How to connect a Dell ultrasharp u2412m to a laptop?

saras

Hello,

now I've been looking for a good 1920x1200 general use monitor that wouldn't break my bank and that I could connect to my laptop. The dell ultrasharp u2412m seems like the best bet. However, by the looks of it, the monitor doesn't have HDMI input. This is a bit of a stupid question, but how would one connect such a monitor to a laptop? At first I thought of a simple HDMI to DVI cable, but then I heard several responses that something like that would only support up to 1920x1080. So, any clarifications/tips?

Check out AOC monitors. They're surprisingly good - amazingly good for the price, though I'm not sure if they offer higher than 1080 resolution. May I ask why are you are after such an obscure resolution also? You've obviously researched which means you're serious about this specific resolution, but why not a 2560x1600 if you're after higher than 1080 res? All the best of luck with your search.

1920x1200 is an excellent choice for productivity, and the Dell U2412M is a great monitor but I'd look into 1440p if I were you. You can use an HDMI to DVI adapted for the 1200p display. If you want to run 1440p you'll need some sort of port-replicator/dock with dual-link DVI out. It would help to know your laptop specs..you'll need decent dedicated graphics to run either one smoothly (along with your laptop screen anyways).

CaptainSi, I need the monitor to work on, not to watch movies, which from my experience is the only thing a 1080p screen is good for. The extra height is very much appreciated.

I didn't want to go for the >1200 monitors for two reasons really. One being the price of the monitor itself and the other and the other being the requirement for active adapters which too cost quite a bit. However, if a simple HDMI to DVI cable will suffice, I guess that the u2412m is still my best bet.

I'm running an asus n56vz with the 650m. And while both my graphics card and HDMI 1.4a seem to tout 4K support, monitors with dual link HDMI support seem to be nonexistant.

Hello' date=' now I've been looking for a good 1920x1200 general use monitor that wouldn't break my bank and that I could connect to my laptop. The dell ultrasharp u2412m seems like the best bet. However, by the looks of it, the monitor doesn't have HDMI input. This is a bit of a stupid question, but how would one connect such a monitor to a laptop? At first I thought of a simple HDMI to DVI cable, but then I heard several responses that something like that would only support up to 1920x1080. So, any clarifications/tips?[/quote']

The U2412HM is an excellent choice. It has great colors, and beats TN best offering to it, but it's not as good as Dell higher end, and obviously, more pricey models. It uses an eIPS panels, fast response time and low input lag, providng a good balance between work, gaming, and enjoying pictures, and visuals in general. Also, the build quality is there. with a fully adjustable stand, as you notice, and no glossy parts. Definitely worth the money.

They are several ways you can connect your laptop to your monitor:

1- If your laptop has DisplayPort, then simply use that. A DisplayPort cable is really inexpensive. Some laptop like the Alienware series have both HDMI and DisplayPort. And large amount of business class laptop have DisplayPort in the past 4 years or so. So check for that.

2- If your laptop have HDMI. You can purchase an HDMI to DVI cable. Like this one:

HDMI-DVI-1.jpg

It's also not expensive if you shop around.

3- If your laptop has mini-DisplayPort, then you can use any mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables just fine.

4- If your laptop has VGA plug, then you can use that, but not personally recommended, as you'll lose some sharpness, and depending on where you live and level of interference in the house, you might see interference on your screen. 1920x1200 is pushing VGA a bit too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello' date=' now I've been looking for a good 1920x1200 general use monitor that wouldn't break my bank and that I could connect to my laptop. The dell ultrasharp u2412m seems like the best bet. However, by the looks of it, the monitor doesn't have HDMI input. This is a bit of a stupid question, but how would one connect such a monitor to a laptop? At first I thought of a simple HDMI to DVI cable, but then I heard several responses that something like that would only support up to 1920x1080. So, any clarifications/tips?[/quote']

The U2412HM is an excellent choice. It has great colors, and beats TN best offering to it, but it's not as good as Dell higher end, and obviously, more pricey models. It uses an eIPS panels, fast response time and low input lag, providng a good balance between work, gaming, and enjoying pictures, and visuals in general. Also, the build quality is there. with a fully adjustable stand, as you notice, and no glossy parts. Definitely worth the money.

They are several ways you can connect your laptop to your monitor:

1- If your laptop has DisplayPort, then simply use that. A DisplayPort cable is really inexpensive. Some laptop like the Alienware series have both HDMI and DisplayPort. And large amount of business class laptop have DisplayPort in the past 4 years or so. So check for that.

2- If your laptop have HDMI. You can purchase an HDMI to DVI cable. Like this one:

HDMI-DVI-1.jpg

It's also not expensive if you shop around.

3- If your laptop has mini-DisplayPort, then you can use any mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables just fine.

4- If your laptop has VGA plug, then you can use that, but not personally recommended, as you'll lose some sharpness, and depending on where you live and level of interference in the house, you might see interference on your screen. 1920x1200 is pushing VGA a bit too much.

This. I use a mini dp to hdmi adapter to use a hdmi to dvi cable to connect my laptop to my u2412m