Do I need a cooler if I don't have a case

Speedbird

Hi.

So I have an old motherboard, old CPU and old RAM and I want to find out if the CPU is overclocked. The only problem is that the CPU cooler is broken. So my question is: if I run a system outside the case in a well-ventilated room (with doors and windows open), do I really need a CPU cooler? This will only be temporary, I just want to find out the clockspeed and voltage of that Pentium 4.

Thanks in advance.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I would say that you should always have some sort of cooler on the CPU, even if it's temporary in a well-ventilated room.

Hi.

So I have an old motherboard, old CPU and old RAM and I want to find out if the CPU is overclocked. The only problem is that the CPU cooler is broken. So my question is: if I run a system outside the case in a well-ventilated room (with doors and windows open), do I really need a CPU cooler? This will only be temporary, I just want to find out the clockspeed and voltage of that Pentium 4.

Thanks in advance.

YES do not even attempty to turn it on, even if you can just mount the heatsink that would be better

A bare CPU with nothing on will most likely die

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

lol u have to have a cpu cooler no questions asked, doesnt matter how shit or good but have to have one.. Periiod, unless u live in antartica and ur room is minus lelele

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

I think I'll use my current Socket 478 cooler. A retention module pin is missing, but I think that it's okay, as long as I keep the motherboard horizontal.

if by broken you mean that the fan doesn't work.....and you can get a desk fan to blow on it...maybe? To a point that is what a cpu fan is doing anyway.

But if your wanting to run the cpu with no cooler/heatsink what so ever, then as overs have said, No.

I think I'll use my current Socket 478 cooler. A retention module pin is missing, but I think that it's okay, as long as I keep the motherboard horizontal.

Not really, it needs pressure to ensure that heat can dissipate away through the heatsink, 

you need to apply thermal paste too!

Why would not having a case make something run cooler? A case AIDS in cooling,

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not really, it needs pressure to ensure that heat can dissipate away through the heatsink, 

you need to apply thermal paste too!

Why would not having a case make something run cooler? A case AIDS in cooling,

I got thermal paste, the fan works, but I just doesn't attach to the cooler backplate.

lol u have to have a cpu cooler no questions asked, doesnt matter how shit or good but have to have one.. Periiod, unless u live in antartica and ur room is minus lelele

no need for the sarcasm m8

1v1 me on Uluru

#throngarang fight

this doesn't sound like a big problem for a quick testrun, if it's horizontal :>

It is horizontal.

no need for the sarcasm m8

1v1 me on Uluru

#throngarang fight

shut up  :mellow:

:P

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

My old pc had the heatsink broken and it would turn itself off about 5 seconds after booting windows because of the heat. That chip heats up to 100 degrees a lot faster than you would think. In our outside of a case doesn't matter since it wont have time to heat up the whole room before overheating itself.