Graphics card integrated in monitors. What do you think?

What if motherboards could use something like thunderbolt to interface themselves with a display that integrates a full blown gaming gpu? A possible advantage would be that in a lan party scenario I could bring a integrated graphics laptop that is very cheap and light and then use the displays on site and be able to play any game. Another implementaton could be a very high resolution monitor (for example 4k) that includes a gpu that is fast enough to run it with games that are modern when the monitor gets shipped, saving time and hassle to the buyer. For example it could integrate a dual gpu r9 290. They would also need to be upgradeable of course.

What do you guys think? I was just there scrolling LTT and I had this idea.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

displaying output would generate less delay and require less power than having data transferred to monitor but i see that happening ,good idea.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Somewhere in the world an LG employee is stealing your idea.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Wait we already have this by all in one monitors.

they share the same logic as laptops.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I guess if you don't plan on swapping GPU's or having to buy a new monitor every 2-3 years if you want to have the best graphics option.

Possibly integrating GPU's like Intel's onboard or low end AMD/Nvidia where passive cooling can be used, then yeah it could work. Add in gsync/freesync and you're set for low end gaming and video playback.

they share the same logic as laptops.

But not the design, the mobo is behind the moniter but laptop is mobo under the keyboard.

It probably would have to be in a very small form factor. it could possibly be less expensive doe

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

But not the design, the mobo is behind the moniter but laptop is mobo under the keyboard.

same thing there is still a panel that display and a motherboard that has everything on it.

Wouldn't the fans be a bit loud since they're closer to you?

Possibly, airflow would benefit though. I'm not much of a silence freak and I use headphones anyway, but I can see that being a problem for some users. Still, if it can fit a full size gpu, it can probably fit a waterblock too. I'm not an engineer though (yet) so I can't really figure out all the details.

I guess if you don't plan on swapping GPU's or having to buy a new monitor every 2-3 years if you want to have the best graphics option.

They would be upgradeable though

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They would be upgradeable though

Ah, I thought you meant by integrated that they would be integrated into the board via a proprietary solution.

I guess if you were to go about it that way and basically have add-in GPU's then it could be beneficial in a sense, but then at that point I would like to see the actual benefit of these being added in directly rather than in a desktop and if the difference is actually negligible. 

Bad idea, you need a lot of bandwidth for GPUs, iirc, and it's a pain in the ass trying to feed a 16x PCIe connection to a screen. You need the computer doing the work on its own and then feeding the end product to the monitor.

Also, I don't need my monitors any more heavy, complicated or expensive than they already are. I am perfectly happy with my uber-fast bog-standard TN panel monitor where no-one else can see what I am doing.

No, too much latency to be feasible.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

No, too much latency to be feasible.

There are thunderbolt graphics cards already, and if one connector isn't enough we could always use 2.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There are thunderbolt graphics cards already, and if one connector isn't enough we could always use 2.

Bandwidth, okay, let's ignore that...

and current Thunderbolt GPUs are not really meant for gaming or any other serious use.

Putting a whole meter of wire and another controller between the card and the PCIe bus (on which all devices are ultimately placed!) would slow down data exchange between the CPU and the GPU, crippling such a cards' performance. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

No. Constantly needing to upgrade the monitor for the next generation of games vs slapping in new video card and use the same monitor with no issues.

No. Constantly needing to upgrade the monitor for the next generation of games vs slapping in new video card and use the same monitor with no issues.

The monitor's card would be upgradeable indipendently

Bandwidth, okay, let's ignore that...

and current Thunderbolt GPUs are not really meant for gaming or any other serious use.

Putting a whole meter of wire and another controller between the card and the PCIe bus (on which all devices are ultimately placed!) would slow down data exchange between the CPU and the GPU, crippling such a cards' performance. 

I guess you're right, but don't pcie risers basically do the same thing without degrading performance? If they were longer and in a round shape they could be used for the monitor right?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The monitor's card would be upgradeable indipendently

I guess you're right, but don't pcie risers basically do the same thing without degrading performance? If they were longer and in a round shape they could be used for the monitor right?

If you roll them all in a bunch, interference becomes a problem. Also, there is not a pesky thunderbolt controller getting in  the way there. 

Spoiler

no pls...

Sure external graphics cards sound good for small form factor PCs, but embedding them into a monitor? I don't think so... Imagine having to change monitors every time you need a graphics card upgrade...

It defeats some of the reasons for getting a desktop pc which would modularity and upgradability...

If you roll them all in a bunch, interference becomes a problem. Also, there is not a pesky thunderbolt controller getting in  the way there. 

Well, thunderbolt was an example, if we could have something that doesn't need an extra controller of course I'd prefer that. Even with interference, a pcie 3.0 x16 slot has enough bandwidth for more than 2 graphics cards, so that shouldn't be an issue right?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

AMD already hates this idea.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think geat would be a problem since the colors of the panel turn yellowish when there's a lot of heat over a long period of time.

Other than that pretty cool idea but will never happen imo ^^

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List