Should Linus' tech tips be the gold standard?

Do you think that Linus is the best overall source for tech information?

By this I mean, if you asked a question on the forum, and Linus directly answered you, would that be the end-all of answers for you?

Would you listen to Linus, and follow his advice?

How much clout does Linus have on his own (awesome) forum?

Just how good are Linus' tech tips?

Keep in mind that I think Linus is great and would happily accept his advice on just about any tech issue.

( the exception being matters of taste, e.g. the color scheme of a rig etc.)

So let's hear what the community thinks:

Should Linus' tips be the gold-standard of technology advice?

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

When I was building my PC I ended up with following a lot of advice coming from Linus and one major Swedish site mainly due to the quality of the videos and his personality.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

I don't take any one person and their benchmarks or recommendations as a golden standard. I try to average out all the results to make the best decision for myself. 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Though i am a big fan of linus and slick and always allow their advice to weigh into my tech related choices i do consider friends family and other review sites as well to make sure its right for my use rather then just getting it cause its good lol

I personally wouldn't. I look at linus as a person who can get details out quick and is more or less a quick overview kind of guy and I go to TTL overclock3d for someone who is going to go super in depth over things that I care about. 

I think he is my favorite, go to tech guy on Youtube. I definitely do take his advice, and learned a lot of what I know from his Youtube channel, but he is not the end-all-be-all for me. I like to research, and try to take in as much information as I can, so I can make an informed decision. 

I absolutely agree with you calarahil.

TTL is my go-to source for the deep details and feature length reviews.

I like Linus for his personality and vast amount of content (especially the live stream) but

I certainly check out any tech question of mine from several angles before I decide anything.

No one should be held on a pedestal linus gives great advice but that doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to others.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Absolutely not, you need multiple sources to be sure of your content's credibility

This is why I have to ask....

Where the hell are Slick's Picks and Linus's Finest???

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This is why I have to ask....

Where the hell are Slick's Picks and Linus's Finest???

Yeah, they really need to get on that. 

I think it's great that most everyone shares my view that you ought to thoroughly seek out multiple sources for any tech question,

but honestly I must add that I expected a few more Linus Loyalists and Forum Fanatics to pop up with Linus-or-death comments.

Certainly sets this forum apart from many others I've seen.

for some its a 1 stop shop. but to me linus offers an opinion and thats all that it is. its up to us if we agree or not.

he suffers the same as us all with tech overload and can get it wrong (like saying a razer keyboard is a good keyboard when in reality you compare it to actual good mechanical keyboard it leaves a lot to be desired). so no i dont take his word as gospel but his opinions are worth giving time to even if you dont agree.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Well, when it comes to performance testing, his results mirrior what everyone else gets so meh.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Linus is awesome but you can't always as others have said get your information all at once place. I will give linus and slick credit they turned me onto mechanical keyboards and I love mine long time. 

I'd say there's different standards. Linus has by far the best production quality of any of the youtube guys right now, I mean just go watch the Intel sponsored system build. I've never seen that from a youtube reviewer before. As far as getting information across quickly, he's also near the top if not at the top. Entertainment value as well, the livestreams are something I look forward to every weekend (though to be far a lot of the other guys don't have something to compare it to. TTL doesn't do a live stream, and Logan doesn't either.) For detail I'd say that's Tiny Tom Logan, who else can do a 2 hour long case review that you actually watch the whole thing? I'm not a fan of Elric or Paul but they get honorable mentions. Overall it's between Linus and TTL for my favorite but even TTL admitted that no one can touch Linus as far as popularity and production go. 

Well TTL is starting to get into live streams he has 2 that are currently up he's testing out the water. I just look at things like benchmarks and its like this with linus okay here are the runs we did a "reasonable overclock" (which with TTL I appreciate the silicon lottery being brought up) no real breaking down of anything other than how to duplicate their benchmark and then you watch a TTL video and hes like okay here are the results on this overclock goes through a stress test here are the results at this point and so on. So I guess in terms of detail I would side with TTL. Sometimes I want an impression of something which is why I go to linus's videos and sometimes the OCD in me kicks in and I want a proper review mate :)

However, you are right the production value and entertainment would have to be given an edge to linus and slick. And I agree Paul and Elric are really great guys and before them 3dgameman. 

I am a fan of Linus but not a fanboy, i do not agree on some the stuff he says like (EA/Gaming,sponsorship) and his unboxings aren't that great source of information because he can't say "Don't buy this product its bad" but you get an overview of it but the best parts i like about his channel is the benchmarks and his guides. But on the other end i would rather agree more on Tek Syndicate's opinions about the industry.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Probably? I learnt 90% of what I know about hardware from NCIX techtips and Linus Techtips.

Linus is an unboxer. he's not a messiah, he takes stuff out of boxes and talks about it on youtube. I weigh reviews and first hand opinions above any "first looks" of products. 

Diamond standard. Platinum standard. Gold is too weak.

BLAOW!!!!

Noone should be considered "Gold standard". If you actually just feed upon one oppinion you are a very weak mind.

For example: I'm looking for a new case,I check if TTL, Linus and Logan have coverage of it.

I get an insight into the case, maybe find features that were hard to see in a pic or in the manufacturers description. I now do have a basic idea of what this case can and can't do [like TTL actually bringing out the rules to check for rad spaces and so on].

But does that make it the best case for you?

If you want reviewsof products that are not as mainstream aa ASUS and Corsair, you will have to check Logan and Google, read up on forums and so on.

If you blindly buy what someone told you to buy, get a Mac.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I love their videos, but there is one thing I always disagree with when they are benchmarking video cards and CPUs.

Why in the hell do they overclock? Overclocking just skews the results, I want stock clock vs. stock clock performance. I want to know what my price to performance ratio is, whenever I see overclocks I don't even consider the benchmarks as they have no meaning to me. You can overclock a GTX 780 to it's fullest potential and then overclock the Titan only a little bit and the benchmarks will be completely different.

Sorry Linus/Slick/Diesel/B-Roll but I already know I'll be overclocking whatever CPU/GPU I get and so will everyone else, but that doesn't mean you have to overclock for testing, it just makes it harder for me(and I assume everyone else) to justify a purchase because we don't know the true price:performance.

Linus may get me interested in a product, but I use forums and more in depth reviews to get most of my information.

He still provides a lot of good info and handy tips on the product as well.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review