Cherry MX Black... meh?

Marco Martinho

So in the market for a mechanical keyboard... but my options are very limited, because I need it to be in Portuguese layout.

Most of them come with MX Black switches... Everybody talks about Red and Blues (some Browns too) but everybody seems to despise the Black ones. (jokes and puns aside.. shame on you -_- )

Are they that bad?

The best option that is available for me with my conditions is the Steelseries 6g v2.

I would appreciate any feedback from MX Black users.

Not that bad.

I prefer browns and reds though.

I prefer blacks to blues though.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

So in the market for a mechanical keyboard... but my options are very limited, because I need it to be in Portuguese layout.

Most of them come with MX Black switches... Everybody talks about Red and Blues (some Browns too) but everybody seems to despise the Black ones. (jokes and puns aside.. shame on you -_- )

Are they that bad?

The best option that is available for me with my conditions is the Steelseries 6g v2.

I don't think anyone despises them. They're just very middle of the road. My ranking would be:

Browns

Reds

Blues

Blacks 

(those are all that I've tried)

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It's all personal preference. I can't tell you whether they are bad or good.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I dislike MX black because I love the tactile feedback and the clicky noise :P. It's personal preference though.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I use reds which are basically lighter blacks, I think I could use blacks but they wouldn't be my first choice.

I don't think anyone despises them. They're just very middle of the road. My ranking would be:

Browns

Reds

Blues

Blacks 

(those are all that I've tried)

See, thats my point. They always end up on the bottom of the list when it comes to preference.

Is there any particular reason why Black switches are your least favourite?

Isnt there a red edition of that kb? I would rather have low profile keys than blacks.

#UsedALaptopFor5Yrs

The reason that the blacks often come low in preference is because they are very boring. Not tactile, not clicky, just a plain key press. They are like heavier and more durable versions of the rubber domes you see in most cheaper kbs.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

See, thats my point. They always end up on the bottom of the list when it comes to preference.

Is there any particular reason why Black switches are your least favourite?

Purely because the others are better. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It's all personal preference. I can't tell you whether they are bad or good.

I know and I get it... but we could be factual about it. One thing that people tend to complain about Black switches is the 60g actuation force, that could quickly tire you fingers (compared to other lighter switches).

But does that matter to somebody that used nothing but membrane switches?

Isnt there a red edition of that kb? I would rather have low profile keys than blacks.

#UsedALaptopFor5Yrs

The reason that the blacks often come low in preference is because they are very boring. Not tactile, not clicky, just a plain key press. They are like heavier and more durable versions of the rubber domes you see in most cheaper kbs.

I think there was a red edition of the 6G ... but can't find it anywhere... not even on their official site.

Yeah... thats the feeling I get too. I've never used a mechanical keyboard, so I couldn't tell but the first thing that comes to my mind are Red and Blue switches because of all the love they get.

I know and I get it... but we could be factual about it. One thing that people tend to complain about Black switches is the 60g actuation force, that could quickly tire you fingers (compared to other lighter switches).

But does that matter to somebody that used nothing but membrane switches?

It really depends on how heavy you stroke the keys. If you hit really hard MX blacks are great (from what i have herd) for just hitting the actuation point. If you have a very light touch reds and browns are better, but if you are a super light typist like I am than the browns feel almost exactly like a membrane KB. It really depends on how hard you hit. Blues are a feel of their own, and I like the feel, just hate the sound.

It really depends on how heavy you stroke the keys. If you hit really hard MX blacks are great (from what i have herd) for just hitting the actuation point. If you have a very light touch reds and browns are better, but if you are a super light typist like I am than the browns feel almost exactly like a membrane KB. It really depends on how hard you hit. Blues are a feel of their own, and I like the feel, just hate the sound.

interesting... never thought about it that way. All of a sudden Black switches don't seem that bad anymore, since I could consider myself a "heavy typer"... One could argue that Black switches are the best for the membrane - mechanical KB transition. Would you agree?

interesting... never thought about it that way. All of a sudden Black switches don't seem that bad anymore, since I could consider myself a "heavy typer"... One could argue that Black switches are the best for the membrane - mechanical KB transition. Would you agree?

Clears would probably be the best for transitioning, but if you like a linear press and don't want to bottom out than yes blacks or something heavier would be great for you!

It's a matter of personal preference, I prefer heavier/stiffer switch types, hence, I prefer Clear/Green/Black/White. Right now, I'd only buy boards with Blues or Browns only IF the previous switch types I'd mentioned weren't available on the boards. Honestly, I tolerate Blue and Brown but would very much prefer those I'd mentioned. I'm using a Ducky DK9087G2 Pro with MX Black switch and I love it! Also using a Storm Trigger Cherry Green and a Topre keyboard, they're heaven to my fingers.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Blacks, like all switches, are about preference. To make a slightly strange analogy, it's a bit like BDSM. Whips and chains don't tend to rank too highly on people's list of frisky activities, but then you have that one crowd that just goes crazy for it. Same with black switches.

Personally, I'm waiting for a keyboard with linear greys, if not something stiffer than that (I would've loved to try a keyboard with super blacks, though it'd probably be impratical).

If I were to rank the four most common switches in terms of most to least favourite, the order would be:

Blue

Black

Brown

Red.

But even the blues aren't my favourite Cherry switch, I prefer the greens over all other Cherrys, but of course Buckling Spring reigns supreme over everything else.

I've used blacks for three years. I'm currently using mx reds and I can honestly say that I'll never use blacks again.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I've used/owned keyboards with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, Reds, Blacks, and Clears.

If I have any control over it, I'll never use or buy a keyboard with Black switches again.

I've used blacks for three years. I'm currently using mx reds and I can honestly say that I'll never use blacks again.

I've used/owned keyboards with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, Reds, Blacks, and Clears.

If I have any control over it, I'll never use or buy a keyboard with Black switches again.

Why do you two hate blacks so much? Is it just the lack of tactility or is there something more to it?

If I were to list the ones I've used:

Blues

Blacks

Clears

And somewhere in deep hell, reds

I have liked all switches I have tried, except for reds, and blacks have been good to me. It's actually the only switch I don't bottom out.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Are they that bad?

They are heavier reds. 60g actuation force i believe.

Just got my Mionix Zibal 60 which uses Cherry MX Black and it is indeed a HEAVY switch.

I can understand now why some people think Cherry MX Black is fatiguing.

As you press down the key, it gets stiffer and stiffer until you bottom. I tried playing games on it and I found that I really have to bottom out the keys as sometimes I press too light which makes the key not register.

It is really fatiguing especially if you have to repeatedly tap a key like playing an arcade racing game (dirt 3, f1 2013, grid autosport).

It is like typing on a really stiff sponge.

Compared to my Cherry MX Brown (Logitech G710 Plus), I would say Cherry MX Brown  is better for gaming for me personally because Cherry MX Brown is alot faster, more accurate and alot less fatiguing.

I might try Cherry MX Red next.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.