Apple up to no good? They could possibly be intentionally slowing down older devices.

DeViLzzz

I love this video.

This is my favourite video. 

haha you made my day :)

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

The term "planned obsolescence" no longer seems adequate enough, here's a few ones I was thinking of to describe this

-Forced Obsolescence in the 1st degree

-Blunt Force Obsolescence

-"Because fuck poor people, that's why"

-Grand Tech Larceny

-Ye olde humbug!

What do you guys think?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah if you do update. How many Android devices get OS updates for 4-5 years ? 

and google does it for their nexus devices albeit not for that long, though that's what custom ROM's does, i bet you can flash some 4.4 rom on a devices that originally ran 2.2-2.3 that's old as the iphone 4 if not older

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It is an OS on a gosh darn phone.  I don't think they change that much in that devices should be so sluggish from year to year.  Guaranteed they are gimping devices.

Do you have any solid grounds on this? You calling it "guaranteed", with such an baseless theory, makes you look like a desperate troll.

Personal example, I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 7.1. It is about as fast as it was when i bought it, when it had iOS 5.0. Whatever performance reduction there was, is practically minute, and impossible to notice unless I run a 30 minute test with iOS 5.0 iPhone 4S side-by-side. And how much speed difference was there? About a third of a second at the absolute worst. All of what you are saying is pure hyperbole; a blatant exaggeration of what is actually happening.

Look, if you hate Apple with a passion, then so be it. Just don't shove your opinion down everybody else's throats, using random junk you found on the internet to "prove your point".

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

There is no real evidence, just what people search on google. What i hink happens is that we see the new iphone come out and we rationlize getting it by making ourselfs think our current one is slow

thats like complaining an XP machine is slow after putting 7 on it. Ios7 is going to require more, making the device slower

I know. But it was terrible. I never want to go back to those days again.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Before I switched to my Galaxy S5 my iPhone 4S was pretty laggy and Safari always crashed on it so it's not much of a surprise

Life.exe is missing

This is why I will always stick to Android...  ohhh Samsung is slowing my phone down?... no problem let me just go grab Cyanogenmod ROM. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

has the anti-Apple fear mongering sunken this low?

Unfortunately for some people it has

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

isn't this old news?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised of other companies did the same, might explain why you need to defrag your HDD with windows every now and then.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Personally my 3gs on ios 6.0.0 jailbroken still runs like a boss tbh, runs even better then it did on ios 5

On my iphone 4 on the other hand , ios 6 felt faster then ios 7 for me (texting, using safari to browse stuff etc),but i haven't tried out 7.1.x yet 

And... this proves what, exactly?

The older IPhones becoming slower is not a deliberate action by Apple. It is simply due to the fact that the newer IOS versions are designed for newer hardware in mind. It is as simple as that.

Yet another tin foil hat conspiracy that people keep falling for... has the anti-Apple fear mongering sunken this low?

Hate to say it, but I agree with this comment.

One thing to remember is that this does not happen with other phones though, so there is that. Anyway there are a few possibilities.

1) Apple really is doing it on purpose. This is a real possibility but we don't have any solid evidence for it.

2) iOS is getting more and more bloated with each release while Android releases often stay roughly the same or improve in performance. This would explain why it only happens with iOS updates and not Android updates.

3) Apple are just lazy and do half assed support for older devices. This is entirely possible as well since we often see certain new functions in iOS being removed from updates to older devices. Multitasking, Siri, transparency and many more.

Just test the devices and be done with it...

isn't this old news?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised of other companies did the same, might explain why you need to defrag your HDD with windows every now and then.

Ehhh... You might want to look up how a HDD works. Defrag is not some planned obsolescence, it's just how hard drives work and Microsoft have been trying to prevent it in newer releases of Windows.

Hate to say it, but I agree with this comment.

One thing to remember is that this does not happen with other phones though, so there is that. Anyway there are a few possibilities.

1) Apple really is doing it on purpose. This is a real possibility but we don't have any solid evidence for it.

2) iOS is getting more and more bloated with each release while Android releases often stay roughly the same or improve in performance. This would explain why it only happens with iOS updates and not Android updates.

3) Apple are just lazy and do half assed support for older devices. This is entirely possible as well since we often see certain new functions in iOS being removed from updates to older devices. Multitasking, Siri, transparency and many more.

Not that I care enough to hold a position on this either way but for the sake of argument let me address that: Apple doesn't really HAVE to push the updates to the older devices if it's just a matter of the new features hitting performance. A better argument is simply that they're trying to avoid the great deal of fragmentation that occurs on Android. This updates of new devices works both as a way to unify the platform for developers AND encourage users to upgrade since you get to see some of those new features and software but realize that the phone is obsolete for them.

Now I don't think this is just a matter of "let's make old devices useless" However planned obsolescence is not something that I agree with, I understand fragmentation is frustrating for devs but there's got to be a better way to encourage upgrades, the obvious one being that you need to revise your pricing structure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It was obvious on an iPad 2 going from iOS 5 to iOS 7.

Well my 3G turned into a slouch on iOS 4. I guess 412MHz ARMv6 and 128Mb RAM devices do that.

I know iPhone 4,users weren't too happy with iOS 7. I'd get annoyed just turning the WiFi on for my mum (she struggles with technology), but with 7.1 performance is much better.

You'd be better off correlating it with "1st release software buggy"

But newer software usually has higher running requirements.

right...this really pisses me off....hi i have a (insert tech item here) and its now 4 years old but the latest os you have released is very slow...blah blah blah..........

ok here is an idea F*******ING UPGRADE judas priest, its slow because your shit is old and unlike the pc market, the mobile space is making huge leaps in processing powere every year. so now OS devs shouldnt be making software that taks full advantage of the power avalible just in case some tight arse wants t run it on there original iphone? BS

this was known for a long time. That's why i buy android.

You can always root and install custom OS's.

and im sorry but if you have to root your phone just to get the latest updates then your phone is shit and that is a piss poor model to work off

that leads me nicley into android. why is no one giving them shit for not even givinf there customers the new os. seriously google make a new update and then it takes months to get it if your on the latest handset, and thats if you get it at all on anything else. my desire hd stopped getting updates 9 months in......thats a joke

apple optimise there os for the latest handsets and if that means that the old handsets get left behind then so be it. the fact is that with contracts lasting 2 years and phones holding there prices so well that there is no need to be on a phone older than 2 years. my iphone 5 is worth £250 and new iphone on contract 100-150 easy game

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Do you have any solid grounds on this? You calling it "guaranteed", with such an baseless theory, makes you look like a desperate troll.

Personal example, I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 7.1. It is about as fast as it was when i bought it, when it had iOS 5.0. Whatever performance reduction there was, is practically minute, and impossible to notice unless I run a 30 minute test with iOS 5.0 iPhone 4S side-by-side. And how much speed difference was there? About a third of a second at the absolute worst. All of what you are saying is pure hyperbole; a blatant exaggeration of what is actually happening.

Look, if you hate Apple with a passion, then so be it. Just don't shove your opinion down everybody else's throats, using random junk you found on the internet to "prove your point".

1.  I don't like everything Apple but  I have one product with them that I like and it serves it's purpose.  My experiences with Apple have been good.

2.  Based on more and more information I am looking at yes I do believe they are gimping older devices intentionally.

3.  Just because someone has a different view on this doesn't mean you call them a troll.

4.  Don't respond to any of my comments again as it is clear it is not worth my time reading what you have to say.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

right...this really pisses me off....hi i have a (insert tech item here) and its now 4 years old but the latest os you have released is very slow...blah blah blah..........

ok here is an idea F*******ING UPGRADE judas priest, its slow because your shit is old and unlike the pc market, the mobile space is making huge leaps in processing powere every year. so now OS devs shouldnt be making software that taks full advantage of the power avalible just in case some tight arse wants t run it on there original iphone? BS

and im sorry but if you have to root your phone just to get the latest updates then your phone is shit and that is a piss poor model to work off

that leads me nicley into android. why is no one giving them shit for not even givinf there customers the new os. seriously google make a new update and then it takes months to get it if your on the latest handset, and thats if you get it at all on anything else. my desire hd stopped getting updates 9 months in......thats a joke

apple optimise there os for the latest handsets and if that means that the old handsets get left behind then so be it. the fact is that with contracts lasting 2 years and phones holding there prices so well that there is no need to be on a phone older than 2 years. my iphone 5 is worth £250 and new iphone on contract 100-150 easy game

Have you ever though that some people simply CAN'T upgrade? Before you start talking out your ass, maybe you should THINK before you type something.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm not convinced.

As these trends are based on what people search for on Google, this information might have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but with people seemingly confirming the allegations on many forums,  they have certainly fuelled the rumours. it will be interesting to see if the same thing happens when the iPhone 6 is releases later this year.

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

http://www.eteknix.com/apple-reportedly-slowing-down-older-devices/

New research reportedly shows that Apple could be slowing down older devices when releasing new ones in an effort to prompt users buying the latest model.

For more information go to the article provided by eTeknix.

No surprise here.  People always ask me why I hate Apple.  It's because of this shit.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Have you ever though that some people simply CAN'T upgrade? Before you start talking out your ass, maybe you should THINK before you type something.

Y can't you upgrade?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Y can't you upgrade?

Money is a pretty big factor if you ask me.

And for cell phones, contracts can be a bitch.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

What a bunch of idiots (website) claiming that Apple intentionally degrade the performance,

First, the whole slowing down things has only happened twice, iPhone 3G and 4, but they also had significantly worse hardware compared to their successors namely the 3GS and the 4S.

3G had 128MB RAM while 3GS had 256MB RAM. iOS 4 brought multitasking and wallpaper support which NEEDS more RAM, hence the slowness and the only way to fix it was to remove it

iOS 7 was a significant update. There were more animations, transitions and overall needed more graphical horsepower. Again the 4 had a single core processor while all its successors had a dual core processor with 7x more graphics power which again justifies what happened. And even after the update, they actually spent time optimizing it on old hardware and gave a huge performance boost in iOS 7.1 update

My 4S and iPad 3 on iOS 7.1 is as fast as when i bought them with iOS 5 and my old 3GS runs like a boss on iOS 6. Similar android phones never lasted this long

Secondly, even if they were crippling performance, you think people wouldn't notice. My friends have Samsung phones and they're done with Samsung because of its poor performance.

And lastly, each update gets more heavier and more demanding, its natural that it will be slow on an older hardware. iOS updates always gets a ton of new features and getting extra functionality from your phone which you didn't pay for is always something that people take for granted. And the fact that they're actually spending time optimizing to make it as snappy as before for each device is a huge plus point that is almost non-existent with other manufacturers including Google (only two years support)

And I'm sure some sworn apple hater wrote that piece of article because that's just not the reality (examples include all other iOS devices and improvement in performance on the iPhone 4)

1.  I don't like everything Apple but  I have one product with them that I like and it serves it's purpose.  My experiences with Apple have been good.

2.  Based on more and more information I am looking at yes I do believe they are gimping older devices intentionally.

3.  Just because someone has a different view on this doesn't mean you call them a troll.

4.  Don't respond to any of my comments again as it is clear it is not worth my time reading what you have to say.

1) Then what is the point of this thread? Something that just happens to align with your personal suspicions automatically makes it true?

2) Show me the papers. As the internet says it; "pics or it didn't happen". I kept asking for evidence, but you refuse to provide any, asides from the OP.

3) The problem is, you are forcing your views to look like a general fact, and attacking whoever disagrees with you. That is the key definition of trolling. 

4) With that level of hostility, nobody is going to take you seriously either. Take a good read at my profile message.

This entire thread is a joke, and your complete lack of constructivism or professionalism is absolutely hilarious. Another round of circle-jerking, sir?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Are you fucking kidding me? This is a load of shit. Because internet searches tell us legitimate facts about hardware. Apple is actually supporting devices way longer than other manufacturers- you're lucky to get maybe one or two major updates on many Android phones. An iphone from 2010 is still supported! Pretty sure the Nexus is still on Gingerbread...

Also, how would Apple slow down a 3GS if there hasn't been new software for it since 2012?

Thirdly, if this was reported on Android devices, everyone's post would look like this.

I have the note 3 and i didn't root it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

1) Then what is the point of this thread? Something that just happens to align with your personal suspicions automatically makes it true?

2) Show me the papers. As the internet says it; "pics or it didn't happen". I kept asking for evidence, but you refuse to provide any, asides from the OP.

3) The problem is, you are forcing your views to look like a general fact, and attacking whoever disagrees with you. That is the key definition of trolling. 

4) With that level of hostility, nobody is going to take you seriously either. Take a good read at my profile message.

This entire thread is a joke, and your complete lack of constructivism or professionalism is absolutely hilarious. Another round of circle-jerking, sir?

Clearly you are troll.  I put up a topic which stated Apple was up to no good and the article that is trying to support that fact.  Simple as that.  Stop being rude and stop trolling.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S