Is 144Hz worth it for non-gamers?

myst4ry

I currently have a main 27'' 1440p 60hz pb278qr, but I'm looking at maybe getting a 144hz XL2411Z in portrait mode for reading documents/scrolling/coding. I get motion sickness/dizzy when scrolling through files because of the slight blur that occurs when you scroll down fast (it's hard to read when scrolling, it's not sharp). Would a 144Hz display help with this? 

No. It'd most likely make it a bit worse since it's TN.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Maybe you should try and test a 120hz/144hz screen will fix the motion sickness.

But otherwise no :-)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Most likely not, the monitor you have at the moment is very good and replacing it isn't a great idea.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

it would help with motion sickness, but I'd try it out first

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

For non-gamers, resolution is more important that frame rate. What you are describing does not sound like a normal case scenario. The PB278Q uses PWM backlighting (not sure about the QR successor), so you might not have calibrated the screen correctly. Also, install (and calibrate) f.lux and see if that helps anything.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Get an IPS panel it has much better color and you wouldn't be using 144hz of the monitor anyway

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

The 144Hz will definitely help with the blur, but it's also a TN screen and that's the last thing you want for portrait mode. I'm pretty sure that the colour shift will be way more distracting than any blurry text could ever be. Not to mention that it's insanely expensive for a secondary monitor that you only read documents on.

I have 3x 120hz Samsung and i would say no.

its only helps for gamers smoother.

I currently have a main 27'' 1440p 60hz pb278qr, but I'm looking at maybe getting a 144hz XL2411Z in portrait mode for reading documents/scrolling/coding. I get motion sickness/dizzy when scrolling through files because of the slight blur that occurs when you scroll down fast (it's hard to read when scrolling, it's not sharp). Would a 144Hz display help with this? 

If you get motion sickness when scrolling down a page, you need to see a doctor. That's not right. It's nothing to do with the refresh rate of your monitor.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Get an IPS panel it has much better color and you wouldn't be using 144hz of the monitor anyway

He already got IPS monitor. 27'' 1440p 60hz pb278qr is a IPS monitor.

If you get motion sickness when scrolling down a page, you need to see a doctor. That's not right. It's nothing to do with the frame rate.

Yeah, something not right.

Yeah, something not right.

Agreed.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If you get motion sickness when scrolling down a page, you need to see a doctor. That's not right. It's nothing to do with the refresh rate of your monitor.

Well I just skim through webpages/documents extremely quickly with my eyes, but because of the constant blocky scrolling, it can bring a kind of motion sickness. I guess I'm gonna have to try to find a store with a 144hz monitor on display. 

Got  a 120hz monitor, only thing i like is the smoothness with the mouse...

For non-gamers, no. For gamers, no. For people who are obsessed with having every advantage possible, yes. Get an IPS monitor.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Well I just skim through webpages/documents extremely quickly with my eyes, but because of the constant blocky scrolling, it can bring a kind of motion sickness. I guess I'm gonna have to try to find a store with a 144hz monitor on display. 

But are you sure that the problem is not related to calibration? IT IS possible that you have tried all the hardware/software settings to no avail, but we would like to know the result of that, so that we can better understand the problem.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Multiple monitors will drop down to the lowest refresh rate. I have a 120Hz and a 144Hz, but it'll only allow me to run both at 120Hz. When I plug in my 4K, all my monitors drop down to 30Hz.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

But are you sure that the problem is not related to calibration? IT IS possible that you have tried all the hardware/software settings to no avail, but we would like to know the result of that, so that we can better understand the problem.

Have done zero calibration/setting changes, I'm one of the first with this new monitors version, so not many people that I can take the calibration from, I have this monitor http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB278QR/, it's a different panel from the original Q version. 

Have done zero calibration/setting changes, I'm one of the first with this new monitors version, so not many people that I can take the calibration from, I have this monitor http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB278QR/, it's a different panel from the original Q version. 

Ok, so try to modify some of the settings options that you can find. Check if any of them alleviates, worsens, or ignores the problem, and write a log for it.

I currently have a main 27'' 1440p 60hz pb278qr, but I'm looking at maybe getting a 144hz XL2411Z in portrait mode for reading documents/scrolling/coding. I get motion sickness/dizzy when scrolling through files because of the slight blur that occurs when you scroll down fast (it's hard to read when scrolling, it's not sharp). Would a 144Hz display help with this

I have 3x 120hz Samsung and i would say no.

its only helps for gamers smoother.

Well I just skim through webpages/documents extremely quickly with my eyes, but because of the constant blocky scrolling, it can bring a kind of motion sickness. I guess I'm gonna have to try to find a store with a 144hz monitor on display

To the OP, yes a 144Hz display will help with motion sickness/dizzy when scrolling through files, but you need a specific display with the right settings.

The kind of solution you need is a monitor that has strobed backlight. What it does is it eliminates motion blur similar to CRT motion clarity.

It is similar to when you close you're eyes for a brief second while looking at rain falling down or a wheel sniping and you get a crystal clear image in your mind.

To clear out the confusion, even a 144Hz non strobed monitor can have lots of motion blur. strobed monitor on the other hand even at 60Hz will totally eliminate motion blur but there would be tons of flickering thats why it is only advisable to use at 100Hz+. Also strobe backlight only reliably works to 120Hz as going to 144Hz will result in horrendous strobe cross talk/image doubling.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-marquee

With strobed backlight enable, the links above would get crystal clear.

more info

motion_blur_from_persistence.png

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/video/

currently there are several monitor that have strobe backlight.

those are: lightboost (through hack), Benq Blur Reduction, Eizo Turbo 240 and ULMB (official successor to lightboost that have supperior colors and significantly less strobe crosstalk. ULMB is included in all G-Sync monitor).

I suggest you don't get lightboost as those have really poor image quality.

If image quality is very important, then I suggest you get the Eizo Foris FG2421 as it is using a SHARP LQ235D1LW03 VA panel (it is 10bit native but for some reason it is operated at 8bit+FRC. It is close to IPS in terms of color reproduction and viewing angle) instead of TN. The downside is that it is very expensive and is only 1080p.

If you are on a budget, then get the Benq Z-series (make sure it has v2 firmware) as those have supperior image quality than any Lightboost monitor.

or get the Asus VG248QE + G-Sync upgrade to have ULMB.

or any monitor that has G-Sync.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

I think my situation may be software-related issue instead of 60hz related, it's really strange, sometimes firefox gets very slightly laggy/choppy when scrolling, but if I alt tab to chrome, and then back to firefox, the choppiness is gone. (chrome has permanent micro-chopiness) I'm gonna reformat my OS to see.