GTX 770 VS. R9 290 for Rendering + Gaming

williamjestes101

Hello Everyone,

So I have already asked this question and didn't really feel as though I had a definitive answer. Although I am obviously comparing a tier 1 card to a tier 2 card, answer these two questions as well as you can.

1: For rendering in Blender, which one? I have the advantage of using cycles with the 770, but I could use an external renderer like LuxRender. Would using LuxRender give me a faster render using the 290 then cycles with the 770?

2: Based on your answer to question 1, does the vastly superior gaming experience of the 290 combined with its (either better or worse than the 770) rendering performance make it a better card?

Thanks for your answers! A little bit of reasoning behind your answer would be appreciated!

Please don't rinse your memory

R9 290. OpenGL

Better gaming

Especially better gaming

Because to be fair, either way it's not going to take THAT long.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

290, its superior in gaming and if you can render in Open GL it will be faster.

well excon, spen was right for me. I have a Windforce 770 and i love it. i play everything on ultra and i can stream stuff to twitch well. I use that card to power 2 monitors and it powers them well. i just LOVE my GC, i have heard bad things about radeon but I have never used one so i can't make definitive judgement. I have no idea about the rendering performance but I assure you that the 770 kicks ass. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Reccomend the PowerColor PCS+

dude are you trolling 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

Wait, you guys are jumping too far.

Rendering really depends on programs used, if those are using your average OpenCL, OpenGL, GPU Compute, and stuff you're better off with the R9 290. No question about it. But in some programs like Adobe CS, Cinema 4D, and others, I think you'll be better with the GTX 770 since those programs are optimized to run Nvidia hardware (its too much bias if you'd asked me), its cheaper too at least where I'm from.

Gaming wise, the R9 290 will be a better performer overall. You could actually get a custom one that performs almost identical to the R9 290X. So...I'm with the others in saying the R9 290 is a better option than the GTX 770.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Wait, you guys are jumping too far.

Rendering really depends on programs used, if those are using your average OpenCL, OpenGL, GPU Compute, and stuff you're better off with the R9 290. No question about it. But in some programs like Adobe CS, Cinema 4D, and others, I think you'll be better with the GTX 770 since those programs are optimized to run Nvidia hardware (its too much bias if you'd asked me), its cheaper too at least where I'm from.

Gaming wise, the R9 290 will be a better performer overall. You could actually get a custom one that performs almost identical to the R9 290X. So...I'm with the others in saying the R9 290 is a better option than the GTX 770.

He did specifically said he'll be using Blender with LuxRender. AMD cards owned LuxRender with their stellar OpenCL performance.

290 destroyed 770 in Luxmark

luxmark.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

He did specifically said he'll be using Blender with LuxRender. AMD cards owned LuxRender with their stellar OpenCL performance.

290 destroyed 770 in Luxmark

luxmark.jpg

Well I did say the R9 290 is a better performer in compute stuff. I'm just saying that if he wants to try out or switch to software like Cinema 4D or even try some video/picture editing out with Adobe CS then he's better with the GTX 770 :)

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Depends on the apps you are using for rendering. Last time I checked Adobe CS Suite doesn't use Open CL, but that may have changed. So with Adobe (Again last time I checked) the 770 would be faster in rendering. In gaming the 290 would be faster as well with programs that support OpenCL

Depends on the apps you are using for rendering. Last time I checked Adobe CS Suite doesn't use Open CL, but that may have changed. So with Adobe (Again last time I checked) the 770 would be faster in rendering. In gaming the 290 would be faster as well with programs that support OpenCL

Recently Adobe has partnered with AMD and it actually does better with AMD than Nvidia now.

Yea the 290 will out preform the 770 by a mile

So get a R290 sapphire, best cards on the market, if not gigabyte or MSI

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Yep, the 290 will destroy the gtx 770 in everything except for drivers and overclocking memory. For some reason you can't get much of an overclock on the 512 bit memory even with the sapphire vapor-x. Plus you have to worry about the constant black screens from their memory if you try and overclock it too much.

Yep, the 290 will destroy the gtx 770 in everything except for drivers and overclocking memory. For some reason you can't get much of an overclock on the 512 bit memory even with the sapphire vapor-x. Plus you have to worry about the constant black screens from their memory if you try and overclock it too much.

Why you need to overclock the memory?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Because anyone that overclocks cards does both the gpu clock and the memory clock. But like I said, a gtx 770 doesn't hold a candle to a 290. With a little bit of overclocking the 290 can be faster than the 290x.

290, its superior in gaming and if you can render in Open GL it will be faster.

You mean Open CL?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

So get a R290 sapphire, best cards on the market, if not gigabyte or MSI

Actully tri x and and powercolor PCS+ are the best (pwc a little better) gigabyte and MSI not so much.

MAIN BUILD!

Actully tri x and and powercolor PCS+ are the best (pwc a little better) gigabyte and MSI not so much.

Lightning is superior to both of those.

But these 2 are super super cheap. In Croatia the PWC is 350eu

MAIN BUILD!

Don't think the lightning exists for the R9 290. Only the X

Don't think the lightning exists for the R9 290. Only the X

yah that is what makes me sad :(

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)