Build Log Submission Thread! The Big Event

Whaler_99

Well gang, here is a special one. Due to various issues, we know many Build Logs have been missed being featured on the WAN show over the past while... like a LONG while. :)

So, prior to starting a new recurring one where the completed requirements will be a bit more strict this one is OPEN. Basically, if you have a completed Build Log and you feel it's "up to snuff" then please feel free to submit it.

Please make sure you review and adhere to the Build Log Guidelines posted HERE.

Once a month or so goes by or 100 submissions are received, we will start a voting thread. Not ALL submissions may appear in the voting thread. There may be some editorial decisions made.

Please keep comments on others submissions to a minimum - if you want to comment on someone's build, what better place to do so then in their actual build log. :)

Let the games begin!!

RULES

A few basic rules...

1 - Only submit your own build log. You cannot submit if you have won in the past three months.

2 - Your build must be completed. Do not submit "In Progress" builds.

3 - Description cap of 200 words.

4 - Do not include specs, please have a detailed list of specs in your actual Build Log thread.

^ All invalid submissions will be ignored ^

Accepted submissions will be moved to new a "voting" version of the thread. The top voted system will be featured on the WAN show or in the after party. One other submitted system will also be picked by “the staff" (Linus, Slick and Mods).

TEMPLATE

Forum ID: MyIDonForum

Build Title: This is My Build Title

Thread URL: http://linustechtips...over-100-pages/

Description: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum

DYUYmyn.jpg

Edited by alpenwasser
updated template, image link removed

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I want to submit my revised R4, it featured when it was in its recently watercooled stage, but then it went through a full refresh...

linky http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24214-heavily-modified-fractal-define-r4-with-dual-180mm-and-360-radiators/

" Just one more upgrade... "

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/192175-just-one-more-upgrade/

EinZerstorer

3770k 4.6ghz 1.288v

maximus v gene

evga 780ti classified 1320mhz/7500mhz 1.336v

samsung 840 evo 256g

western digital veliciraptor 1tb

corsair dominator platinum 8g 1600 cas 8.

corsair h 100

corsair ax 750

corsair 350 d

ben q xl2420z 144hz

corsair m-45

post-88386-0-80934300-1407213451_thumb.j

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I have removed some off-topic posts to clean up the thread a bit.
Please folks, don't use this thread for random chitchat. If you wish
to compliment a build, that's fine, but let's try to keep this
reasonably on topic please. :)

- snip -

- snip -

- snip -

Please stick to the template as outlined in the rules post here.

For your convenience I have also added it to Whaler's original post.

Any build which does not stick to that template or otherwise violates the rules will not be eligible for the voting process.

Thank you all for participating, and have fun! :)

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hang on, is this BOTM? I thought we were going back to BOTW to coincide with the weekly WAN shows?

Neither. This one is sort of a catch-up thread, for those who missed

the opportunity to enter a contest while there weren't any.

Then after that, we'll have featured contests, but we're not tieing

ourselves to a fixed schedule at this point. We'll see how many

entries we'll get and then have contests when there are enough entries.

The winners will then be featured on the show.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Ya, I was thinking of the future and not this particular catch-up instance. Not tying to a fixed schedule might be good but then one of the biggest things members here liked was being featured on the WAN show irrespective of if they were the only build log entered that week. I am curious to see what works better.

Depending on timing, submissions, etc, one submission post might last a month and another may last two weeks, all depends on how busy things are and how many submissions we get. It "should" be as active as the community members are willing to make it. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

i dont know how you snipped a post I never made, I only entered my build thread submission.

you must be a wizard or something.

Forum ID: Simenr2812

Build Title: Custom UV Prodigy

Thread URL: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132915-custom-uv-prodigy/#entry1768912

DescriptionMy way of testing how clean you can make a prodigy only using some acrylic panels, uv light, cable sleeving, noctua nf-f12s and white paint you have laying around. And yes those are WHITE noctua nf-f12 fans in the top (just the sides are painted, but you get the point;)

Picture URL: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-5707-0-62263400-1396047206.jpg

post-5707-0-62263400-1396047206.jpg

Forum ID: SageC

Build Title: Project N64 PC: A Kaveri HTPC inside a Nintendo 64

Thread URL: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/162939-completed-project-n64-pc-a-kaveri-htpc-inside-a-nintendo-64/

Description: This thing is basically a stock N64 painted up and with a FM2+ PC stuck inside of it. It features all the same features as a regular N64 such as working power and restart buttons, controller ports, and power LED, but with the horse power and versatility of a A10-7850K.

623zgI4l.jpg

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

i dont know how you snipped a post I never made, I only entered my build thread submission.

you must be a wizard or something.

Haha, nah we already have a Wizard around here. :D

I quoted your post because it doesn't fully comply with the template.

Yes, we're going to be strict about this, otherwise there'd be no

point in making the rules in the first place. ;)

goes back to look at the template loool  :lol:

Forum ID: M-ursu

Build TitleThe Large P

Thread URLhttp://linustechtips.com/main/topic/190057-build-the-large-p/

Description: My main Editing Rig, build mainly from left over parts.

BxQXcdJ.jpg

Edited by alpenwasser
fixed image :)

Forum ID: M-ursu

Build TitleThe Small White P

Thread URLhttp://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131216-the-small-white-p-node-304-build/

Description: Total Ghetto rig, but hey, it's fast for gaming :)

oTqYAZX.jpg

Edited by alpenwasser
fixed image :)

Rule Update

We've adjusted the template and removed the separate image URL link.

Just embed the image in your submission posts (which is a bit confusing

anyway). People whose submission posts still conform to the old template

don't need to adjust their posts. But anyone submitting a build from

here on out must stick to the template as it currently stands.

Thanks, and have fun! :)

@M-ursu: I've adjusted your posts accordingly since you seem to have

fallen victim to the above mentioned confusion. ;)

@alpenwasser: I have a few questions.

1. Can the build be hardware-completed, but not fully implemented in software?

2. What are the judging criteria? Does it have to be gaming-oriented or aesthetically pleasing?

@alpenwasser: I have a few questions.

1. Can the build be hardware-completed, but not fully implemented in software?

No, fully built in hardware is sufficient. If you want to show off some

fancy software setup, that's of course OK, but it's not a prerequisite

for entering the contest.

2. What are the judging criteria? Does it have to be gaming-oriented or aesthetically pleasing?

Well, for the initial step (accepting entries and putting them into

the voting thread), what we primarily care about is that the rules

are respected. Other than that, we reserve the right to remove certain

entries if there's a good reason for it, but those will be exceptions

under unusual circumstances which we haven't planned for (as an extreme

example, let's say if you enter a build which is plastered full of

Swastikas).

Other than that, as long as you stay within the rules, you can enter

pretty much any build you like. The rest will be up to the community. :)

EDIT:

Silly me, forgot about the Staff Pick. We haven't really defined any

rules for that process though, except that our own builds aren't

eligible for it. Other than that, we'll have a look and decide which

build we like best, but we're not going to go through the candidates

with a checklist or something like that. After all, building PCs

is a very creative process, I don't think we should reduce that to

a bunch of fixed criteria, but have a flexible approach when picking

our favourites.

Edited by alpenwasser

-snip-

Ok - thanks for the clarifications.

So here is mine ;P Hopefully I don't sound TOO marketing-like.

Forum ID: lekro

Build Title: LekroNAS: 16TB gigabit-saturating network-attached storage using FreeNAS

Thread URLhttp://linustechtips.com/main/topic/167913-

Description: In no way aesthetically pleasing or gaming-oriented, LekroNAS stores massive swaths of data in one convenient, network-attached device accessible from anywhere desired. The LekroNAS uses server-grade components to provide a true server experience and allow for ZFS arrays up to 32TB in size, at a price significantly lesser than prebuilt NAS devices with similar capabilities.

dgZWJsp.jpg

Forum ID: alpenwasser

Build Title: APOLLO

Thread URL : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75887-apollo-2-cpu-lga1366-server-inwin-pp689-by-alpenwasser/

Description : OK, OK, I know, it's not the prettiest thing in the world. It doesn't even have a painted interior! But still, there's lots of goodness here I think. Cable management! Completely custom drive bays with place for tons of HDDs! Dual CPUs! Loads of fans! But yes, of course this build is about functionality above all else. In any case (huehue), for those who don't know it yet, it's our new home server, used for my personal files, my dad's business data and our media library (and some experimentation with virtual machines). Currently at 29 TB raw storage capacity, it still has 11 free HDD bays at the moment for expansion. I needed a case with space for lots of HDDs for future expandability, but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on hotswap cages, so I took out the stock drive assembly and made a completely custom one with the awesome help from one of our neighbours.

More info in build log, for those who are into that sort of thing. :)

aw--apollo--2014-05-10--05--open.jpeg

NOTE: Obviously, staff builds are not eligible for staff pick, just for full disclosure before anybody gets their panties in a twist. ;)

the template is stupid

if I type

EinZerstorer

the title of my build log

the link of the log

and the photo link

I shouldn't have to put what they are beforehand, you can obviously tell what they are.

self proclaimed winner because I'm beasting alllll of these rigs so far =D

the template is stupid

Well why wasn't I told? We all know our templates must at least have an

IQ of 145! Stupid template, stupid, stupid, stupid... dragon.gif

Seriously though, the template was originally drawn up by Slick IIRC,

with an eye towards using it for the WAN show. So while it may seem

a bit redundant to you, it is what we're going to go with and enforce,

and that's that (unless the boss decides to change it, obviously :D).

Forum ID: ManWithBeard1990
Build Title: StealthRay 1.0
Thread URL: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/162200-stealthray-10-a-silent-build-in-a-custom-case/
Description: I've always wanted to build a case from scratch, a heavily noise-insulated one if possible. I succeeded fairly well with this one as it's much quieter on the outside than on the inside.

post-84472-0-84250800-1407537153_thumb.j

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Here is my pc. Full build and specs here:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/194502-my-budget-pc-white-knight/

K7cxRuc.jpg

For now it is done although an r9 280x, and cpu and motherboard will come within the next year. I consider it completed for now. The v750 is super overkill and gold rated, but I got it and installed it today and will be good for any future upgrades that's not an r9 295x2. This thing runs all my games fine, and the first thing to go will be my monitor and then my gpu. I am planning on maybe getting individually sleeved cable extensions sometime soon.

Haha, just noticed my doge was spying on me through the door