Why do people prefer matte screens so much?

tehgray

If you're using it inside, I assume you can control your lighting, so why wouldn't you go glossy at that point? The Image quality of glossy screens seem a lot more vibrant in my opinion....

i74790k | Hyper 212 EVO |16gb 1600mhz Corsair Sport | Z97 Gigabyte Ga.G1 Sniper Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 970 | 250GB 840 EVO | 3TB 7200RPM WD Black | Fractal Define R4 | Corsair K70 Red | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser HD598 + Fidelio X2 | Blue Yeti Microphone | Dell P2414h + Dell S2340m

i prefer glossy screens, it looks sharper

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

^

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

If you're using it inside, I assume you can control your lighting, so why wouldn't you go glossy at that point? The Image quality of glossy screens seem a lot more vibrant in my opinion....

Matte panels are less reflective & scatter the light somewhat more evenly compared to the normal glass/plexi displays.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I don't like the look of glossy screens. I prefer matte.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

less glare. Even if I control my lighting etc, there will still always be some sort of noticable reflection when the screen is dark

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Not everybody wants to sit in a make shift bat cave all day.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

less glare. Even if I control my lighting etc, there will still always be some sort of noticable reflection when the screen is dark

same reason I prefer matte^

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Glossy screens reflect everything, including your face. It needs to be pretty dark for them to work properly. If it is dark they look good but wreck your eyes as they are the only/main source of light in the room. I would rather my monitor looked good all day and night than just when it's dark.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Fingerprints annoy me, but that's a laptop thing.

You often can't control the lighting even when you're inside. In an office for example, you have steong overhead lighting that you need to keep on. In a home environment its entirely dependent on the house, room, and region.

^

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

ditto

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I do prefer matte screens just because i have a window behind me when i look at my monitor and it is always opened, but i do think glossy displays look sharper and they are easier to clean once they get fingerprints.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

For some, the reflective issue goes away after a couple days, unless you have a light source directly behind you. I have had some luck with glossy displays, but that's on a laptop. Dell's u2414 has a thick matte coat, too thick for my preference. i think the best ones to use have a lite matte coating on it.

People typically work more efficiently when in natural sunlight. I have my desk next to my window where I do all my work throughout the day. Thus seeing my PC screen is actually nice.