I like these 'ghetto' videos more than his proffesionally done videos.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

Linus is really getting into the DIY spirit with the painting and modding videos.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

@LinusTech

95 C under load??? I have a Gigabyte GTX 660 ti and I get similar temperatures as you had at idle but my load is NOWHERE near that. Maybe 70 C Max load, Did you try changing the thermal compound on the GPU? Maybe that will help lower temps by quite a bit.

I have the the stuff to do this same project sitting next to my entertainment center as we speak.  I decided to go with just one intake fan for the time being with the option to expand up to 4 later on.  I also am using an independent and thermal driven controller.  And I am using a Noctua Fan.  

Controller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085EHCDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fan:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRATC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Planning on putting the fan as an intake on the side near the front for the time being.

I will post pictures when I am done, and I will report back on noise levels and how often the fan kicks on.  I am using the RVZ-01 case so if I add fans later on it will probably be an intake in the floor of the entertainment center.

@LinusTech

I enjoy videos like this more than anything and one of the main reason I subscribed to LTT's channel in the first place was because of the personal projects like your main rig and storage setups.

I like how the reviews and overviews looks more professional now, but it's really nice to see these vlogs from time to time.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

I woulf use your way but it's much more risky

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

If you can remove the bottom of the case so the two fans you installed into the tv stand blow up into the video cards that would probably help a ton. Like a ghetto SilverStone Raven RV01  :P 

Also you might want to look at a 750ti for that computer much lower power and heat generation. I have a computer with not much more space between the bottom of the case and the video card and it does not break 55c full load. Granted it is not stuck in a tv stand.

i'm glad my tv stand is open and black glass. my lian li case has much better airflow than linus's case. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

That PS2 though

wtzotHu.png

Wife's idea is more ghetto, your idea is more professional but also more time consuming.

No poll?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Would like more videos like this.  Also think the wife's solution to the wires is better, seems like less work and no cutting hole in the case.

I'm going with your wife on this. Both ideas are about the same ghettoness but your wife's idea is faster.

Damn. Seeing you drill those hole in that nice cabinets hurts me. : c

Why not just watercool the whole system and put the radiator behind the cabinet?

How about putting the radiator outside of the house like you're doing at the office Linus? #LinusAvoidACAtAllCostsTips

Terve!
Of course I would like to see more of these kinds of videos!

It was very interessting.

From the "main questin:" I guess, if you do it correctly,

it is almost professional just to have a molex connector screwed in to the case.

Does probably not look that good, if you look inside, but I can guess thatit would have been more professional to do

it your way.

Sayonara!

i had to do a similar mod for my bitfenix case, the window was causing my temps to be 10 degrees higher, i removed the window and tossed a 280mm magnetic fan grill on the side, works well!

also about those bolts sticking up at the bottom for the fans, ever thought about turning them around so the round side is up, or adding some of those scuff proof pads for couches to prevent case scratching

I am considering this kind of modding, as my computer desk does not really allow the PC placement anywhere except a pair of closed cabinets to the left.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

re: Linus Ghetto vs. Linus' Wife Ghetto

While Linus' approach was nicer if you ever move the PC (which as he said in the video will most likely not happen), Linus' Wife's approach required FAR less work for the same result... and since you're never gonna see it anyway, I say point to Linus' Wife... sorry bud.

@LinusTech

I enjoy videos like this more than anything and one of the main reason I subscribed to LTT's channel in the first place was because of the personal projects like your main rig and storage setups.

I like how the reviews and overviews looks more professional now, but it's really nice to see these vlogs from time to time.

+1 this is the content I love to see from you, your personal projects like your home Server build or your PC build in its many split videos. Hope to see more stuff like this from time to time!

If you can remove the bottom of the case so the two fans you installed into the tv stand blow up into the video cards that would probably help a ton. Like a ghetto SilverStone Raven RV01  :P

Also you might want to look at a 750ti for that computer much lower power and heat generation. I have a computer with not much more space between the bottom of the case and the video card and it does not break 55c full load. Granted it is not stuck in a tv stand.

To added onto my last post about removing the bottom of the case. If you do that, put this on the videocard.

http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-s1-plus.html

And move the two lower tv stand fans up into the stand connected to the videocard header. With a fan filter outside the stand to easily get to, maybe with magnets.

Hey Linus,

I had the same problem with my home entertainment center. Like you I put 2 fans in the back of the cabinet and it changed things dramatically. I didn't go with the 2 fans on the bottom because of cat hair and dust.

Great thread

Pitt Meadows what!!

Ryan

Nice little mod, I did something similar for my firewall, switch, UPS, etc... (excuse the crappy photo, old imageshack account)

https://imageshack.com/i/ipxiZ1V1j

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

I like the wife's idea because it's less messing around and cleaner. I would also second the suggestion for removing the bottom of the case for better air flow. Either that or finding a different case with plenty of air vents at the bottom.

+1

I want more videos like this one. DIY stuff is interesting!