AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

LOUD ASS CARDS, AMD

LAVA-LIKE TEMPERATURES, AMD

MANTLE, USELESS.

Mantle useless? OK then let me just go back to enjoying the awful framerate in battlefield without it.

Maybe to people who aren't interested in pushing 120+FPS Mantle is useless but pretty much everyone I know loves it and wish we had it on BF3.

To be honest we wish we had it for starcraft now there is a game that could do with mantle.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

LOUD ASS CARDS, AMD

LAVA-LIKE TEMPERATURES, AMD

MANTLE, USELESS.

Loud ass cards amd:  Bullshit, the Sapphire Vapor X and Tri X are realy quiet.

LAVA like temps: Also bullshit, again check the temps of the Vapor X

Mantle useless: also an arguiment based on nothing, because mantle does improve frame rates significantly.

So your standpoints are based on nothing, besides fanboyism i guess?

What the fuck is this? AMD's 290 competes with the 780 and is $100 less.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Yeah, I have tried to use it but I can't since I own a pair of 6850s... It was the only reason why I bothered to actually re-install that Gaming Evolved app.

Yea, and what if i have a GTX 480? I couldnt run shadowplay if i wanted too.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

All these perspectives are quite interesting I have to admit... been reading the whole topic so far.

But since I am not on any budget at all I only buy high end GPUs compare them live to each other and then decide which one to keep in the benchmark/gaming rig.

And usually the competitor isn´t that much worse this perfect for my HTPC to relax and play the latest titles on the couch...

Only thing that interests me is the performance... make and model don´t matter to me.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Yeah, I have tried to use it but I can't since I own a pair of 6850s... It was the only reason why I bothered to actually re-install that Gaming Evolved app.

Well what did you expect, the VCE encoding engine that the gaming evolved app uses was introduced with the GCN architecture :)

I tried it on my 280x and it seemed to work quite well. I just wish it could record mantle gameplay.

Mantle useless? OK then let me just go back to enjoying the awful framerate in battlefield without it.

Maybe to people who aren't interested in pushing 120+FPS Mantle is useless but pretty much everyone I know loves it and wish we had it on BF3.

To be honest we wish we had it for starcraft now there is a game that could do with mantle.

Yeah I'm quite happy with mantle, and I will also be very happy with dx12 if it includes similar overhead improvements. My Minimum FPS in bf4 with mantle is very impressive, never drops below 60 on high settings @1080p with 2xmsaa, and is usually well above. In DX11 mode I get frequent cpu bound fps drops to ~40-45 when looking at certain parts of the map (its especially bad on seige of shanghai). With mantle I just get butter smooth fps the entire time.

Lower overhead and less bottlenecks is always a good thing.

nvm

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Funny, I never look at my power bill and wish i had bought an nvidia card...

Funny now that you mention it :D I have most of the time at least 2 or 3 computers running and I never care about the power bill... maybe that´s because my company pays that for me lol ;) . So who cares in all reality really about that?

I mean c´mon if you are that cheap... maybe you shouldn´t buy a GPU that has a TDP of 250+ Watts hahaha.

Get then a 750 Ti instead :D .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Funny now that you mention it :D I have most of the time at least 2 or 3 computers running and I never care about the power bill... maybe that´s because my company pays that for me lol ;) . So who cares in all reality really about that?

I mean c´mon if you are that cheap... maybe you shouldn´t buy a GPU that has a TDP of 250+ Watts hahaha.

Get then a 750 Ti instead :D .

There is a massive difference in terms of costs of energy around the world. Believe me, powerbills are a major issue in some countries.

Listen, im not saying that the difference is extreme but powerbills are not the only reason to make cards more energy efficient.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

There is a massive difference in terms of costs of energy around the world. Believe me, powerbills are a major issue in some countries.

Listen, im not saying that the difference is extreme but powerbills are not the only reason to make cards more energy efficient.

Hey no sweat I live more or less in 2 countries USA and Germany and I know that electrical power is way more expensive in Germany than in the US. But I don´t mean to be an arrogant fu.., I was just pointing out if someone wants to go for a highend GPU he/she shouldn´t complain about the Watts that the card eats.

Like you buy a new Corvette and want to enjoy the 455HP but complain afterwards that the beast swallows 1 gallon of gas on 11 miles (or in Europe 21 liters on 100km)

Hey no sweat I live more or less in 2 countries USA and Germany and I know that electrical power is way more expensive in Germany than in the US. But I don´t mean to be an arrogant fu.., I was just pointing out if someone wants to go for a highend GPU he/she shouldn´t complain about the Watts that the card eats.

Like you buy a new Corvette and want to enjoy the 455HP but complain afterwards that the beast swallows 1 gallon of gas on 11 miles (or in Europe 21 liters on 100km)

I agree that you can't really complain about a it eating a lot of watts but you can observe how two pretty quel. but I do think that AMD kinda gets off a little too easy in terms of power consumtion and heat output because they are the "nice guys".

Lets face it. AMD is the easier company to like, more open source(Or at least claiming to be so.. ), the underdog.....I have owned both Nvidia and AMD. I try to look at at the specific series or specific card instead of looking at brand. But I found it very close to unforgiveable AMD to put out reference cards that were a heatwave waiting to happen. Aftermarket versions are meant to be about better than needed cooling for overclocking and looks....Not the thing needed for it to survive in a hotter than average climate.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

lets make us a cup of tea, im going to have a good time reading the comments while i enjoy my cheap as fuck 270x 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

i like amd.. but i have to agree.. nvidia's been pulling out some GREAT apps, and new tech (gsync looks awesome..)...meanwhile amd.. has been kicking stones on the way home... 

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

Somewhat AMD is shooting itself in the foot by sharing its work as open standards instead of keeping it locked down to make money and growing the brand like NVidia is doing

Personally I think AMD IS CURRENTLY behind Nvidia. I've been using AMD ever since I got my first GPU and I loved it. They still make cost effective GPU and APU solutions but in terms of raw performance and technology advancement Nvidia has the edge.... for now. :)

I agree that you can't really complain about a it eating a lot of watts but you can observe how two pretty quel. but I do think that AMD kinda gets off a little too easy in terms of power consumtion and heat output because they are the "nice guys".

Lets face it. AMD is the easier company to like, more open source(Or at least claiming to be so.. ), the underdog.....I have owned both Nvidia and AMD. I try to look at at the specific series or specific card instead of looking at brand. But I found it very close to unforgiveable AMD to put out reference cards that were a heatwave waiting to happen. Aftermarket versions are meant to be about better than needed cooling for overclocking and looks....Not the thing needed for it to survive in a hotter than average climate.

Yeah AMD is a bit on the hotter side that´s true and undeniable with the current GPU generation. I mean you´ll always get what you pay for, right?

But that doesn´t make the chip itself a bad chip. What bothers me really about the R9 290 series isn´t the Hawaii chip (I use water cooling anyways), it´s the fact that you´ve got 4 GB VRAM around this nice chip and AMD really dared to put cheap ass VRAM on that, that even the hand picked samples that they sent to the youtubers were bad overclockers... not to mention how many people struggled with blackscreen because of these bad RAM.

Now the board partners improved a lot about this no doubt, but I think it´s bad for the image. Bad such as when you want to make your new product attractive to professional users. The common users don´t mind too much about that... in fact 90% of all people out there don´t OC a single piece of their hardware. They just want the promised performance right out of the box.

AMD has totally lost the race in terms of performance and innovation against Intel on the CPU side, and as a matter of fact I don´t recommend to customers or friends, unless they are on a really tight budget (which doesn´t happen too often cause I am more known for custom builts), an AMD CPU.

But for GPUs I think it would be foolish to look just into the green corner. AMD has in fact nice GPUs to offer and good board partners that help to make good products better. The only thing that bothers me kind of are moves like with the R9 290 and R9 290X... sure they had pressure and bring a chip to compete with nVidia, which they made IMHO, but why on earth bring a R9 290 that is pretty much as fast as the flagship R9 290X and underprize it so hard. They really should have left some more space in between these cards or bring exclusive features for the R9 290X like 8GB VRAM. This hurts your own company in terms of making money because some exceptions most people (and that´s the right way unless you´ve got the extra money to spend) buy the cheaper R9 290 and get pretty much the same out of it.

In terms of noise... to be real honest with all of you. I hate all GPU fans in my highend computer. The watercooling is so much better in temp and noise level that it´s not even funny anymore. But surely I understand that not everyone wants or can even afford a custom water cooled loop, and please take this with a grain of salt since this counts only for my benchmark/gaming machine :) .

Yeah AMD is a bit on the hotter side that´s true and undeniable with the current GPU generation. I mean you´ll always get what you pay for, right?

But that doesn´t make the chip itself a bad chip. What bothers me really about the R9 290 series isn´t the Hawaii chip (I use water cooling anyways), it´s the fact that you´ve got 4 GB VRAM around this nice chip and AMD really dared to put cheap ass VRAM on that, that even the hand picked samples that they sent to the youtubers were bad overclockers... not to mention how many people struggled with blackscreen because of these bad RAM.

Now the board partners improved a lot about this no doubt, but I think it´s bad for the image. Bad such as when you want to make your new product attractive to professional users. The common users don´t mind too much about that... in fact 90% of all people out there don´t OC a single piece of their hardware. They just want the promised performance right out of the box.

AMD has totally lost the race in terms of performance and innovation against Intel on the CPU side, and as a matter of fact I don´t recommend to customers or friends, unless they are on a really tight budget (which doesn´t happen too often cause I am more known for custom builts), an AMD CPU.

But for GPUs I think it would be foolish to look just into the green corner. AMD has in fact nice GPUs to offer and good board partners that help to make good products better. The only thing that bothers me kind of are moves like with the R9 290 and R9 290X... sure they had pressure and bring a chip to compete with nVidia, which they made IMHO, but why on earth bring a R9 290 that is pretty much as fast as the flagship R9 290X and underprize it so hard. They really should have left some more space in between these cards or bring exclusive features for the R9 290X like 8GB VRAM. This hurts your own company in terms of making money because some exceptions most people (and that´s the right way unless you´ve got the extra money to spend) buy the cheaper R9 290 and get pretty much the same out of it.

In terms of noise... to be real honest with all of you. I hate all GPU fans in my highend computer. The watercooling is so much better in temp and noise level that it´s not even funny anymore. But surely I understand that not everyone wants or can even afford a custom water cooled loop, and please take this with a grain of salt since this counts only for my benchmark/gaming machine :) .

We fundamentally agree.

There is no real debate with CPUs....Unless you have very specific needs or on a REALLY tight budget, I would never recommend a AMD cpu at this point. The difference in single core performance is completely laughable at this point. But the playing field is far more level when it comes to GPUs.

I try to ignore software and features when comparing. There will always be people saying that this feature is nothing or that this feature is so important that we have to choose this brand....

"but I think it´s bad for the image." And thats exactly my point. You just said it way better really:P I would never just say "Nvidia always" because that is simply bullshit, but like you, I just don't get some of the decisions made.

Sorry, but if you want to compete with Nvidia for top line GPUs like the 290 and 290x then you can't do some of the stuff that you mentioned. And decisions like putting poor quality VRAM also makes me wonder where else they cut corners..

When the 270s/280s/290s came, most sites simply could not recommend them because the cooling was so bad.....Im amazed that something like that could happen when you know how important this is.

Im mostly worried about AMD. We really, really need them as consumers....we need that competion but they are no way nearer to showing consistant improvement financially even after getting all that console money.

Watercooling ofcourse makes the whole heat thing kinda irrelevant. I just can't spend that kind of money right now. Im getting a 2300 dollar build in november, and im not willing to settle on a "cheap" WC solution. When I go watercooling, I will do it right. Until then, im fine with air.

NVIDIA has so much more to offer consumers in comparison to AMD. Shadowplay, Shield Tablet with its ability to stream games and better power consumption in general. I am planning to buy a new graphics card soon and I was quite shocked to learn how far behind AMD is now in terms of functionality. Mantle has yet to prove itself groundbreaking in any way as promised. As a AMD user, I am really quite disappointed over this  :(

Mantle doesn't really matter now that we know DirectX 12 is coming... it'll have the same effect.

AMD still has better bang for your buck. Get an R9 290X for the same price as a GTX 780 non-Ti, and get almost GTX 780 Ti performance (or better if you play 1440P or 4K). The problem just seems to be R9 290 and 290X have higher DOA, BSOD etc rates if Newegg reviews are anything to go by :/

I dunno, I don't see any of the features Nvidia has as more to offer. Regarding Shadowplay, AMD has their own similar program in beta now (GameDVR). Shield Tablet seems pointless to me, and I heard Steam is going to be releasing a handheld that you can stream games to from your PC. Power consumption is meh... on most cards it's actually a lot smaller than most make it out to be. While gaming the R9 280X draws maybe 15-20W more than the GTX 770. The R9 290X draws about 30W more than the GTX 780/780 Ti. The power consumption delta is only a lot bigger (~50W or more) during compute tasks, for which the AMD cards are almost always a lot better than their Nvidia counterpart.

Seems nvidia you just have a tad more assurance that you'll get a high functioning card. I don't think this is an inherent problem with AMD so much as the manufacturers sell more Nvidia cards so put a bit more into the quality control for them.

AMD vs Nvidia... Why not both?

SLIFIRE!

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

lets make us a cup of tea, im going to have a good time reading the comments while i enjoy my cheap as fuck 270x 

and I'l be optimising my future forum experience with ''preferences'' feature.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Never mind this post,

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Never mind this post,

i will find you acting on your best behaviour, turn your back on mother nature 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

Oh believe me, high GPU temperatures matter a lot to me. With 2 6850's running in my toaster, my room heats up really fast. I'd end up sweating 30 minutes into an intensive gaming session. That and the damned equatorial climate in Singapore. I'm definitely going for a cooler and quieter build in the future. One of my 6850s have started making an irritating grinding sound. It's most likely the rusty heat sink on my MSI Cyclone R6850. My PC is really falling apart lol.