About this 40Tb connection...?

Marvzl1357

Hullo,

From my limited understanding of how hard drives and networks work, I thought that having a network connection that's faster than your 6 drive raid 0 ssd array (example only) would still be limited by the read/write speed of the ssd's.

I heard something like "download a movie in 0.2 seconds" but again, isn't the write speed limited to the ssd's (or whatever storage solution's) write speed?

Is it stored in ram or something?

Sorry if this is some sort of common knowledge that I don't know about, but an explanation would help a lot.

Thanks

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Yes the drives would be the bottleneck in that situation, or their controller.

ok, so it's somewhat pointless for normal consumers to have that insane download speed?

ok, so it's somewhat pointless for normal consumers to have that insane download speed?

Yeah, that type of connection will be for datacenters and service providers, not consumers.

The actual speed is only about 5TB/s, while the SSDs total to a little over 1GB/s

The only speed you would be downloading something at is the speed of the ssds or the controller.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If I understood your post correctly, you mean to say that he should supposedly be able to get a (let's say) 6GB movie from the NAS to his PC in 0.2 seconds?

I think this would be impossible since you most likely would be on a 100Mbps connection (or 1Gbps which is better). Let's say you max out this speed, it won't even reach the same speed as the read speeds of the SSD which could be considerably faster... So your bottleneck here would be the network...

or

by "download" you mean "getting something from the internet"? In this case it will be your connection bottlenecking things...

But, I'm usure since I wasn't able to understand your post clearly...

P.S.

Conversion factor for 'b' to 'B' is 1/8....

Yeah, that type of connection will be for datacenters and service providers, not consumers.

ok cool, thanks

sorry if it was a bit vague, but there was some news about a 40 (or so) terabit/sec internet connection not too long ago, and I was just wondering if that download speed is actually not able to be fully achieved by mere mortal computers because there is a speed limit of the storage solution.

ok cool, thanks

sorry if it was a bit vague, but there was some news about a 40 (or so) terabit/sec internet connection not too long ago, and I was just wondering if that download speed is actually not able to be fully achieved by mere mortal computers because there is a speed limit of the storage solution.

It won't (in the near future)... That's something for data centers and ISPs... What we have on "mortal PCs" (if that is what you were referring to) right now is a few generations behind... It might work locally, but you'd need standards for that, which at the time, the fastest would be the 1Gbps ethernet...

It won't (in the near future)... That's something for data centers and ISPs... What we have on "mortal PCs" (if that is what you were referring to) right now is a few generations behind... It might work locally, but you'd need standards for that, which at the time, the fastest would be the 1Gbps ethernet...

yeah, I suppose we'll only be stuck with gigabit for a while, great thing Australia has the best internet ever \sarcasm

but I was mostly speaking hypothetically, IF we were to have this connection now, would it be limited to the sata bus/ssd speeds. And the answer was yes.

I'm pretty sure if your download speed was that much higher it'd fill your RAM, CPU, and if you had it set up possibly even GPU, VRAM, And Page files just hiding the data anywhere it can fit essentially till the downloads done and your Computer should then try to slowly fill your drive xD think of it as pouring lots of water into alarge funnel it'll fill up like a pool till you run out of water then slowly drain xD in all honesty however that kind of connection would still be Ideal but even more ideal would be a way to limit it to a fraction of that till other technologies catch up (like use the 40Tb/s technology and just limmit it to say 20Gb/s which would be 1/5000th if my maths are correct) gaming that huge bandwidth could be used nicely :P like i think at that point a 2160p Nvidia shield via streaming off Nvidia grid could be possible O.o or loading webpages instantly but for downloads that'd be overkill. 

The actual speed is only about 5TB/s, while the SSDs total to a little over 1GB/s

The only speed you would be downloading something at is the speed of the ssds or the controller.

it's over 5TB/s and where the fuck did he say otherwise? Tb does not equal TB... and SSDs don't manage a GB/s genuinely SATA3 6Gb/s's THEORETICAL LIMIT is .75GB/s and most SSDs are still short of that by a health margin. 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I'm pretty sure if your download speed was that much higher it'd fill your RAM, CPU, and if you had it set up possibly even GPU, VRAM, And Page files just hiding the data anywhere it can fit essentially till the downloads done and your Computer should then try to slowly fill your drive 

Looks like the way to utilise this awesome new connection would be to use http://www.downloadmoreram.com/ !

I'm pretty sure if your download speed was that much higher it'd fill your RAM, CPU, and if you had it set up possibly even GPU, VRAM, And Page files just hiding the data anywhere it can fit essentially till the downloads done and your Computer should then try to slowly fill your drive xD think of it as pouring lots of water into alarge funnel it'll fill up like a pool till you run out of water then slowly drain xD in all honesty however that kind of connection would still be Ideal but even more ideal would be a way to limit it to a fraction of that till other technologies catch up (like use the 40Tb/s technology and just limmit it to say 20Gb/s which would be 1/5000th if my maths are correct) gaming that huge bandwidth could be used nicely :P like i think at that point a 2160p Nvidia shield via streaming off Nvidia grid could be possible O.o or loading webpages instantly but for downloads that'd be overkill. 

it's over 5TB/s and where the fuck did he say otherwise? Tb does not equal TB... and SSDs don't manage a GB/s genuinely SATA3 6Gb/s's THEORETICAL LIMIT is .75GB/s and most SSDs are still short of that by a health margin. 

first off, calm your tits.

secondly, there are 8 terabits in a a terabyte, 40/8 = 5, so 40Tb/s is the same as 5TB/s.

8 bits in a byte, bits are represented by a small b while bytes are represented by a capital B.

I dont think you realized but the OP asked if 6 SSDs in raid 0 would be a bottleneck for the connection, which it would be, and each SSD would be on its own port so it gets speeds faster than a single sata port could handle.

by the looks of your post you know very very little about what you are talking about, it would not download and stored in the vram, the ram, the cpu, or gpu, the cpu may process all the data downloaded, but all the data will go to the SSDs and will be limited by their speeds.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Your all talking about ideal conditions, when's the last time you were on the internet and no one else was? Same for your drive, are you at idle or do you have a slew of programs touching the disk? Many other factors, factor in on your speed, but still good posts.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.