Question about CPU

Hi guy,

can i have some feedback on :

Intel 3820 3.6Ghz

Mostly for gamming, multitasking

Its good but not an unlocked processor if you want spend some more and get 3770k

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Its good but not an unlocked processor if you want spend some more and get 3770k

You can in fact overclock the 3820.

But honestly OP, get a 3570K, unless you really need the X79 chipset

A 3570k on a z77 platform will work great for what you need it for, and overclocks well if you feel the need to squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

• Graphite 600T White
  • P8Z77-V Pro
  • H70 cooled i5 3570k - 4.8ghz
  • Palit GTX660ti Jetstream - 2GB
  • 16GB Corsair PC3 - 1600MHz
  • Intel 120GB SSD
  • 1TB + 500GB HDD
  • Corsair CX 750w 80+ Bronze
  • Logitech G9x <3
  • Logitech G19 - Never worked properly
  • A place to store one DVD or CD - I'm yet to find a use for it
  • Many fans - Coolermaster and Corsair
  • Minuscule amount of dust - To be removed

X79 platform for gaming is an overkill and is totally unnecessary.

If you have the money then you should buy what ever makes you happy. I think you should just get a socket 2011 CPU because for gaming it is a great CPU.

If your going to dive into socket 2011, right now-you have to go all in! You have to get the best chip for the socket to get any value. I personally think you should just go for a 3770K, so you will find more value and more modestly priced motherboards. Remember, games are more dependent on the graphics card. I would blow the money on getting a top of the line GPU like a 670 or better if you were planning to go for this chip. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt if you like :) .

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

@Bob, A 2011 CPU would not make any difference with a 1155 i5 in game performance,

I got budget so I can't get too wonderful cpu and motherboard. I got a deal that is, Asus rampage gene and I7 3820 both for about $800Sgd is it worth?

The GTX660 is better.
OH! thanks, by the way, you guys were saying 3770K, is it better then 3820 & whats the price different?

The GTX660 is better.
Apparently the 3820 is jsut a tad better but it's not worth it as the motherboard would cost more.

The GTX660 is better.
The 3820 is better in general but in a nichey way as the extra bandwidth going from dual channel on LGA1155 to quad channel on LGA2011 will make it better in certain circumstances like video editing and physical simulations but there is an increase in the latency of the ram which is not good for gaming (its not by a huge amount do). The 3770k will get hotter easier with higher voltages while the 3820 will stay cooler like the rest of SB as appose to IB.

when your looking up the prices the 3820 will look cheaper on the cpu side but it doesn't come with the intel stock cooler while the 3770k is more expensive off the shelves but it does come with the intel stock cooler.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

The GTX660 is better.
really? 3820 doesnt come with stock fan? & what do u mean by there is an increase in the latency of the ram which is not good for gaming

The GTX660 is better.
The 2011 socket line does not come with stock coolers because Intel knows enthusiasts would use watercooling or a high end aftermarket cooler.

The GTX660 is better.
Ouch. is 10MB Cache & 8MB cache make a different?

I would rather go with the 3770k because it should still perform well and you have the potential to overclock it.

The GTX660 is better.
The 6970 is actually faster, but it's last gen.

And if you are willing to pay 800$ on the CPU + motherboard, don't cheap out on the GPU, it's the most improtant in gaming.

Get an HD 7970 Ghz edition or a regular HD 7970 and overclock it, and you'll have the best performing gaming rig right now .