  I do not compromise with these things.  Give me what I want in your product or you simply will not get my money,  period.  I went from XP pro 64bit to windows 7.  I refused to buy Vista.  Unless MSFT gives me those things I want I refuse to buy windows 8.  I will be more than happy to go from windows 7 to the eventual takeover of Android or if I am wrong about android taking over the desktop in the next 5 or so years I will simply switch to running linux full time with one of the distros.  That is how much I dislike the direction MSFT went with windows 8.  I will stick with windows 7 until I cant and then I will move to Linux via android or a standard distro.  

I glad to see that there are still people who will stick up for what they believe in. its something that I see less of these days :)

The only sad thing is, is that you will miss out on the numerous advantages to windows 8 because you don't like modern UI, fair enough it just sucks that they won't be bought to windows 7.

As for the money, I installed the Dev Preview of 8 over my windows XP install, then moved to RC then I got a full Promo Copy from MS and moved to that, It took me near on a year of windows 8 use along side my windows 7 partition before I got to the point where I was happy to use it as my primary OS. If I had to pay for it I probably would still be using Windows 7.

The thing I never got about Vista; The OS itself wasn't all that bad. The Issues from my experience were due to x86_64 having really poor compatibility (Vista was the first big step into 64 bit for windows, it was there for windows XP but was more of a niche) and the fact that People moved from computers that were more than capable of running XP Upgrading to Vista and it Really should never had run Vista. Vista Got a really bad name from these 2 Issues. Most problems that I saw people have with vista were down to one of these problems. The difference between 7 and Vista are almost all just UI tweaks. 

What would've been nice would have been to install the interface of the Users choosing. Classic Desktop style (for desktops and Laptops), Modern UI (for Tablets and touch screen laptops or all in Ones). 

Would you change anything on a classic style windows desktop?

Spoiler

I glad to see that there are still people who will stick up for what they believe in. its something that I see less of these days :)

The only sad thing is, is that you will miss out on the numerous advantages to windows 8 because you don't like modern UI, fair enough it just sucks that they won't be bought to windows 7.

As for the money, I installed the Dev Preview of 8 over my windows XP install, then moved to RC then I got a full Promo Copy from MS and moved to that, It took me near on a year of windows 8 use along side my windows 7 partition before I got to the point where I was happy to use it as my primary OS. If I had to pay for it I probably would still be using Windows 7.

The thing I never got about Vista; The OS itself wasn't all that bad. The Issues from my experience were due to x86_64 having really poor compatibility (Vista was the first big step into 64 bit for windows, it was there for windows XP but was more of a niche) and the fact that People moved from computers that were more than capable of running XP Upgrading to Vista and it Really should never had run Vista. Vista Got a really bad name from these 2 Issues. Most problems that I saw people have with vista were down to one of these problems. The difference between 7 and Vista are almost all just UI tweaks. 

What would've been nice would have been to install the interface of the Users choosing. Classic Desktop style (for desktops and Laptops), Modern UI (for Tablets and touch screen laptops or all in Ones). 

Would you change anything on a classic style windows desktop?

I pretty much agree with you,.  

Would I change anything in the classic desktop?  

Well I am old.  I would put the actual old pre XP control panel back lol.  I tell you 12 years later I am still more comfortable  on a NT4 or 2k box lol.  

mybeat, on 24 May 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Nothing really.

Think of UI as a hammer, it's used to hammer down nails and it's a tool to do the job.

It doesn't need to changed every few years just because someone wanted it to change nor it's required to preform the job.

While some might object to this saying: "But, but, it's now better", actually it's not.

This especially concern businesses and people who use PC as tool to get the job done. Think of all the cost associated with staff retraining and so on.

On a side note, I still remember when we had to roll-out Vista for a factory where I've used to work. This was a nightmare for IT as we got tons of calls and factory productivity noticeably dropped for the duration of 1 month.

Also:

* Interface 101, less clicks the better, © Jahtzee.

* Less mouse movement the better © can't remember who.

Exactly this

I understand why Microsoft went for a different UI though. Every now and then they practically have to change it in order to stay ''new and trendy''

However I also think that a new UI MUST incorporate better usability (less clicks, more overview etc), and that's exactly what NOT happened with ModernUI

MS just tries soo badly to be trendy, while for me Windows 8 looks like Fisher Price OS. Completely unacceptable

And yes, I've tried it for more than a month and I hate it.

I like the idea of the 'Metro' Being on my desktop wallpaper... that would be pretty chill actually :3

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

other than giving you the desktop option at the bottom, I don't see what this benefits. 

Gives you quick access to all the stuff yo'll need ... so you dont need a start button ...

No way but ability to drag some of tiles to desktop like weather would be fucking awesome :D

While keeping the current metro ofcourse.

I think those are called desktop gadgets, from Vista/7. :P

You can always use Rainmeter and the Omnimo skin if you really do want this though!

• 1 month later...

Woah, Kinda Freaky. Its kinda like microsoft was sort of listening to you,

They've done small Icons with 8.1, Able to change the background image,

You get a start button, Though not quite a start menu. Just the same right click menu as 8 has... But, THEY'VE ADDED SHUT DOWN TO IT....

May not please you but they seem to be addressing what people actually want.

Maybe 8.2 will have a start menu xD

Spoiler