Any Martial Artists here

1chalupa

I am just curious to see if there are any martial artists on this forum. if you are one give some details 

I have been doing american kenpo karate for 13 years, i have a second degree black belt.

I have also dabbled in BJJ and Muay Thai. I also practice with weapons my favorite is the sword 

I am a master of Suiminjutsu... It's basically sleeping...

I practiced Arnis/Kali in High Schoool... Only the basic techniques though...

When I was a kid, I took karate for like 3 months.

I went in a white belt, I came out a white belt.  No stripes.

Fear me.  I will DESTROY anyone who attacks me by assaulting them in ways so ineffectively they fall to the ground in hysterics, where I will step on them.

I remember the sensei requiring everyone in the class to buy protective gear, like crotch guards for practice.  No one ever brought the crotch guards.  He kept asking if anyone brought it because he wanted to use them as the targets but NO ONE took THAT bait.  We all pretended we kept forgetting, each and every week.

I remember trying to break a cement bar with my hand once, but was too craven and afraid that I rand behind my younger cousin two years my junior.  He went up to it and sneezed on it and it snapped in two.  Show off.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I've been taking HapKido for two years. I'm still on my Red Belt because literally suck balls. (I still flinch when someone charges at me QaQ)

On and off. I was a purple belt when I was around 9? years-old in karate. I quit since I moved and it was kind of expensive. It was fun and as a kid who looked up to Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, it was cool to be doing something similar to them. At age 13 or 14, I went to a "McDojo" as some people called it. Basically, it's a place that cashes in on people wanting to learn karate after seeing martial arts films like Karate Kid. Personally, it just didn't fit me and it was expensive. One thing, which I never verified, was that the owner used to be a Power Rangers stuntman. That was kind of cool. Sadly, he never became someone like Reuben Langdon, Daniel Southworth, or Johnny Yong Bosch all of who became involved in a games and films as stuntmen, motion capture performers, or actors and voice actors.

After that, my dad looked around and found a small place that coincidentally, my distant cousin-in-law - his brother married my cousin - and nephews? - my cousin's kids - went to. Actually, said cousin-in-law was an instructor along with the co-owners - I think they're co-owners. There, I learned Taekwondo, but later off branched off and bit more than I could chew - exercising without rest will kill you. What happened besides exhaustion is that I did become a bit arrogant and some unfortunate injuries both because of said exhaustion and stupid luck sort of "crippled". One, I think some of my muscles are torn and exhausted even today. Two, I was dropped and fell on my right knee cap due to a accident in gym at school - it haunts me even today. And three, being stupid and having a stupid desk lead to tendinitis in my right wrist. Long story short, I basically injured myself and had to cope with them - I fight left-handed and learned to do a lot with my left hand along with being a bit more humble.

Anyway, the styles I learned there was a weird mix since one of the owners participates in MMA and a lot of the instructors and students come from different places. I learnt some Kyokushin karate, Muay Thai, boxing, T'ai Chi Chu'an, judo, Shotokan karate, Bajiquan, Wing Chun, Baguazhang, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Hapkido, wrestling, Kendo - yes, I learned a bit on using katana -, how to use nunchuku - sort of -, and probably more that I'm not aware of or remember. Amazing, huh? Yes and no. Yes, because you're exposed to different styles. No, because you can't do shit if you're not practicing or even staying for long enough.

For reference on some of the styles: Wing Chun is the original martial arts that Bruce Lee used and was taught by his master, Ip Man. Baguazhang is the main style that Airbenders use in the Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. Kyoukushin is the style Jin Kazama from Tekken switches to unlearn Mishima Style Fighting Karate - not "real" by the way. Bajiquan is the style Leo Kliesen uses in Tekken.

On and off, I ended up as a red belt, but I never felt like I deserved it and with the sudden onset of anxiety, I pretty much stopped showing up for classes except for T'ai chi chu'an as a way to unwind and learn to relax again along with warm-ups based entirely on boxing and Muay Thai. Huh, thinking about that, I might have learned some Dutch kickboxing then... Too many martial arts styles... Let's just call it a "form" Jeet Kune Do which is actually a philosophy of figuring what works and what doesn't for the individual. Bruce Lee's fighting style is his own JKD as is say, Jack Dempsey's fighting style is his own JKD.

Whatever, probably should work out more and I'd like to learn Savate's footwork. Savate, by the way, is apparently what Cowboy Bebop's Spike Spiegel uses along with other styles.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

wow, never would of guessed this many people.   I've always thought that were not many martial artists out there. 

I was practicing Shotokan karate until I was able to purchase firearms.

I've trained in a few martial arts. But right now im concidering historical european martial arts.

What i've tried so far

Karate
Kendo

Iaido

Taekwondo

Wushu

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

--Snip--

Savate looks pretty cool. And terrifying at the same time

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

In my earlier life I spent a bit of time with Shotokan and Jujitsu but the longest period I practised for was around 12 years which was in Kuk Sool Wan. 5 years of which I spent instructing. I had reached 2nd degree black looking at 3rd before I moved onto various styles of Kung Fu. All of this ended for two reasons; first was a head on car crash which left me with occipital neuralgia and second was kids :)

At some point in the future I would like to go back to MA (with my kids - especially since they are girls) and take up Krav Maga.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

In my earlier life I spent a bit of time with Shotokan and Jujitsu but the longest period I practised for was around 12 years which was in Kuk Sool Wan. 5 years of which I spent instructing. I had reached 2nd degree black looking at 3rd before I moved onto various styles of Kung Fu. All of this ended for two reasons; first was a head on car crash which left me with occipital neuralgia and second was kids :)

At some point in the future I would like to go back to MA (with my kids - especially since they are girls) and take up Krav Maga.

Ouch.. Have you made a full recovery?

Ouch.. Have you made a full recovery?

Well it's better these days, though it can be still be triggered at times by increased blood pressure/excursion sadly. The crash happened about 9 years ago.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Well, it's better these days, the crash happened about 9 years ago. Though it can be still be triggered at times by increased blood pressure/excursion sadly.

Things like this suck  -_-

I've got something called Sciatica (Or at least that's what wikipedia tells me is the translation) which causes pain and numbness in the lower back and legs.

So martial arts centered around kicks are a big problem for me nowadays.

Savate looks pretty cool. And terrifying at the same time

Canne de combat is basically Savate with canes which is what people used since swords were outlawed and hard to come by back then. Both were "essential" for survival on French streets back then.

Kind of like jailhouse rock or 52 hand blocks which apparently is a prison survival martial art.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Who needs a belt to kick ass lol

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Things like this suck  -_-

I've got something called Sciatica (Or at least that's what wikipedia tells me is the translation) which causes pain and numbness in the lower back and legs.

So martial arts centered around kicks are a big problem for me nowadays.

Aww that's really nasty! I'm also quite familiar with Sciatica; the irritation/compression of the sciatic nerve. A remnant from my blue collar work days which were spent lifting things like washing machines and fridge freezers up flights of stairs. Though back problems plague me much less these days (just an occasional episode every 6 months) I can truly sympathise.

When training I used to say things like: Pain is for the weak... I have since reconsidered such statements. I think once one has to live with pain in the region of these kind of magnitudes one gains a new appreciation for what life really means. The pain changes who you are, gradually over many years, it will change/remove pieces of you very slowly without notice until something different remains.

How did you injure yourself?

Canne de combat is basically Savate with canes which is what people used since swords were outlawed and hard to come by back then. Both were "essential" for survival on French streets back then.

--cane fight--

Kind of like jailhouse rock or 52 hand blocks which apparently is a prison survival martial art.

--52--

I knew about the cane fighting from before^^ I am sure there is at least one old man in france that you don't want to mess with  :lol:

The second video was pretty interesting. The exercises with the rocks under each foot looks like it would be great for core and leg strenght. 

The guard on the guy at 4:00 is a bit odd though. 

Aww that's really nasty! I'm also quite familiar with Sciatica; the irritation/compression of the sciatic nerve. A remnant from my blue collar work days which were spent lifting things like washing machines and fridge freezers up flights of stairs. Though back problems plague me much less these days (just an occasional episode every 6 months) I can truly sympathise.

When training I used to say things like: Pain is for the weak... I have since reconsidered such statements. I think once one has to live with pain in the region of these kind of magnitudes one gains a new appreciation for what life really means. The pain changes who you are, gradually over many years, it will change/remove pieces of you very slowly without notice until something different remains.

How did you injure yourself?

Haha.. Yeah.. The pain is for the weak thing is something you only say until you're really in pain. 

I injured myself in much the same way you did.. Lifting heavy things 

It's gotten better with regular walks but it was a bit too much during the first year so i had to take a break from martial arts for a while.

And that led to my body getting stiff and now i can barely do a simple mid kick. Which sucks quite a lot since i was quite proud of my axe kick...

I did Karate for 10 years and quit last year because the Dojo was turning to pure crap. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I did Karate for 10 years and quit last year because the Dojo was turning to pure crap. 

Hehe that's actually the reason I quit Kuk Sool Wan. My dojo turned to crap and our master had a mid life crisis (decided to pretty much self destruct); cheated on his wife with a much younger student and went on a massive megalomania trip trashing our reputation in the area. Now, years on (I watch his activity via Facebook) his children still won't speak to him.

Hehe that's actually the reason I quit Kuk Sool Wan. My dojo turned to crap and our master had a mid life crisis (decided to pretty much self destruct); cheated on his wife with a much younger student and went on a massive megalomania trip trashing our reputation in the area. Now, years on (I watch his activity via Facebook) his children still won't speak to him.

Dojos turning sour is pretty common huh?

I don't think you want to know what kuk means in swedish though. 

I don't think you want to know what kuk means in swedish though. 

Oh my!  :blush:

Wouldn't have a clue. I haven't been anywhere else since. Basically the Sensi began to have favourite and dismiss others. Just got sick of it and refused to go anymore. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Oh god. I am not surprised about his children at all. 

Took Karate when I was younger. uhh does Tai Chi count? 

My father taught me a bunch of offensive and defensive techniques but I don't know if it was some form of martial art or not. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^