Sign in to follow this  
Aniallation

Weird electrical feeling on metal HTC's when charging

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have three HTC phones, a MyTouch 4G (aka Panache), a Vivid (aka Raider) and the One M8. All of them have metal backs, and all of them I charge through the OEM HTC One M8 charger. When charging, I notice that if you were to lightly stroke your bare finger across the metal back of the device, it's not smooth like when it's not charging. It's not an easily describable feeling but it's a sort of tingling feel, like there's an electrical current going through the metal back, vibrating very slightly under your finger as you lightly move it across the surface. I also noticed the same thing happen on my metal Toshiba laptop when I had it plugged in using an aftermarket Targus charger that only had a two prong plug. On the OEM Toshiba charger with the grounded three prong plug it doesn't happen. Using the either the original grounded or non-grounded Targus charger on my Asus laptop however doesn't cause tingling. Is there any explanation as to why this happens in phones? It's not like they have grounded USB wall chargers.

"Rawr XD"

This is normal its just a build up of static (loose electrons) . Most electrical devices that are metal do this.

-------------------
|   DESKTOP    |
-------------------

Intel I7-6850K (4.4Ghz) MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-3200mhz | x2 MSI Gaming 1080Ti  | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + Samsung 850 Evo (1TB) | IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

-------------------
|     SERVER     |
-------------------

X2 Intel Xeon E5-2670 (16 core 32 thread) | Intel S2600CPJ Motherboard | Samsung 128GB ECC DDDR3 1600Mhz (16 x 8GB )

LSI 9207-8I RAID Controller (IT mode) | X2 Intel 750W 80+ Platinum redundant PSU's | Lots of SSD's & HDD's!  | Intel P4000M series case.

------------------------
| NETWORKING LAB |
-------------------------

X2 CISCO 3845-MB ISR Routers | X3 CISCO 3560 24 port POE L3 switches | X2 CISCO 2811 ISR's | X2 CISCO 1841 ISR's 

Because it isn't grounded. When you touch it, you are acting as the ground, and that tingle is the "loose" electricity going into your body. It won't harm you, but it is weird.

It happened to my old computer when it wasn't on a grounded outlet. Anything metal gave me the tingly feeling.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 4GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, and Intel 7260 wireless card + Windows 7 Professional x64

Main PC: Look at my profile you lazy skrublord