amp for k712 pro advice

Hello,

I was looking for a headphone setup good enough to actually produce music on it (yea I know, but I'm not 12).

So in a hurry without much reading I went out and bought used HD 650s instead of HD 600s because: said to have better and deeper bass. Great headphones, that's for certain. But quite a fair bit too bass-heavy, too much veiled and like the HD 600 said to be too "polite" soundling for finding and fixing errors in recordings (I even got the ones with the old drivers). The best headphones are useless if your mixes translate to shit on other speakers/sound systems. For audio interface though, I got a Steinberg UR22. Finally propper ASIO, yay!

Now I've read quite a bit around and plan on getting some AKG 712 pro because they are said to be good for mixing/mastering purposes but also have a good lower region unlike the other AKG headphones (esp. k701).

The headphone amp on the UR22 is said to be quite shit so I plan on using line out to a propper headphone amp. Will the Objective 2 be a good choice to go with the k712 as are fairly low impedance headphones?

To make it clear, I don't want an extermal Headphone amp for loud volumes as I rather like to listen at fairly low volumes. I'm more concerned with the actuall precision and detail of the sound. I want to be able to analyze, in the end.

It should be obvious that I can not tollerate anything but a "black" backgrund with no noise whatsoever comming from the amp.

So my question: will the k712 + O2 combo suit my needs or do you have any better ideas?

Your help is greatly appreciated! .D

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

If you haven't sold the HD650 yet, then check what color the drivers are. Because if you have the slightly older model (and the drivers are not white), then you might be able to get better details with a very simple mod you can do to them. I had a pair once and did the "APureSound" mod to them and it made them a lot less veiled.

First off, thank you for your response. And yes, I have the old version. Around the driver the material is black, not white like on the new ones. The problem with it being polite though will most likely remain after the mod so I still want to sell it.
So all in all this was rather about the question "Will the O2 suffice the k712 for my purposes? If not so then what will at this kind of a low budget? (for the amp up to 300$ max.)" But thanks levertheless, it's some good info!

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

O2 is overkill for almost every single headphone that exists. The question typically isn't "Is o2 enough?" but rather "Is o2 overkill and should I got for an even cheaper amp?"

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

An O2 would absolutely meet your requirements. If you're doing this professionally you might as well spring for the O2+ODAC combo because why not. Of course, the much cheaper Fiio E10K or Monoprice desktop headphone amplifier would probably be adequate as well.

Okay, if you say so, then I will get an O2 and drive it from the assymetrical line out my UR22 (because of ASIO, I need it and asio4all is definetely NOT good).

Thank you then!

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

I know but currently I have to as I can't treat my room and headphones that sound good can be had for much cheaper. I have the speakers to check but I can't produce on them. Also kind of a neighbor-thing.

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

yea without proper room treatment it is pointless, but it is damn expensive. dropped almost 400€ for the auralex wedges and bass traps O.o - which is still not that much, but it is only a tiny homestudio so whatever and I am happy with the effect I got.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I know but currently I have to as I can't treat my room and headphones that sound good can be had for much cheaper. I have the speakers to check but I can't produce on them. Also kind of a neighbor-thing.

Cool, as long as you know. I always feel the urge to let people know when they ask questions like these. :)